Oscar Nominations

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hotbtminla, Jan 22, 2008.

1. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    God help me I'm on-site for this shit.

Sorry, I'm cranky but my Jetta got humped by an SUV on Sunday and I'm rather stiff and sore (not in a good way) and wondering if i really needed another reason to hate people who drive SUVs. Thankfully SUV's have really, really small cocks and no balls to speak of so internal damage was at a minimum, but I got creamed in the face regardless.

Anyway, last thing I wanted to be doing at 4:whatever this morning was a drive over to Beverly Hills for this, regardless of the fact that I'm WGA and on strike, alas my "other" job (the one that pays the bills) requires my presence. This is an ungodly hour of day to ask someone to be functional.

And yes, I'm wondering why I'm compelled to literally live-blog this for LPSG, considering there's probably east coast or European LPSG'er's in a much better state of mind to report on this than me at this hour but whatever. I have nothing else to do, and I'm tired, sore, and peeved. So goddamnit let them do an IP search and say, "Odd... someone here apparently has a large penis."

Without further ado... and reserving hotbtminla comment later after he gets some goddamn sleep... the nominees for the 80th annual Academy Awards are (for the categories I have in front of me):

PICTURE:
    Atonement
    Juno
    Michael Clayton
    No Country for Old Men
    There Will Be Blood

DIRECTOR:
    Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
    Jason Reitman, "Juno"
    Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"
    Joel & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
    Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

ACTRESS:
    Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
    Julie Christie, "Away From Her"
    Marion Cotillard, "La Vie En Rose"
    Laura Linney, "The Savages"
    Ellen Page, "Juno"

ACTOR:
    George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
    Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
    Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd"
    Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"
    Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
    Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"
    Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"
    Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"
    Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
    Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"

SUPPORTING ACTOR:
    Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse Jame by the Coward Robert Ford"
    Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
    Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"
    Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"
    Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
    Diablo Cody, "Juno"
    Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"
    Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
    Brad Bird, "Ratatouille"
    Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
    Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"
    Sarah Polley, "Away From Her"
    Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
    Joel & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
    Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow, am I out of touch. I've seen none of these films.

Sorry to hear about your rear-ender. And you have my deepest condolences on being up at such an ungodly hour.

3. Osiris

Gold Member

Though I highly doubt she will get it, I am pulling for Ruby Dee. She has always been an idol of mine.

4. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Will there be a ceremony this year?

5. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks Gillette. I just got home, and your sympathy is appreciated though the good news is that I experienced traffic like I didn't even know was possible in L.A. I made it back to my house in like 12 minutes. I live in Los Feliz and was coming from Beverly Hills. In "real" distance its about 6 miles, but in "actual" distance it's like Chicago to South Bend, Indiana. All I know this board is prone to exaggeration, and I'm proud to not be one of them, but honest to god, when I looked at the time on my phone... 12 minutes... I didn't cry, not really, but... I felt something... okay fine. I cried.

Anyway, while live-bogging I so wanted to be called out by DJG shouting "Bathroom!! Now!!"

Alas...

6. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    If I can recommend one, see "No Country for Old Men" when it becomes available. I'm a screenwriter, and that was the best fucking screenplay that's been produced so far in this century. Topped off by a performance by Javier Bardem that will give you nightmares, a career-best performance by Tommy Lee Jones (who I wasn't a fan of until this movie), a star-making performance from Josh Brolin, and a criminally ignored (awards-wise) performance by Scottish actress Kelly MacDonald.

7. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Mine too... and she has a very good shot to win because she's a veteran actress, and she's black, a combination which may be irresistible to the Academy ... but she isn't in the movie she's nominated for all that much. I have a feeling this is between Cate Blanchett (who was astonishing as Bob Dylan) and Amy Ryan.

8. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

The only one I've seen is No Country For Old Men - great performances all around and a decent plot but it ended with a whimper not a bang.

9. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Without giving anything away...

When I first saw it in the theatre... my assessment was spot on with yours SP. In fact I was the pariah of my film snob friends for not liking the ending.

Then I watched it again on DVD (awards screener) last weekend and I saw the movie in a completely different light. I definitely noticed the subtlety more than I was on first viewing, when my stomach was in my throat and my knuckles were cutting off the circulation to my head.

I still agree with you in re: whimper. But I found an appreciation for that whimper I didn't expect. To the point that I think "No Country" could damn well be an American classic. And by that I don't mean jingoism, I mean a Western, set in modern-enough West Texas, about simple people in extraordinary circumstances. And a story that reflects so perfectly on American society that it makes me want to cry.

But there were an extraordinary number of good movies this year. And I agree, the performances in "No Country" were sensational all around. I'm personally shocked Kelly MacDonald didn't get more awards buzz. She was devastating. But it was hard to stand out around Javier Bardem. He literally gave me nightmares.

10. Whopper-lee

Gold Member

Albums:
    :biggrin1: Just for a little humor to brighten yo day...
    I'm gonna name my dick Oscar for that evening of the event on the red carpet:biggrin1:
    Add me to the list on nominations:tongue::biggrin1:

11. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whopper, with all do respect, the Oscars are taken VERY (read: TOO) seriously. I'm afraid I'm going to have to properly... assess... your qualifications. I have hand, mouth or ass available.

12. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    does Cate Blanchett really need two nominations? I could see her for supporting, but not with best for Elizabeth. They could've easily given that to Helena Bonham Carter for Sweeney Todd or Keira Knightley for Atonement.

and no James McAvoy! again! hopefully, he gets the BAFTA.

and i'm hoping for Johnny Depp to win for Sweeney. He was too terrific for words.

i'm looking at most of these noms and basically have a problem with most of them. ah well.

13. Novaboy

Gold Member

Albums:

14. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amy Adams or Angelina Jolie could have taken Cate's place in Lead too. I think the Academy just loves them some Cate, so much so that they'll nominate her for a good performance in a shitty, shitty movie.

Had they run HBC in supporting rather than lead I believe she would have been nominated.

Keira was good, but her part is smallish - I know that hasn't stopped them before, Anthony Hopkins won Best Actor for something like 17 minutes of screen time. But that was for playing Hannibal Lecter, a character whose presence permeated the entire film. In Atonement's case, that's McAvoy's movie, and I was kinda bummed he didn't make the cut.

But don't worry Will - McAvoy's day will come, and his being overlooked for Atonement and Last King of Scotland will play into his favor when it comes time to pick a winner. :wink:

15. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    yeah, i really enjoyed Amy Adams' peformance in Enchanted too, but i thought it would've been a longshot for her to get nominated and plus, she wouldn't have a chance in hell of winning.

and they can't love Cate that much to just give her a half-assed nomination like that. i just don't like it.

with McAvoy, it hurts that he doesn't get nominated, but as you say, it may mean that he'll win in the future. (hopefully he does something to get nominated again.)

with HBC, i agree too, but that was a lead role, and she owned it. i actually screamed for her at the end (i had no idea about the events of the play going in to the movie)

and it sucks that i haven't even seen most of the movies mentioned. in the main categories, i've only seen Sweeney Todd, Juno and Atonement and all online too. i have no idea why they were in such limited release.

16. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Two down.

There Will Be Blood - definitely something wrong with me. I was very pleased with the ending.

No Country for Old Men - scary spooky, damned fine acting.

17. ninepointfive

ninepointfive New Member

it is just me or is Juno a Little Miss Sunshine Redux??

I haven't seen anything nominated for anything except Ratouille.. which i thought was bland.

I'd have liked to see Rescue Dawn get some recognition.. Herzog is a master.

18. ninepointfive

ninepointfive New Member

and another thing, i think it's really pathetic that A Scanner Darkly isn't good enough to be one of the "best animated films of the year" according to the grammy's, i mean the academy awards.

19. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    it will be a clash with american and english literature:

Cormac McCarthy vs Ian McEwan,

the first is the author of No Country for Old Men (the man won the pulitzer prize in 2007 with 'the Road'. one of the best book I read in the last months), the second wrote Atonement.

20. smudgey

smudgey Member

Albums:
    Hmm I love Cate, she is second only to Kate in my books, but I think they could've slotted in Angelina Jolie instead of her for lead actress... I mean, she's great and all, but Jolie was soooo much better in A Mighty Heart.

Draft saved Draft deleted