Oscar Winners - blow by blow

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Regarding Three 6 Mafia--when the actors are creating that song in Hustle and Flow, it is the crescendo of the movie. That song, in that movie pulled all the disparent elements together and made it work. The emotional joy and satisfaction of this rather hodge-podge misfit outcast group creating this music at ALL was just an amazing moment. This was not a film about Rap Music, but rather a film about the transcendent power of music. I would recommend it highly.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Lex said:
[...] let's embrace all who struggle and not agrue over who's trauma carries the heaviest post traumatic stress disorder.
I didn't meant to suggest one outweighed the other.
Except you did: "Our current social status mirrors your own (pre the 1960s) in every possible way."

i.e. gays have it worse.

Stronzo said:
I simply found two of Dilznick's posts offensive to me as a gay man. It was to those I took exception.
??? I thought it was just the first one. What's really going on, man?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Chuck64 said:
Dilz... Don't hijack my thread! This is about the Oscars (and Ryan Phillippe)

Thanks for noting our priorities Chuck... Ryan Phillipe HOT! Best Film 54, purely for the amount of flesh exposed. Give the man the award for best ass in the 90's while you are at it:biggrin1:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Sorcerer said:
My sources say Reese is a real cunt to him so...
(I can have my fantasies).
A friend of mine is a producer, and that's where i watched the Oscars, and when his wife mentioned how sweet Reese is, and he just went OFF, listing reasons why Reese is such a horrid bitch. Then the wife said, "you mean SHE is the one that all those stories were about?" and then, "well, then she's just a cunt." LOL!

What really sparked it all is when Reese said the June role "was a dream come true." The producer said, "LIAR!" Then the wife said, "oh, she's sweet." He said that Reese had to basically be forced and leveraged into taking the role. She was dead set against it, and fought it the whole time until filming really got underway, and delayed the start, and then added that she was a fake, and a total bitch.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Chuck64 said:
Yes. That tired old twink used to have a nice ass. * glares at Sorcerer *
Oh, he still does. Did you see the pix of it, taken within the past 6 months to a year of him surfing, and coming outta the water? I gave it a 2nd look, and i don't even like ass.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
novice_btm said:
be careful, i tried that, and ended up DP'd by him and Alex. oh wait, maybe that's what i was trying for, i can't remember. some days it's tough being blond

Don't think that your posts aren't being monitored, either, in case a repeat performance becomes necessary :spank:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
Except you did: "Our current social status mirrors your own (pre the 1960s) in every possible way."
No. I make no indication one outweighs the other. Ours is simply more au courant, that's all.

i.e. gays have it worse.
DD? This is what I don't get. I don't think we 'have it worse'. I think we have it equally bad as you guys once did, and at times still do. But since your particular minority is sanctioned by those bloody Christians they can't (the fundies) use their ol' bible to slam you with that condemnation card. ** I'm ammending this. Yes, right now gays do 'have it worse'. There's no question.

??? I thought it was just the first one. What's really going on, man?
I think you're a bright fellow. If you read all my posts referring to you - you'll be able to see 'what's going on'. I'm sure of it. However, I'll say it one more time: THAT FIRST COMMENT OF YOURS WAS INDELICATE AND (given the nature of the make up of this board's members) inappropriate. I still maintain it was.

The second one to which I refer was this:

I actually got roped into seeing this and it was pretty decent actually. I busted up laughing when Heath Ledger turned his wife over on her stomach. The thing that pisses me off, though, is that it seems like anyone who says anything except "this movie is great" gets labeled as a homophobe.

I've never seen anyone labelled a homophobe who doesn't think Brokeback Mountain is 'a great movie'. I saw "The Wiz", for example, and I thought it stunk. Does disliking "The Wiz" relegate me to racist status? No, I don't think it does.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Stronzo said:
We have an expression for "Suzie Creamcheese" types here in Massachusetts:

"Sugar Bitch"

She was OOOOOZING sugar-bitchery during that speech.

Stronzo, many people would say that a term like this is a gender-based insult which is patently offensive to women. Something could also be said about your post denigrating hip hop, an art form created and popularized by African American youth.

But I'm actually writing this is to encourage you to cut Dilznick a little slack. I read his comment as just playing. As a gay man, it's easy for me to bristle at "insensitive" comments or jokes about me. And yet, I may turn right around and step on someone else's toes without intending or realizing it. If we're going to call foul on people, we need to first make sure our backyard is clean on the same counts. Another option is to take things with humor whenever possible -- and then you can continue to dish with a clean conscience. :wink:

And now, to help save Chuck's thread, where I stand on the issues: Best Picture - Brokeback Mountain, hands down. Reese Witherspoon? Girl, please. Ryan Philippe? Feh. Three 6 Mafia? Fly-y-y-y y-y y-y.

hung9mike

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dr. Dilznick said:
I wonder how a beautifully shot, incredibly acted, well-written anti-gay film would be received by the Academy? Remember, it's the Hollywood powers-that-be that prop a film like this up for reasons other than artistic merit.
Hi Dr. Dilznick, you bring up a good question. I can't think of a movie that has that specific theme, and I doubt one could ever get produced for all sorts of reasons. Actors, directors, technicians, etc. might see such a project as the end of their careers. Motion picture studios might fear the backlash the film would undoubtably receive. And no one really knows if the public would actually buy tickets to see the movie in enough quantity to make the project viable, even if it turned out to be the most amazing piece of work ever shot on film. Although Hollywood will occasionally tackle a tough, uncomfortable subject, they will do so only if a larger positive social message carries the film. (Consider, for example, American History X.) That formula has been shown to work, and Hollywood does have an agenda: making money.

Back to your original question. Even if, hypothetically, a film with an anti-gay (or for that matter, an anti-Semitic or anti-African-American) theme could get produced, I don't believe that it would win many Academy Awards, and certainly not in any of the major categories, regardless of the quality of the film. The Oscars exist to advertise theatrical releases, and the last thing the Academy would do is risk alienating a segment of the movie-viewing audience. That's my take on this question, but I don't think we'll ever know the answer.

hung9mike

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
novice_btm said:
She was dead set against it, and fought it the whole time until filming really got underway, and delayed the start, and then added that she was a fake, and a total bitch.
So what you're saying is that Reese Witherspoon essentially earned that Best Actress award during her acceptance speech? :smile:

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Chuck64 said:
I disagree (please don't hurt me.) John Williams pumped out 3 scores in a year. They were all pretty formulaic - they all sounded like a John Williams score. I like his style, but he didn't create an original sound for any of them. I think it's sad that a great composer has turned in to a factory of sorts.
Actually, I think he did FOUR movie scores last year. I'm sure alex8 can verify that, though. :smile:

Also, there's already an "analysis" of the CRASH upset. I'm so behind in my movies from last year I can't clap or boo or scratch my head yet either way.

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/news/reuters/20060306/765.html

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
I didn't meant to suggest one outweighed the other.
Vs.
Stronzo said:
Yes, right now gays do 'have it worse'. There's no question.
Game over.

Matthew said:
And now, to help save Chuck's thread, where I stand on the issues: [...] Three 6 Mafia? Fly-y-y-y y-y y-y.
Wish there were more coonfoolery during their acceptance speech. They only got bleeped once or twice. And haha @ a web site called "TripleSix.com" thanking Jesus for anything.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
SurferGirlCA said:
Actually, I think he did FOUR movie scores last year. I'm sure alex8 can verify that, though. :smile:

Depends how you look at it: he composed original scores for four 2005 releases (Munich, Memoirs of a Geisha, War of the Worlds, Revenge of the Sith), but may have completed work on the latter during 2004. Nevertheless, he was certainly referred to as having penned "four scores in 2005" in various trade journals, and also in a lengthy analytical piece by Jon Burlingame in the NY Times.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorcerer said:
You're not going to be in your 20's forever, sweetheart. :biggrin1:

I never looked like I was in my 20's to begin with. Somewhere in my late teens, I got beat over the head with an ugly stick.