Oscar Winners - blow by blow

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Matthew said:
Stronzo, many people would say that a term like this is a gender-based insult which is patently offensive to women. Something could also be said about your post denigrating hip hop, an art form created and popularized by African American youth.

Matthew,

Let's be clear about one thing. I can be a 'bastard' as much as any girl can be a bitch. I'm an equal opportunity slanderer. Further, I'd appreciate it if you allowed me to react as "Stronzo" would (since it's me reacting) rather than Matthew or anyone else would. I find that first comment of Dilnick's not funny and it serves, in my honest opinion, to only polarize.

Additioanlly, my take on Rap and Hip Hop music is simply that. I suspect if I told some here that I listened exclusively to Elizabethan music and 1960s Brazilian Jazz they'd not necessarily agree with my taste. I don't let another's opinion of my taste define my taste.

But I'm actually writing this is to encourage you to cut Dilznick a little slack. I read his comment as just playing.
I'm glad you see it in a lighthearted fashion. Obviously you see it differently than I. It, and it's follow-up comment, convince me my take is accurate and (after all) my take is.. well.... my take.

As a gay man, it's easy for me to bristle at "insensitive" comments or jokes about me. And yet, I may turn right around and step on someone else's toes without intending or realizing it. If we're going to call foul on people, we need to first make sure our backyard is clean on the same counts.
I've checked my trash cans and looked for any evidence of litter. My 'backyard' is tidy. If you knew me better you'd know there's no stronger proponent for equal rights (arguably) to be found on this board.

Another option is to take things with humor whenever possible -- and then you can continue to dish with a clean conscience. :wink:
I couldn't. It wasn't humorous to me, nor was it to at least one other reader. And my conscience is clear.

Beyond all that Matthew I'm a bit sobered that you seem to think that Dr. Delznick's comment was appropriate. I've done a pretty exhaustive job of explaining why I thought it wasn't and backed it up with legtitmate reasons for my stand. All in all, I've made a decent case for my stance.

Richard

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
See below.

Stronzo said:
No. I make no indication one outweighs the other. Ours is simply more au courant, that's all.
Um, how about the "pre the 1960s" bit? The quoted part is clearly in the present tense: "gays have it worse."

Stronzo said:
It, and it's follow-up comment, convince me my take is accurate and (after all) my take is.. well.... my take.
Right, that follow-up comment being, "Er, I was being facetious." I'm not a homophobe. What other people do in private has no bearing on me. I make my own decisions and try not to dictate my notions of the "limits of personal choice" on other people.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
See below.

Um, how about the "pre the 1960s" bit? The quoted part is clearly in the present tense: "gays have it worse."

Right, that follow-up comment being, "Er, I was being facetious." I'm not a homophobe. What other people do in private has no bearing on me. I make my own decisions and try not to dictate my notions of the "limits of personal choice" on other people.

I do think, just now, 'gays have it worse' Dr. Dilznick... for all the aforementioned reasons. Yup I sure do.

I'm not going to recap my previous responses since you don't appear to want to reread my posts where I've outlined why I've taken such singular exception to what you've written.

But let's cut the drama on both our parts.

I'm very glad you're not a homophobe and may I respectfully suggest that should you wish to further pursue this converstation you private message me in an effort to put it to rest?

Thanks, Richard

Oh.. and for the record? My liking to suck cock isn't a "personal choice".

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dr. Dilznick said:
i.e. gays have it worse.
Stronzo said:
DD? This is what I don't get. I don't think we 'have it worse'.
Stronzo said:
I do think, just now, 'gays have it worse'
Okay.

Stronzo said:
Nah, but sucking cock is.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is the post where I kindly ask both of you to agree to disagree or take it to PM and hash it out.

Dilznick--I want to suggest that you consider thinking about your posts a tad bit more. I think that your humor and wit can sometimes not come off as such. When I read your first post, I was momentarily taken aback for a moment and then I tried to think really hard about a lot of your other posts (and not let any of OUR negative interactions back in the room). Once I did that I moved onto our discussion of the Oscars. Not everyone else can or is willing to do that. Not saying you should be a different poster. Just saying that I see both sides clearly (my gift and curse as born Libra). We seem to be on good ground now and I hope we can both work to keep it that way.

Stronzo--I was also taken momentarily aback by your comments on Three 6 Mafia in particaular and Hip Hop in general. Again, I tried to remember that not everyone enjoys or appreciates Hip Hop (hell, I don't listen to it the way I used to) and that we are, each of us, entitled to our opinions and tastes. Getting there, i was able to move on and continue our discussion.

You two don't have to agree (or agree to disagree). All I offer is that those of us in the minority (women, GLBT, people of color) have and should find a way to stand united on a platform of tolerance and acceptance (regardless of how we appear to fall short to one another). This whole division thing has been socialized and forced upon us by a majority that seeks to weaken our numbers.

Be kind to each other, even in disagreement. We're all we've got.

And even after all that, I can say that Jessica Alb and Ryan Phillipee made me horny.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Stronzo said:
I do think, just now, 'gays have it worse' ...

Try being a black, jewish, homosexual who is out about enjoying bestiality, scat play and water sports.

It's just how I was born.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lex said:
Stronzo--I was also taken momentarily aback by your comments on Three 6 Mafia in particaular and Hip Hop in general.
This is how square I am Lex. I don't know what 'Three 6 Mafia' is.. so I don't know how I could have commented on it. Is it a new term for Rap music?? Hell if I know.

You two don't have to agree (or agree to disagree). All I offer is that those of us in the minority (women, GLBT, people of color) have and should find a way to stand united on a platform of tolerance and acceptance (regardless of how we appear to fall short to one another). This whole division thing has been socialized and forced upon us by a majority that seeks to weaken our numbers.
Precisely and exactly why I got into all this stuff Lex. I won't buy into it and when I see I'm duty-bound to bring it up.

Be kind to each other, even in disagreement. We're all we've got.

In truth I don't believe I was ever unkind. If, here, you'd like us to simply let a difference of opinion pass then state it and I'll attempt to do my best. It's all I can promise. I've remained civil throughout and asked it be removed to private message (which promptly stopped the volley by the way...) Indeed that last "sucking cock is your choice" commentary (absurd as it is) should have been removed to pm, but it wasn't.

That said, thanks for being so understanding of my point of view. I found your input in that previous post truly valuable (the one in which you mentioned your wife's interest in the Brokeback Mountain posting forum).

Richard

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Alba's a tough one.. She is pretty hot (great pouty lips) and an amazing/ nicely toned body. Fantastic Four was hot for three reasons, and SHE was two of them.
Having said that, she does need to eat a bit. Problem is, the IN thing right now is skinny. Thanks Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan:cool:

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
hung9mike said:
.... In my view, the Academy simply chose the least controversial film in the category in an effort to cover its ass.

Good post. I saw Crash, and thought it was maybe a little innovative in technique--but just another pretty movie about random violence. It was a self-indulgent cartoon for rich people.

Brokeback focused on a kind of violence that is anything but random. But the violence was a kind of quiet subtext, unfolding against some of the most beautiful mythologies this country has: cowboys, unspoiled nature, and freedom. Lee's movie was not just about spectacular visual beauty, it was also about something like socially sanctioned self-blinding. His movie is about great panoramas, epic humanity, but it is also about the way that beliefs can twist you so you don't see real beauty because you prefer to see your own ideas instead of reality. Finally, you are so blind you can't see what is actually right in front of your very own eyes.

As movies go, that is a hell of a lot ballsier and more ambitious than Crash was. I thought it made Crash look like a cartoon, and I thought that is why Crash didn't win much of anything in the other competitions. Brokeback is the first film ever to win all those other awards and not get best picture at the Oscars.

BB is already famous as a non-american view of one of the all-time great american love stories. It finds decency in a place where it shouldn't even exist, and sets real humanity against a mythological backdrop, and shows how it can survive in the face of a perverse, anti-human subtext. Perfect american idea. But the film goes beyond that, visually, and actually shows you what beauty looks like, all the way through. It also makes you remember what love feels like, and the simple life, in spite of yourself.

I thought Crash just shows you exactly what you expect to see, with high production values. That takes money, but it doesn't take balls. It's was like a proof that something you already know to be empty is in fact empty. Like a news report on people slowing down on the freeway to see a gorey accident, or a discovery that people enjoy feeding off other people's disasters in the tabloids.

It's not surprising that people like predictable movies, but you would think that people at some point would get tired of violence as the national religion of the USA. The difference about Brokeback was not the gay thing. I think it was the fact that it revealed something real and human in a place people expect to find nothing real at all, and certainly nothing human. Definitely not something american.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Dilznick--I never thought of that. Marked down for future reference.

Stronzo--I hear you load and clear. "Kind" was meant as a overal generalization, not an indicitment.

Also--Google: "I'm glad Crash won" and see that you get!!

(ok, I'll tell you) You get:

Did you mean: "I'm glad TRASH won"