Oscars

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by hotbtminla, Feb 25, 2008.

1. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Okay, so akin to my Grammy thread, I was on the red carpet at the Kodak and at Elton John's Oscar Party. So if anybody has any behind the scenes questions, feel free to throw 'em at me.

I'm exhausted right now (my feet and lower back want to kill me) and am polishing off a bottle before going to bed. But will address any questions on the thread. The people I worked with most closely today were Marion Cotillard, everybody associated with Juno and Michael Clayton, Amy Adams, and Elton and his guests, but can speak to most of the big movie event in general, so have at it.

Note in advance to PrinceWill: I met Mr. McAvoy all to briefly. Commence drool. :tongue:

2. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Can you get me a date with Ellen Page?

3. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    Was it as boring as it appeared to be. I've attended a few Oscar's and grammy's and Golden Globe. YUCK I hate those things..

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I thought Jon Stewart did a better job this year than he did the first time he hosted, especially considering the short amount of time they had to prepare.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

I liked Jon stewart, didn't love him; but I realize thats because the writers strike really f'd things up. There really was no time to prepare properly. :frown1:

IMO, on the whole the show sucked. It was boring, drab, etc. Other than Helen Mirren, Heidi Klum, Katherine Heigl; and one or 2 others no women wowed me with their gown choices. What's with half the winners inability to complete an acceptance speech in English? :confused:

What was in the goody bags this year? Anything good?

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I thought he really killed with his opening bit, big laughs at my house as well as around the Kodak theater. Not just polite laughter but actual full-bellied guffaws. The rest of the evening he did a fine job, though it felt like we didn't see much of him. That's fine, though.. these things always run too long anyway.

7. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I don't watch them anymore. Years ago I'd never miss any awards show however actresses/actors expressing political views/statements and junk-yard fashions (not all!), turn me off.
    Same for Grammy's.

8. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Well said. I never watch the oscars.

9. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I usually miss the Oscars, but wanted to catch the Supporting Actor (duh), to see my boy nail it. Then figured I'd see in the AM who won... and watch/do something else the rest of the evening.

Good to see No Country win best picture, directing, and screenplay as well.

10. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    *squeals like a 12 year old girl*!!! :eek:

omg, how did it go? and unlike other people here, i watched the whole telecast (watching the Oscars and doing homework are a wonderful combination)

did any of the upsets (MC for Best Actress, TS for Best Supporting Actress) in the big categories have a big impact? i know even Tilda Swinton had an "oh shit? i won?" look on her face.

plus, were there a bunch of problems backstage or for you considering the limited amount of time they had to construct and organize the ceremony?

who looked great in person? i know Amy Adams looked great, and Nicole Kidman was simple but i was too glad to see her there (even though she should stay her ass home in her condition)

ok, i'll stop there before i embarass myself. :p

11. littledickboy111

Albums:
    Does anybody else think Stephen Colbert should be the host next year? He's clearly better than Stewart in everyway.

12. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought the show was good considering...I'm one of those guys who doesn't need alot to find something funny, so I guess I'm not the best critic.

13. faceking

Albums:
    I can't tell you where Nicole Kidman ends, or where Katherine Heigl begins...

I think the women are ALL starting to look the same... hair tied up like it's a wedding/prom... the plain, elegant, zzzzzzzzzzz dress. They all need to have this classic, clean look. They either make ZERO statement, or an awful statement.

I don't watch the Grammy's but a few stunners always seem to come out of the red carpet there every year.

14. gjorg

Gold Member

Don't know his name but did the director for NO COUNTRY thank his boyfriend?

15. faceking

Albums:
    Any surprisingly... the documentary went (once again) to either a piece on the Holocaust or anti-US government.

Shocker.

16. littledickboy111

Albums:
    Yeah I wish we'd just forget about the Holocaust and instead do a documentary on how wonderful George W. Bush is. We could have him prancing in a field full of flowers and giving a sponge bath to Dick Cheney.

17. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I didnt watch it live last night, I got up this morning and watched all the 'best bits' on Sky News, which was just enough. I also watched some of E!'s red carpet show, but don't tell anyone.

IMO the best dressed of the night - Jennifer Garner.

18. D_Portelay Porquesword

Did Elton's new weave look as fierce in person as it did on the tele?

19. faceking

Albums:
    Wow... such anger.

20. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Did you see both Hoops Dreams and the Holocaust piece in question?

Have you ever been to film school? Have you ever directed or produced a film? (not including ones of yourself spooging all over reflective surfaces)

Are you a member of the Academy?

Just wondering. I don't actually know what you do for a living or what kinds of films you watch, FK. But seems to me that assuming that a documentary is shit because Bill O'Reilly says it was un-American is every bit as bad as giving away awards for filmmaking because the films you are giving them to agree with your personal politics.

For instance, last year's winner I believe was Fog of War, which was an excellent documentary, and though some very narrow-minded obtuse folk would probably argue it was un-American without ever seeing it, it really was not. It was just honest.

On the other hand, Fahrenheit 911 was biased propagandistic crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted