Other Important Ballot Initiatives:

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Flashy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

Colorado Amendment 46:
    End Affirmative Action

This measure would prohibit the state government from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment to any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin in public employment, public education, or public contracting. Full results »

No
    50%

Yes
    50%

----

Yes
    57%

No
    43%

----

Michigan Proposition 1:
    Allow Medical Marijuana

Full results »

Yes
    63%

No
    37%

----

Nebraska Initiative 424:
    End Affirmative Action

Full results »

Yes
    58%

No
    42%

----

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Colorado and Nebraska voted to end Affirmative Action...gee what a surprise. NOT! :irked: :mad:

3. Flashy

Gold Member

the colorado one does not look like it passed...if you look closely at the numbers, the "no" appears to be 14,000 votes higher than the "yes" (Yes comes second on the list)

i do not know what the recount procedures would be since the votes are so close but it seemed like it barely was defeated in colorado from the numbers.

but apparently, the counting is not done yet according to this article

Colo. battle over affirmative action still close - Examiner.com

4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

How is that the individual States are allowed to override what you might have thought were rights enshrined in the National Constitution?

5. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Also, Washington approved assisted suicide.

6. Flashy

Gold Member

because affirmative action is not a right, it is a policy. Affirmative Action, technically speaking, violates true rights, its opponents argues.

with regard to "Civil Rights", for example the main crux of anti-discrimination laws state that : no american can be discriminated against based on gender, religion, sexual orientation, race, etc;

that is everyone's right as an american....it is considered a "Civil Right" guaranteed to every american by the constitution (along with the right of free speech, freedom of association, right to bear arms etc.)

No american may be deprived of any of those rights, or you have illegally violated that person's "civil rights"

afirmative action, however, is a policy conceived to address "fairness" for some minorites, by sadly, and ironically, offereing them preference in certain situations at the expense of someone who is not a minority.

so ironically, "affirmative Action" meant to curb discrimination against others, does in factr discriminate against those who do not receive preferential treatment.

Affirmative Action as policy, is a massive controversy, that is most evident between minorites and whites in terms of job applications and acceptance to universities etc...

the policy efectively states that a minority with a lower score or less impressive resume, must in some cases receive preference over the non-minority candidate even if that candidate has a better resume, record, or score...

it manifests itself in racial quotas in hiring, schools etc....

it is an extremely contentious issue in this country.

I have given only a very small snapshot of it, and obviously, i am sure others will have more to say on it.

I do not support affirmative action, though i did for a short time, but i believe it should come to an end with regards to educational testing and entrance to colleges, though i believe ant-discriminatory laws must be on the books to help minorities with regards to workplace hiring etc.

7. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Good job, Washington voters. I find it a little bittersweet having just come back from Seattle two weeks ago, where my dear friend died of ovarian cancer after two weeks of starvation, dehydration, and vomiting bile out of her nose. The idea that obtaining the drugs necessary to peacefully end one's life requres the approval of government, or the voters, is barbaric, but perhaps Oregon and now Washington have started a trend toward common decency.

Draft saved Draft deleted