Ouch, I have shingles

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Got a rash a few days ago and just thought it was an insect bite or at most some eczema but it got worse and a slight aching and fever kicked in so I went to the Doc today, and she was all "Oh you have shingles Mr." and proceeded to commiserate with me for the rest of the appointment. I was relieved it was treatable but the way she was soooooo sorry for me has me freaked out. And she mentioned it will become pretty painful. :frown1:

So I've started the anti-virals and am using the cream she gave me.

I have a pretty high pain-threshold but what should I expect in terms of pain? Is it really that bad? :confused:

MrToolhung

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Omg that is awful! I have not had shingles myself(knock on wood) but I have heard from people is is extremely painful. Most of them took a week off or so from work because the pain was that intense at times. Hope you feel better soon!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Ohhh... not good as far as I know. My father-in-law has had it for years. But the stubborn old coot won't do as he is told so it doesn't go away. Follow your doc's advice and take your meds. (bet it's not the first time you've heard that Hilly! :)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Ohhh... not good as far as I know. My father-in-law has had it for years. But the stubborn old coot won't do as he is told so it doesn't go away. Follow your doc's advice and take your meds. (bet it's not the first time you've heard that Hilly! :)

Just been doing some reading, it turns out that one of the drugs they use to treat the nerve pain (Posterpetic Neuralgia, apparently) is one of the anti-convulsants I take for my epilepsy :eek: Gabapentin.

OMG you have my deepest sympathy, I have never had it (I've never had chicken pox) but I know a few people who have. Please, please follow your doctors advice. Here is a link that may help. E Ola! (Get well soon) Shingles information, risk factors, symptoms, and complications.

Thanks Nudey, that looks like really good info. :redface:

TopDudeFtl

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I also have a high pain tolerance but the pain I felt when my shingles flared up was excruciating. My doctor ended up prescribing pain meds in addition to the anti-virals. One thing is for sure; once you have them, you'll always have them. :mad: There's no cure, just treatment or what I like to call; tolerance.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I also have a high pain tolerance but the pain I felt when my shingles flared up was excruciating. My doctor ended up prescribing pain meds in addition to the anti-virals. One thing is for sure; once you have them, you'll always have them. :mad: There's no cure, just treatment or what I like to call; tolerance.

Ah shit! Seriously, it's absolutely the last thing I needed right now. Kind of angry at my body attempting to sabotage my life again right now. :mad:

Last edited:

Redwyvre

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm sorry to hear you have shingles. I've been told it is the chicken pox virus making a reappearance. I had chicken pox when I was 16 which is considered late in life to have it. The little kid who gave it to me had one pox and was sick for a day or two. I was covered with pox and was out of school for a week and a half. Had to be medicated so I wouldn't itch my face off. Wouldn't never wish this for anyone. Take care of yourself! and I hope it goes back into remission very very soon

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Omg....like most who've posted, I've never had shingles, know people who have. Two close friends in the past year have had them and they said it was the worst pain ever - both have given birth! Take your meds!

On a side note, I took gabapentin this last year too. Didn't help my nerve pain tho.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Omg....like most who've posted, I've never had shingles, know people who have. Two close friends in the past year have had them and they said it was the worst pain ever - both have given birth! Take your meds!

On a side note, I took gabapentin this last year too. Didn't help my nerve pain tho.

Holy shit, worse than childbirth? WTF :frown1:

Yeah I think Pregabalin is supposed to be better than Gabapentin for nerve pain anyway, also for nervous anxiety apparently LOL :tongue:

offside

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
As far as the medical profession is concerned shingles is right up there on the pain scale mainly cause it's very hard to treat with analgesia (painkillers). I'm afraid you are in for a rough ride - but you may be lucky and have a short episode that won't spread. Hope it turns out OK

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Ah shit! Seriously, it's absolutely the last thing I needed right now. Kind of angry at my body attempting to sabotage my life again right now. :mad:
Perhaps you already know, but I don't want you worrying that it's something you're stuck with forever. Like the common cold, the condition isn't 'curable' - but you can get get rid of them. Yes, you'll always have the potential for the shingles to return, but with proper treatment you can get rid of them. My uncle had shingles and it cleared-up (with cream etc.) after a week or two. Perhaps he had a minor case, but he didn't complain of too much pain and the condition hasn't returned. So, there is hope, lovely Mr Hilaire. Get well soon. :smile:

leapyear

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, I've been there too. Had them on the most typical location - the 'girdle' and it made it near impossible to wear a shirt and it even hurt to have a thin cotton bed sheet make direct skin contact. Take your meds and avoid the following foods that aggravate the condition: caffeine, cashew nuts, chocolate and soy products. Mine lasted about ten days.

I had the further embarrassment of having to tell two pregnant women in our office that they had to go see their GP as apparently it's dangerous to expose pregnant women to the condition...good news is that I've never had a recurrence.

Good luck Mate and get well soon!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Holy shit, worse than childbirth? WTF :frown1:

Yeah I think Pregabalin is supposed to be better than Gabapentin for nerve pain anyway, also for nervous anxiety apparently LOL :tongue:

I'm not sure I trust the childbirth analogy anyway. Childbirth is for a finite time and has (hopefully) a pleasurable outcome. Shingles just go on and on, and you come out with nothing but a place to play connect-the-dots :biggrin1:.

And I have no nervous anxiety! Steady as a rock, I am. :tongue:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
As far as the medical profession is concerned shingles is right up there on the pain scale mainly cause it's very hard to treat with analgesia (painkillers). I'm afraid you are in for a rough ride - but you may be lucky and have a short episode that won't spread. Hope it turns out OK

I'm hoping that too, the lesion is small right now, and I think this is still the very early stages so I'm hoping the meds will kick in and stop this from getting too out of hand. *desperately trying to think positively*

i just learned about treating shingles, good luck!

Perhaps you already know, but I don't want you worrying that it's something you're stuck with forever. Like the common cold, the condition isn't 'curable' - but you can get get rid of them. Yes, you'll always have the potential for the shingles to return, but with proper treatment you can get rid of them. My uncle had shingles and it cleared-up (with cream etc.) after a week or two. Perhaps he had a minor case, but he didn't complain of too much pain and the condition hasn't returned. So, there is hope, lovely Mr Hilaire. Get well soon. :smile:

You are such a sweetie! Thanks for the positivity :smile:

Oh, I've been there too. Had them on the most typical location - the 'girdle' and it made it near impossible to wear a shirt and it even hurt to have a thin cotton bed sheet make direct skin contact. Take your meds and avoid the following foods that aggravate the condition: caffeine, cashew nuts, chocolate and soy products. Mine lasted about ten days.

I had the further embarrassment of having to tell two pregnant women in our office that they had to go see their GP as apparently it's dangerous to expose pregnant women to the condition...good news is that I've never had a recurrence.

Good luck Mate and get well soon!

Good to know, no one I know is preggers right now (so far as I know anyway) but I'll keep away from any pregnant women I may encounter.

Thanks for the good wishes :wink:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I'm not sure I trust the childbirth analogy anyway. Childbirth is for a finite time and has (hopefully) a pleasurable outcome. Shingles just go on and on, and you come out with nothing but a place to play connect-the-dots :biggrin1:.

And I have no nervous anxiety! Steady as a rock, I am. :tongue:

Not scars too!??!!?? :eek::frown1:

D_Rosalind Mussell

Sexy Member
Media
My mom had shingles about 5 years ago. She got a couple of spots and once one of them became painful I practically towed her to the doctor. The doctor said that the earlier you start treatment the shorter the duration of the shingles. She had it for about 6 weeks before it cleared up with anti-virals and gabapentin. She hasn't had a flare up since and is just fine. Like everyone said, take your meds and follow the doctors instructions. Good luck, Hilly! :hug:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
:kiss: Ah thanks

My mom had shingles about 5 years ago. She got a couple of spots and once one of them became painful I practically towed her to the doctor. The doctor said that the earlier you start treatment the shorter the duration of the shingles. She had it for about 6 weeks before it cleared up with anti-virals and gabapentin. She hasn't had a flare up since and is just fine. Like everyone said, take your meds and follow the doctors instructions. Good luck, Hilly! :hug: