Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Some doctors prescribe vitamin B, sometimes by injection (in the bum!) If you are not being prescribed B I see no reason why you shouldn't take it anyway in normal dosage.

There are certainly people who have a very rough ride with shingles. There are also people who have a less bad time - hope you are in this category. Some of the comments on the thread seem to refer to worst case shingles. It depends where you have the rash (face is bad) and how much rash you have, and also remember the meds will do something. Shingles has an odour which makes it a bit of an anti-social ailment. Basically accept you have a few weeks not working and hide at home.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Just don't scratch!!!!!!

Aha! That's where my Sith Lord mind skills will come in handy, there's no way in hell I'm scratching this! :biggrin1:

Some doctors prescribe vitamin B, sometimes by injection (in the bum!) If you are not being prescribed B I see no reason why you shouldn't take it anyway in normal dosage.

There are certainly people who have a very rough ride with shingles. There are also people who have a less bad time - hope you are in this category. Some of the comments on the thread seem to refer to worst case shingles. It depends where you have the rash (face is bad) and how much rash you have, and also remember the meds will do something. Shingles has an odour which makes it a bit of an anti-social ailment. Basically accept you have a few weeks not working and hide at home.

Yay! I take vitamin B anyway (despite being convinced that they don't do anything LOL) so I have plenty in store, I'll be sure to keep taking them. Thanks for the advice. :smile:

webMD says, ready - practicing tai chi as a good preventative. Who knew?

Tai Chi: Gentle Exercise Prevents Painful Shingles - Watch WebMD Video

Hmmm, sounds good actually, I'll need a way to keep active. Thanks for the link.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just a word of caution, if you have any very young nieces,nephews,etc, or any adult friends who have not had the chickenpox yet, you should avoid them as they could contract chickenpox from you. One never gets over the chickenpox, it just goes dormant and migrates into your nerve roots. If it re-appears it is then called the shingles.They usually appear in a linear fashion on your trunk, but can appear anywhere. While they are active your are contagious. You may very well have some severe pain while your shingles are active. If you do you'll need strong narcotic pain relievers. Luckily, Most bouts of shingles are relatively short in duration.

ISIZE RN

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh Hilly!:frown:

One of my best friend's mom has shingles. She gets a flare up whenever she gets too stressed (and last year has been way stressful). Take the drugs, use the cream, don't scratch. I know she also uses a soap that seems to relieve some of the worst symptoms. They can range for annoying to debilitating for her:frown:

Please do what you doc recommends and get better soon.

:hug:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Just a word of caution, if you have any very young nieces,nephews,etc, or any adult friends who have not had the chickenpox yet, you should avoid them as they could contract chickenpox from you. One never gets over the chickenpox, it just goes dormant and migrates into your nerve roots. If it re-appears it is then called the shingles.They usually appear in a linear fashion on your trunk, but can appear anywhere. While they are active your are contagious. You may very well have some severe pain while your shingles are active. If you do you'll need strong narcotic pain relievers. Luckily, Most bouts of shingles are relatively short in duration.

ISIZE RN

Oh, Hilly. So sorry. I've never had them but friends have and they can be awful. Hopefully yours will be symptom -free and short-lived.

Oh Hilly!:frown:

One of my best friend's mom has shingles. She gets a flare up whenever she gets too stressed (and last year has been way stressful). Take the drugs, use the cream, don't scratch. I know she also uses a soap that seems to relieve some of the worst symptoms. They can range for annoying to debilitating for her:frown:

Please do what you doc recommends and get better soon.

:hug:

Thanks for the advice and support boys, you're all on the guest list for my "YAY! I DON'T HAVE SHINGLES ANYMORE!" party on Stromboli, don't pack clothes! :wink::biggrin1:

mattsrod7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
oh and if you get shingles on your head or face, go to emergency room asap so they can start IV meds.

if its close to your eyes, it can go to your eyes and you can go blind. if its near, it can share the same nerve, and once the virus goes back into the nerve and comes out another terminal is where it can affect you

Last edited:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Thanks for the advice and support boys, you're all on the guest list for my "YAY! I DON'T HAVE SHINGLES ANYMORE!" party on Stromboli, don't pack clothes! :wink::biggrin1:

I adore Stromboli. My plane leaves at nine-thirty, EST. See you soon.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
oh and if you get shingles on your head or face, go to emergency room asap so they can start IV meds.

if its close to your eyes, it can go to your eyes and you can go blind. if its near, it can share the same nerve, and once the virus goes back into the nerve and comes out another terminal is where it can affect you

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely heed it. :smile:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'll book a ticket too. Just in case your 1% needs tending to.....:naughty:

Oh, I crack myself up! You are so determinedly playing for the other team. Still I'll book a ticket anyway. I'll hold the towels, provide refreshments and massage sore muscles when someone taps out. :biggrin1:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sounds fun, can I play too??? :tongue:

Yes, Dr. Pussy - I may need help with the boys. Bring your camera crew too. Might make a good ep for your talk show, hehehehe.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I'll book a ticket too. Just in case your 1% needs tending to.....:naughty:

Oh, I crack myself up! You are so determinedly playing for the other team. Still I'll book a ticket anyway. I'll hold the towels, provide refreshments and massage sore muscles when someone taps out. :biggrin1:

Sounds fun, can I play too??? :tongue:

Aha Ladies, you are more than welcome, in fact it wouldn't be a party without ya :wink:

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ah shit! Seriously, it's absolutely the last thing I needed right now. Kind of angry at my body attempting to sabotage my life again right now. :mad:

Not scars too!??!!?? :eek::frown1:

I feel your pain, Hilly. I posted this thread in November of '09: ugh!

I've had them a total of four times since 1996, and have a whole series of *lovely* scars (forehead, arm, eyelid and leg) to prove it.

And any gay sex party involving Indy, Nicky8 and Nico with LaFemme and BBW36 as towel-holders to which I'm not invited is a crime against humanity: a crime, I tell you!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I feel your pain, Hilly. I posted this thread in November of '09: ugh!

I've had them a total of four times since 1996, and have a whole series of *lovely* scars (forehead, arm, eyelid and leg) to prove it.

And any gay sex party involving Indy, Nicky8 and Nico with LaFemme and BBW36 as towel-holders to which I'm not invited is a crime against humanity: a crime, I tell you!

As my Co-Emperor of the Freaks you are one of the hosts! :wink:

Fuck, I really am dreading this now though. :frown1:

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As my Co-Emperor of the Freaks you are one of the hosts! :wink:

Fuck, I really am dreading this now though. :frown1:
I can't speak from experience, but I would think the scarring is only caused by scratching the itch. As with chicken pox, you would think it's possible to get through it without scarring, except in severe cases. This might be of interest.