Our friends the Carlyle Group in Dubai

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So, am I the only one underwhelmed to discover, on the heels of Haliburton relocating it's base to Dubai that the Carlyle group is in talks with the Dubai Aerospace Enterprise for the manufacture of our F14s?
Why am I hearing more news about a dead stripper and a coroner with a lumpy head than things about our national security?

Hmm, I wonder exactly what IS the connection between Haliburton and Carlyle? Wait a minute, not I don't.:rolleyes:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Dubai Aerospace Enterprise (DAE) is nearing a deal to buy a series of aviation businesses from U.S. private equity firm Carlyle Group <CYL.UL> for more than $1.5 billion, a source familiar with the matter said on Monday.

As part of the agreement, DAE would buy Landmark Aviation, an aircraft maintenance provider, and Standard Aero, which provides repair and overhaul services at airport terminals for small-jet aviation and some military transports, according to the source.

Carlyle declined to comment on the deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/19/AR2007031902124.html

SilverSoldier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The only thing that I know of that would trump hooker headlines would be poor Anna Nicole baby was actually fathered by someone in Dubai. And, it probably wouldn't be so far fetched.

Perhaps Brittney Spears, Paris Hilton, and a few others should take up a cause to instigate headlines because of their intelligent support of something good. Not likely, of course.

[sigh...]

It would appear that we are all sleeping with the enemy in one way or another. The planet is pretty convoluted over alliances, which are mostly pretense. And it's quite amazing what a buck can buy. Ask Haliburton, Dubai, Hilton, Smith or Spears.

Amazing....

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Madame Zora,

AAUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!! Why do you keep posting these things that make me want to pull my hair out and run into the streets screaming like a banshee? :confused: :eek: :confused:

That drunken cheerleader and his cronies have done what I fear will be irreparable damage to our nation. Mark my words Halliburton and the Carlyle Group are just the tip of this evil iceburg.

No Child Left Behind is a great sound bite; but the worst thing to happen to education in America since they got rid of State Teachers Colleges.

Great...now instead of being horny, I am full of righteous indignation.
An equally useless endeavor at this point.

njqt466

So, am I the only one underwhelmed to discover, on the heels of Haliburton relocating it's base to Dubai that the Carlyle group is in talks with the Dubai Aerospace Enterprise for the manufacture of our F14s?
Why am I hearing more news about a dead stripper and a coroner with a lumpy head than things about our national security?

Hmm, I wonder exactly what IS the connection between Haliburton and Carlyle? Wait a minute, not I don't.:rolleyes:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Dubai Aerospace Enterprise (DAE) is nearing a deal to buy a series of aviation businesses from U.S. private equity firm Carlyle Group <CYL.UL> for more than $1.5 billion, a source familiar with the matter said on Monday.

As part of the agreement, DAE would buy Landmark Aviation, an aircraft maintenance provider, and Standard Aero, which provides repair and overhaul services at airport terminals for small-jet aviation and some military transports, according to the source.

Carlyle declined to comment on the deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/19/AR2007031902124.html

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well....im torn.

It's either read about it on this board, or have to hunt for it on Non-US sites, since everything here is all covered up and censored.
(You didn't actually think that FOX reported "News" did you?)

I have to honestly say, at least we are all outraged at the same things, rather than all over the map.

It is frustrating, but there's nothing we can do about it.
They have the general public over a barrel, they know it, and it's not ever going to change.

C

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had to search long and hard to even find it in the Washington Post.

I know we're screwed, but occasionally people ask me why I hate this adminsitration so much, and rather than just "blabbing" about the usual issues, like killing our youth in a war that's got nothing to do with us, I thought I might bring up something new, like how the bush legacy lives on.:rolleyes:

Treasonous fucktards. bush really is no better than Hussein.

And who even remembers Bin Laden?

Fuck.

edit-make sure you don't miss the end-

Schumer said, however, that if a review of the deal was done by the committee on foreign investment, Cfius, "and necessary safeguards are taken, the deal is unlikely to have problems in Congress."

DAE and Carlyle are expected to undergo a full review by Cfius, which is controlled by the Bush administration.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, What the fuck ISN'T controled by the bush administration? Are you fucking kidding me?

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And what I personally love is the notion that we still find the moral highground and the soapbox to preach to the developing world about corruption. This guy is so proud that his "President's Malaria Initiative" and his "Millennium Challenge Account" tie up enhanced foreign assistance with "good governance" provisions. It makes many African leaders, struggling under massive debt, disease of biblical proportions and economic catastrophe, stratch their heads at the hypocricy.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And what I personally love is the notion that we still find the moral highground and the soapbox to preach to the developing world about corruption. This guy is so proud that his "President's Malaria Initiative" and his "Millennium Challenge Account" tie up enhanced foreign assistance with "good governance" provisions. It makes many African leaders, struggling under massive debt, disease of biblical proportions and economic catastrophe, stratch their heads at the hypocricy.

And sadly, too few Americans, who are now so overwhelmed with debt and increasing workloads that they don't have time to sift through the monumental levels of bullshit to even recognise what is happening.

fluoro

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And sadly, too few Americans, who are now so overwhelmed with debt and increasing workloads that they don't have time to sift through the monumental levels of bullshit to even recognise what is happening.

I'm still amazed/disheartened at how many people I talk to that have never heard of the Carlyle Group or PNAC (Project for the New American Century). Even some who are very outspoken about front page politics aren't aware of these groups and the power they wield. Some of the PNAC documents I've read present a clearer rationale of why we may be in Iraq than anything I've heard from the administration, albeit more disturbing.

I see the PNAC site is still up, but very little activity since 2005.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, I feel like I'm shouting into a black hole most of the time myself.

Here's one I was lucky enough to find:

The Best Enemies Money Can Buy

bush's grandfather, Prescott bush sold arms to Hitler, as well as provided financing. Wonder why some of the tactics seem familiar? It really wasn't all that long ago. I know how passe it is to invoke Godwin's law, but what purpose does it serve to ignore realistic facts?

Hitler bragged about taking a lesson from the US in how we rounded up the Native Americans, and now our fearless leader returns the compliment.
We know not who we serve. "Man of God?" Not much could be further from the truth, but only these seventy years later, we've completely forgotten the past.

edit- when I downloaded the file from the PNAC site, only the first 3 of 90 pages had anything on them. Were they deleted, or is it just my computer?

edit2- I just tried to copy and paste the story, but it wouldn't show up. Please click the link, it's an important read.

Full_Phil

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As things in general deteriorate, the "haves" will hunker down and circle the wagons of Industry, or what's left of it, through acquistion, merger, interlocking boards, trade groups, etc---. The common people will seek refuge in faith or distractions. Perhaps Anna Nicole, and not religion, is the opiate of the masses. Too many people will have too little and there will be carnage and chaos. This cycle is too common in history, and we know, and the "haves" know, where we are in it. bush is not the problem, only a symptom, and whomever comes next will get the same treatment Clinton did. One thing I disagree with---the rest of the world is not as puritanical as the US, so did not look down on Clinton's lying under oath about another consenting adult. They DID look down on the President's unwillingness to forge the same kind of consensus that his father achieved. You are only seen as a leading country if you have a group to lead, and we don't have one.

Rant, rant, rant---

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
WOW! Carlyle should stay in the US and sell tinfoil hats! I know where they could make a fortune.

You people are some serious ignorami.

fluoro

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WOW! Carlyle should stay in the US and sell tinfoil hats! I know where they could make a fortune.

Should we assume that you agree with the ideas of PNAC and admire the tactics of the Carlyle Group? I don't see how your name calling and sarcasm furthers the discussion. It certainly isn't a way to sway others to your point of view. I'm certain you're aware of this though, so I can only assume your objective is to irritate - my only question is why?

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

So why are you still here then?

I've stayed out of your line of fire for several weeks now but i'm getting fed up with you.

The title of this group is Large Penis Support Group. In the 262 posts that you have made, less than 20 of those have been in the core topic of this forum. This is the Large Penis Support Group. What support or helpful information have you posted on that topic? Nothing that I can see... Madame Zora, DC-Deep, and everyone else here has posted in topics outside of Et Cetera, Et Cetera.

So once again, why are you here at the Large Penis Support Group and why do you persist in hanging around with the "ignorami?"

I call troll.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Should we assume that you agree with the ideas of PNAC and admire the tactics of the Carlyle Group? I don't see how your name calling and sarcasm furthers the discussion. It certainly isn't a way to sway others to your point of view. I'm certain you're aware of this though, so I can only assume your objective is to irritate - my only question is why?

Yes, I admire many of the ideas of the PNAC . Especially the ones about bringing the Middle East out of repression establishing thriving Democracies, enabling the people to live in freedom and prosper much as they do here in this Country. I'm not sure how practical it is, but it's a notion I admire.

As far as a I know, the Carlyle Group is a private corporation ,in business to make money, not serve the Government.

But I discovered long ago explaining capitalism and economics to a liberal is akin to talking to a stump { HI ZORA!!!!!!} . And the posts to this thread prior to mine confirm that.
there is not the slightest indication that any of those people have the feintest clue what the role of a corporation in America is!

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, I admire many of the ideas of the PNAC . Especially the ones about bringing the Middle East out of repression establishing thriving Democracies, enabling the people to live in freedom and prosper much as they do here in this Country. I'm not sure how practical it is, but it's a notion I admire.

As far as a I know, the Carlyle Group is a private corporation ,in business to make money, not serve the Government.

But I discovered long ago explaining capitalism and economics to a liberal is akin to talking to a stump { HI ZORA!!!!!!} . And the posts to this thread prior to mine confirm that.
there is not the slightest indication that any of those people have the feintest clue what the role of a corporation in America is!

If you will actually read my responses to you and reply to them, I will answer this.

Yes, I DO understand this, and I understand the difference between the reponsibility of a corporation and a government. A corporation's resonsibility is to make profits first. They supply jobs, products and/or services to benefit the needs or wants of people who will spend money.
The government is responsible to make laws and stuctures within which corporations must operate, to ensure that the rights of its citizens are protected. These don't have to be opposing forces, but their goals are, or should be, different.

When we have corporations who bypass laws designed to protect the interests of the public, being rubber-stamped by the government because of personal interest in profits by individual lawmakers who are also among the highest paid priofessions in our country, we have a system that has broken down. Who represents the "average" American now? Nobody.

This is not a partisan view. What becomes partisan is who we trust most to correct the imabalance.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Ok, fair enough. You surprised me with that .
For whatever reason the words 'carlyle group' and ' Exxon -Mobil profits" cause knee-jerk spasms among the left that cause them to spout the most illogical nonsense.

But I don't see any evidence that this corporation has bypassed any laws.

Even Chuckie Schumer wasn't phases by it.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

And just what is that role? Please... explain it to my liberal mind...

So it's okay for the one of the nations largest defense contractors to pick up and move their shit to fucking Dubai where they will pay WAY LESS AMERICAN TAXES AND CAN'T BE INVOLVED IN POSSIBLE FUTURE LITIGATION? That is pure fucking bullshit...

This is all just to avoid prosecution under the Iran-Lybia Sanctions Act of 1996 signed into law by president Clinton. Haliburton, Conoco-Phillips and G.E. have all been doing tens of millions of dollars of business with Iran, Lybia, and Syria. In November 2004, Forbes ("Trading with the Enemy") provided a glimpse into the dark world of dirty deals and re-exports in Dubai and the UAE by unaccountable foreign subsidiaries of American firms such as Halliburton:
No matter how hard the U.S. tries to keep dual-use commodities like gas monitors, software and nuclear triggers out of transshipment hubs like Dubai, stuff gets through. The lure is quick profits. Traders easily pocket 40% markups just by flipping goods, illicit and otherwise.

The open secret is that Dubai buys far more than it keeps. More than a quarter of its $23 billion in annual nonoil imports are reexported, and Iran gets the biggest share. Interviews with private businesspeople and U.S. officials, along with court documents, reveal a simple scheme. Companies located around the world sell goods--from cigarettes to medical devices and PCs--to buyers in the U.A.E. Dubai traders repackage the items and send them along by air or ship to agents in, say, Tehran, Pyongyang, Damascus or Islamabad.
Halliburton is the company that Vice President Dick Cheneyused to run. He was CEO from 1995 to 2000, during which time Halliburton Products and Services set up shop in Iran. Today, it sells about $40 million a year worth of oil field services to the Iranian government.
There have been investigations and involvement with the SEC in this matter, all have been thwarted and postponed by Halliburton'e lawyers. A shareholder's resolution calling on Halliburton to review and justify their operations in Iran, which was brought before the SEC, resulted in the SEC ruling against the company. The request was going to be put in front of the shareholders THIS VERY APRIL!

This is because States like New York own tons of stock in Halliburton, Conoco-Phillips and G.E. through their pension systems... in fact most of the state run pension systems in America own stock in these companies. The SEC investigation was brought about by the members of the New York City Police and Fire Departments who were pissed off when they learned where their money was going. New York City's Comptroller William Thompson is taking the lead in this investigation... but something tells me that the investigation into Halliburton's involvement will be hampered by the move to Dubai.

B_JQblonde

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
And just what is that role? Please... explain it to my liberal mind...

So it's okay for the one of the nations largest defense contractors to pick up and move their shit to fucking Dubai where they will pay WAY LESS AMERICAN TAXES AND CAN'T BE INVOLVED IN POSSIBLE FUTURE LITIGATION? That is pure fucking bullshit...

YEah. it's ok.
The CEO of Cralyle's job is to figure out how to maximize return to stockholders, not maximize US tax receipts.

Pop quiz:

If you were the CEO and your CFO informed you of a way you could legally escape paying taxes , you would say:

A > HOW DARE YOU SIR, SUGGEST SUCH A THING!!!
B> Really, tell me more.