Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
**Disclaimer** This is about our trip, not some exciting news, so if you don't want to read it, hit your backspace now. If you go on from here, it's your choice to waste your time, and you lose your right to bitch, whine, or complain about it! So there...:tongue:

Several people have asked about it, so I thought I'd post it here. I guess I could have put it in the blog section, but "What the hell! :tongue:

Day 1

Had it's share of stress and frustrations, but turned out ok.

Got to the airport about 5:45 am. The airline only had one baggage checker, so by the time my bag got checked in, and I made it through the cattle lines at the security/xray machines, my plane was boarding.

We were supposed to leave at 6:45, but were informed that several passengers were stuck in line at the security check, and it would be a "couple of minutes". This was announced several times, until we finally took off at 7:45 :cool:.

3 hrs later (but figure in time change) we were approaching Minneapolis (Sp?) and were informed that anyone with a 1:00 and 1:05 connecting flight were not going to make it and would need to go to the ticket counter to reschedule :mad:. My question was, if we were forced to wait an hour to take oof, why couldn't our connecting flights be delayed a few minutes to allow us to get there?

Well, a couple minutes later, the captain announced that anyone that was getting on the Orlando flight (Me), could possibly still make it. An amazing (to me) thing happened. I had gotten aquainted with several of the other passengers around me, and by the time the flight landed, word had gotten through the plane, and everybody allowed me to get down the aisle and off of the plane 1st. If you know what happens as soon as the "bell" sounds, you know what an occurence that was :eek:

I literally ran down the hall thing(tarmac?) connected to the plane, as I'm getting into the actual airport, "I almost yell "Orlando?", which the ticket agents point to the gate directly to my right, still jogging, I make the right where the ticket agent there is holding out my boarding pass and asks are you "(insert my name)?". I say yes, and grab the ticket, never stopping and run down the boarding hall, into the plane, and they shut the plane door behind me. Phew!!

We land in Orlando, and I get to baggage claim, and no suitcase :frown1:. Meanwhile, poor "A" is driving circles and pausing at the passenger pick-up area, being harrassed by security and treated like he's got a bomb or something :rolleyes:.

They look up my bag and I'm informed that it was on the next flight scheduled to arrive in 2 hrs. Of course the nice (NOT), young(NOT), lady(ok, female at least) behind the luggage claim counter takes the time to say "The time between the first plane landing and the next flight taking off was 14 minutes. I don't know how you made it on there, but you knew darn well your luggage didn't". *smartass* She hands me a voucher for a future flight "for my troubles" and I walk outside.

"A" takes me to a "Hooters" since I'd never been and we have a plate of deep fried pickles and chicken strips, and enjoy some of the boobs walking around there :smile:

Back to the airport in a couple of hours, pick up my bag, and drive on to "A's" place.

Day 2

Pick up the moving trailer, which by the way was not tall enough to get a King sized mattress inside easily :mad:, but which is in there. Pack what is going and get out of there at about 4:30pm. I drove about 13 hrs and stopped in somwhere in Alabama. I think it was Mobile, but "A" thinks it was someplace else :confused:. What can I say, we were tired :tongue:.

It had dozens of hotel/motels, so we figured it would be easy. We did notice that there were an usually high number of vehicles. First place had no rooms, 2nd place same thing. When we asked why the high occupency, we were informed that it was all the Gulf clean up crews. We should have driven further, but settled on the last room available in a place that could best be described as a complete season of Jerry Springer "guests" :eek:

Day 3

We get breakfast at a "Waffle House". I had never heard of them and y'all have thousands of those things everywhere, lol. We head out for our next leg of the trip. One of the most amazing sights was the bridge in Louisiana, I think between Baton Rouge and LaFeyette (?). I swear, we were never on solid ground. That thing is HUGE!!

The funniest thing had to be in a parking lot of an "Adult Emporium" along the highway in either Louisiana or Mississippi (can't recall which). It was a big yellow sign that said "NO SEMI'S ALLOWED" :rofl:

I drove 13 hrs that day and we stopped in "Kerrville, Tx". Luckily, we found a decent room here :smile:

Day 4

It's about 10:30am and I'm about to jump in the shower. "A" looks so awesome and comfortable sleeping, that I hate to wake him, but....:tongue:

Hopefully, We'll get a chance to get on tonight and see everyone. Wish us luck and safety :biggrin1:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In today's world getting to the airport one hour before the flight is asking for trouble.

The tarmac is the pavement, including the runway.

Book your hotels before you leave. Plan to drive a certain distance every day. You will save a lot of money. Additionally you can, if you want do a side trip or two when you know your schedule.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Book your hotels before you leave. Plan to drive a certain distance every day. You will save a lot of money.
That's true but.... not in the spirit of a road trip. I suggest a random unplanned detour every day or two. Some of the best experiences and scenery and people are found on the less traveled roads. I just like to go, "I've never been on this road before, I wonder where it ends up?" You never know what might happen.

My dad use to do that when we'd have a road trip. We could tell when the map disappeared into the glove box that something unexpected was going to happen soon. Most of the time he'd let us choose which way to go and we'd proceed to get him throughly lost. :biggrin: Great times... I taught my kid to do the same and she's a fearless traveler.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
^ I could not agree more wholeheartedly... some of my favorite vacations were when inexplicable or unexpected turn of events caused the whole itinerary to be discarded and forced to travel the unexpected path.

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hope that your trip turns out to be a memorable experience. If you're headed West, check out Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico. Worth the drive if you're remotely nearby. I like to drive cross country. I've done twice on a motorcycle. Good times!

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Day 5

Texas is frikkin Huge!!:eek: It seemed like we would never leave the state, lol. Interesting how on the east side of Texas (going through on I 10) there seemed to be endless towns right next to each other. Once you hit the center and started heading through the west side, the towns were then few and far between. Fueling up became a strategy :wink:

"A" drove for a couple hours yesterday morning and gave me some time to sleep a bit more. Nothing very interesting happened yesterday. Pulled in to Tucson, Arizona about 2:30 am. Leaving here this morning and hope to be home about midnight or so.

take me with you!!!
We had to stop at the Border Patrol station. They would have taken you away from us :frown1: :tongue:

Where are you headed to?
Bringing a very special person "home" :biggrin1:

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You were on the east coast:eek:

Sounds like you have had an interesting time:smile: Seriously I hope you didn't eat at an Awful Waffle (err Waffle House):rolleyes::tongue: