Our two new pets...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Mademoiselle Rouge, Apr 16, 2008.

1. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I just had to share with you folks about our new additions to the family. I never thought i'd be the proud owner of hermit crabs. They are the perfect pets for our autistic daughter. She has been wanting a lizard or snake for a while and i happened upon these little suckers the other day in a store.

After much research on giving them the ideal "crabitat" they are living quite contently in her bedroom in a bluelit tank. She loves to hold them and take care of them by feeding, misting and watering them.

They are very therapeutic to watch late at night because they are nocturnal and do all sorts of things after everyone goes to bed. I'm thinking of getting a few more. I heard they can live up to 15 to 20 years and get about the size of a softball in their later years.

They haven't pinched us and they love human attention. I never dreamed these pets would be such a match for our family. Watching their tank in the dark late at night is such a stress reliever. It is a great part of my de-stressing my life.

Our daughter named them Lavender and Scarlett. I'm so glad we have a kid that responds so well to animals- even of the exotic variety. I'll be adding a few more once these little ones get settled in.

I was so happy about them i had to share!

2. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

That's wonderful MR, though they can be a bit fragile.
    My pair of terrorists managed to kill theirs in the first 2 hours of bringing them home.
    Mine you, my male Ridgeback that weighed 40kgs was terrified of my children so I guess I really should have known better.

3. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

those hermit crabs are so cute! i remember seeing them a few years ago at the shopping malls. they were all the rage with their colorful ceramic shells/houses and soon everyone had a hermit crab pet. from what i remember they're really easy to take care of too. i'm sure your daughter would love to have more.

4. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

Hermit crabs are surprisingly great pets!

Hope they work out well for ya. :]

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG! She freely admits she has crabs!

Hermit crabs can be really entertaining pets. There was a store near me that sold nothing but hermit crabs and shells for them. They were cute as hell. All of the shells were painted: super hero insignias, smiley faces, racing logos, little pink bows. They were hilarious.

6. lucky8

Gold Member

i had those once a few years ago, then my dog attacked them. i never knew he liked crab

7. simcha

Gold Member

Congratulations MR! Hermit crabs are great. If I didn't have my little kitty who would terrorize the poor things, I'd have one too. Pancho would be beside himself with jealousy and he'd knock the habitat over trying to kill the poor thing...

8. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

First time I've heard of a woman actually enjoying having crabs.:naughty::biggrin1:

9. whatireallywant

Gold Member

One of my friends has 2 hermit crabs (as well as 2 dogs and several cats).

I'm not sure I'd have hermit crabs as pets, but only because crab cakes are one of my favorite foods! (That is, if I had them as pets, I probably couldn't bring myself to eat crab cakes again...)

10. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I'm thinking about running out to the pet shop and grabbing a couple more. One of my babies changed shells overnight and now she cant sleep in the coral next to her buddy. They like to have hermie friends so i'll be adding some more to the crustacean family.

as for crab cakes, the kind of crabs used for that is totally different than hermit crabs that move from shell to shell to find a home. They aren't used for food at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted