Out of your league?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

This is an interesting concept.

Are leagues a personal choice or imposed by society?

Do you think that you are out of some leagues?

Do you use exclusions for your own league?

Do people think like this and why?

Am I asking too many questions?

Should I STFU now?

2. ManiacalMadMan

Gold Member

Keep asking questions there is no need to shut up now or ever if you are trying to learn new things

3. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

i would say impose by society . people create parameters to from groups and then exclude those that are different of the group

4. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

If you consider some people out of your league that always carries some implication you're a bit full of yourself. 'I'm out of your league,' it just sounds a bit snotty and as if you've made some snap judgement, but we all impose criteria which have to be met before we consider someone suitable for us.

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

No such thing as Leagues for me. We are all one and the same. We all shall line the earth together.

6. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, lacking sports ability, EVERY league was out of my reach -- baseball, football, hockey, etc., etc.

- - - -

All seriousness aside, there do seem to be "lines" and "circles" drawn around most social groups. And if you are not a "recognized member", then forget about it.

Except for LPSG (see later), I never feel like I'm "at home" anywhere, possibly because:

-- I'm a bit of an intellectual snob. I may not have read ALL the classics, but I've probably read 50-100 times more books than the average person on the street. (I'm not kidding, I used to live inside the pages of books, fiction and non-fiction)

-- I make a living off of my mind and imagination. I only know a handful of people who do that.

-- I'm a bit "wild" sexually, and most people frown on that kind of stuff.

There are circles where I feel I might be at home... but you can't just walk up and say, "Hey, can I join?" It's "invitation" only -- and the only way you get an "invitation" is to EARN admission. For example, you have to be "well known" in the same way -- you have to have had a book on the NY Times Bellseller List, win a Grammy, earn a degree from the same class of university, make a hit movie or record, be a face in the tabloids, etc. etc. etc.

Within the next 12 months, I will have finished "earning my admission" to the particular circle that I aspire to.

But in the meantime, LPSG is about the only place I've found where there are:

-- people who think
    -- people who are open sexually
    -- people who are fun and flirty

So there! :rolleyes:

7. Purplesaurus

Purplesaurus New Member

Albums:
    They are imposed by society. Society tells you by how they treat you that you are out of their league.

8. str82fcuk

str82fcuk Member

Albums:
    Glasgow ... (formerly Johannesburg, Montreal)
    Personally I dont belong to any leagues, never have and never will, and I really don't fancy anyone who does ... but obviously I do notice that most other people do engage in games of this kind ...

9. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

This is an interesting concept.
    Eh, not so much

Are leagues a personal choice or imposed by society?
    Personal choice (it's all mental)

Do you think that you are out of some leagues?
    Hah. Oh wait, are you serious?

Do you use exclusions for your own league?
    Nope. Doesn't matter how attractive a girl is if she's annoying, shallow, smart as gum, etc. Everyone is welcome

Do people think like this and why?
    In my experience, nobody thinks like me. I'm sure people have established "leagues" and reject those that are beneath them. I'm accepted by all because I'm oh so charming so I can't relate

Am I asking too many questions?
    You're one question away from too many

Should I STFU now?
    And here it is :)

10. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't "out of my league" mean he/she is too good for me as well as not good enough for me? Like I could say, "that girl wouldn't like me, she's too hot, she's out of my league."

To answer the OP, I don't think I could date actresses in Hollywood. They are out of my league simply because they make so much money that they wouldn't want to be with me. So yes, I am out of some leagues. But there are no real boundaries on these so called "leagues". It's just an expression to say that you are not compatible with someone else for whatever reasons (beauty, age, wealth).

11. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Yeah Jovial usually 'out of my league' means you consider someone too good for you, I worded what I said badly. I've not been paying attention much of late because I'm busy worrying about a friend :(

12. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

hotmilf: you have a very sexy body and a very sexy mind, channeled through your posts. I feel I must give you a new name since milf is much to base a title for one as fine as you. That new name is...FLIM :biggrin1:

On topic: I used to think I was a FREAK and that no female (of any species!) would even want to talk to me...

I still feel most girls are out of my league but if they eye me up and engage in prolonged perving, I'll go over and say hi. This doesn't happen often though...so all the others who don't give me the eye are out of my league? I think.

I'm quiet/introverted. And no one likes an introvert. At least...not round here. And it seems like a catch 22. How will an introvert meet another introvert (or at least someone compatible with them or 'in their league') if they're both too shy to speak :confused:

13. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Anyone who considers themselves out of my league is a twat and deserves to be treated with disdain.

Anyone who considers me out of their league is being silly and doesn't know me very well.

However, people do think like that and it is partly because of the kind of social animals we are descended from and partly the way many cultures and societies are run / run themselves - in short, most people, like animals, feel more secure when they 'know their place'. The knowing of the place being far more important than the place itself.

14. simcha

Gold Member

It's all crap anyway. We still act like Baboons and unfortunately I don't see it changing.

15. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's stupid and imposed by society. The only time I might think I'm out of someone's league is when they've had the audacity to consider me out of theirs! And then, in that case I would have to agree because I certainly am not in the league of assholes!

16. viking1

Gold Member

1. Could be by choice or by society.

2. I'm out of all leagues. I feel that I'm nothing in this world.

3. What league am I in? How can I exclude anyone without knowing?

4. Yes, sadly, people do think like this. Mostly due to ego, pride, prejudice. etc.

17. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    People (SOCIETY) do place these barriers on what types of people should be dating the other. These leagues are unfortunate, yet not always something that the presumed "superior one" necessarily accepts.

For me... I like me. I LOVE me. And, if you KNEW me, then you would grow to like me and love me as well. Now, granted, if a person decides that I am not suitable to be in their "league," then bless them. It is their loss because I know what talents I have, which are many and far more valuable than to be marketed only to the few "leagues" available. (Am I overly confident? haha NO - just convinced!!!). ;)

18. Principessa

Gold Member

Not at all, this is interesting to me as I have often mulled it in my mind over the years. :smile: Besides, this is a lot less offensive than the thread you wrote, which I misconstrued as being about pedophilia. :redface::tongue:

19. whatireallywant

Gold Member

1. I think leagues are a little of both. Personal choice and imposed by society to some extent.

2. I KNOW that I am out of some leagues! I'm not a "hottie" and I'm also not rich, don't come from a rich family, etc. I have actually been around some "high society" types, and like any other group of people, some of them were nice and some of them weren't, so I don't make judgments on a whole group of people...

3. I'm afraid I do. Some of it is personality-based (no assholes!), some, regrettably, is looks-based (like I am in any position to do that!). It's not about height or anything like that, it's more facial appearance, although if a guy is extremely overweight (I don't mean "a few extra pounds" here by that - I have a few extra pounds on me and I've dated guys with a few extra pounds on them and that doesn't bother me so much), that would affect my decision as well. I'm not really super picky about looks though, since I don't feel that I am good-looking enough to afford to be picky that way. I am rather picky about personality though.

20. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    WIRW, hun...you need to stop putting yourself down...really! For everytime you start to hear all that negativity in your head I wish you would counter it with some affirmation about yourself. I know at first it can be hard, but it will get easier. Try it, please...life is too short to not be your own cheerleader!

Draft saved Draft deleted