over a quarter of New Yorkers have herpes

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_New End, Jun 10, 2008.

1. B_New End

B_New End New Member

and 19% of all Americans have it... WTF?

2. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    remind me not to have sex with anyone from the city unless I am using a body condom lol

3. nudeyorker

Gold Member

With out sounding elitist...it's going to be impossible not to. This survey had to include all five burroughs. What age groups were tested? Was ethnic background and education part of the study. If you take a test group of 2000 people and it shows 19% have STD it's not really the stats of the most populated city in the US!

4. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some people have it and it never bothers them. Some people are hit deeply by it. And some people shows signs of it few a few months and it vanishes.

5. shadow27

shadow27 New Member

Its funny because it was said that... Douglas county in Nebraska...omaha...has like the highest Gonorrhea rate in the country...i dont know if that has changed but it was at one time...

6. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    Herpes usually isn't a very popular topic around here, so I expect this thread to die fairly quickly.

"Genital herpes alone will not cause serious problems for most people"
    But pregnant women who have it can potentially pass it on to their child during birth, so they will end up having to get a cesarean section if they are having an outbreak. Even without an outbreak they risk passing it on during birth. A newborn that contracts it can have severe problems or even die.

Women's symptoms are usually more severe than men's.

"Using condoms consistently will help you avoid getting or spreading genital herpes."
    This will only reduce the risk, since herpes can be spread from the areas that the condom doesn't cover. And there is still a (smaller) chance of getting it even if your partner isn't having an outbreak.

And the thing that pisses me off is that they don't routinely give blood tests to check if you have the antibodies, meaning you've been previously exposed to the viruses (HSV-1 or HSV-2). They will examine you, but you may have had the virus but no outbreak, or you didn't realize it was a herpes outbreak. So they will send you on your way thinking that you don't have any STD's. When you get an STD test, ask for a blood test for herpes, and get a copy of the results to show to your sexual partners. Here is a list of herpes blood tests so you can ask you doctor about on e of these tests.

There is a lot of information about herpes and a message board at Herpes and Cold Sores - Sort the Facts from the Fiction.

7. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    ROFLMAO. Don't get comfortable though outside NY, every state has a large group of whorish bafoons who think pulling out or being the top makes you unlikely to STDs.

8. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    As I predicted this thread died quickly. No wonder herpes is an epidemic. No one wants to think, talk or worry about it.

9. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jay Leno quoted this fact, that one in four people have herpes and asked "so which one of the women on the View do you think has it".

10. Principessa

Gold Member

There are gay men that think being a top prevents them from getting an STD? :wtf2: No way?! That's so stupid. Do they also think being a top makes them more of a 'real man?'

Not for nothing but at my age (42) what's left to talk about. It's an STD that is worse for women than men, and it can cause PID-Pelvic Inflammatory Disease and sterility.

IMO Anybody that doesn't know enough to use condoms in this day and age is a jackass.

My money is on that bitchy blonde Elizabeth. :tongue:

#10 Principessa, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  11. Redsquall

Redsquall New Member

My boyfriend is from NYC. He'll love this, LOL.

12. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    But a condom only cuts the risk in half. People think they are safe just throwing a condom on. The condom doesn't cover the areas around the penis.

13. Principessa

Gold Member

Half? Are you sure about that? If so then the 19% mentioned in the OP is incorrect.

Since the option is either have sex without a condom or not having sex at all; I vote for sex with a condom as well as getting to know a guy pretty well first and perhaps even going to get tested together.

14. Xcuze

Gold Member

I think condoms cut the risk a lot more than half. Ive always worn condoms & never had any form of STD whatsoever. Lucky? Maybe, but there are risks & there are risks...

15. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I couldn't find the reference where I read that, but it said using Valtrex (the infected person) cut the risk in half and using a condom cut it in half again.

The risk is large when someone has the herpes sores because the virus is on the sores and skin. But when they don't have any sores, infected people still occasionally have the virus on the skin. This is called viral shedding. When an infected person has no visible sores there is only about a 2-3% chance that they are shedding the virus.

So basically, if you picked a random person that didn't have sores on their genitals, then there would only be about a 0.20 * 0.02 = 0.004 chance (0.4%) that they would have the virus on there skin in the area where they get outbreaks. To catch the virus it has to go through a cut in your skin also, so if you have no cuts, wear a condom, your partner takes a shower before sex and your partner doesn't have any sores, then your risk is pretty low. If you have enough sex with different people, then eventually the odds will catch up to you. And sometimes the sores are not big and are undiagnosed as herpes, so if someone says it's just a rash or something, you should still be worried.

Since HIV became prevalent, herpes was put on the back burner. I read a lot about herpes last year and still don't completely understand the statistics and risks, so I doubt the average person knows much either. And a lot of doctors are ignorant also.

16. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Best....post....ever. Those little palm-pilots they have now? Sometimes its to "webmd" your symptoms.

17. Northland

Gold Member

Palm-pilots? My doctor doesn't have one of those-am I being failed medically?

18. Honey123

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The thing that kills me about people with Genital Herpes and other STD's is that many will not tell the person they are with that they have it. Some take the attitude of the other person didn't ask so they didn't tell, others just outright lie.

I heard just recently that 1 in 5 have Genital Herpes... and the guy that said it was like "so it's no big deal these days." Well I don't know, but it's a big deal to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted