over the calf dress socks

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by BigMeatNJ, Jan 5, 2010.

1. BigMeatNJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know I have a thing for them, but it surprises me how many younger guys don't seem to wear dress socks when dressed up. New Years Eve in a pretty nice restuarant and I look around and see everyone dressed up...not formal or even suits and ties, but dress pants and shoes and nice clothes. and i can't believe that I see at least 3 or 4 younger guys near me wearing ankle length black sweatsox! how many guys here wear over the calf sox with a suit or when dressed still? to me the ankle length is fine with shorts, but in dress pants it looked like crap. like jockstraps and some other things, are these going by the wayside too? I'll tell you..if a young guy comes in for an interview and he's not dressed right..like those ankle socks with dress pants...it DOES make a bad first impression...like he doesn't know the do's and don'ts of the business world.

2. Big Don

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    At least those guys were wearing BLACK sweat socks. I've seen guys dressed in a suit or khakis wearing white socks.

By the way, I always wear black over the calf socks when I wear a suit or khakis.

3. msmooooth

msmooooth New Member

It seems that a lot of people do not take pride in their appearance any longer. You can see it in the most basic of things these days. T.V. commercials are a prime example. Everyone is scruffy, messed up hair, etc.. It's kind of disgusting really.

There are certain times that call for certain actions. Wearing a suit requires the appropriate accoutrements, black dress socks included.

I find it hard not to laugh at people who go and get tattoo's that are visible and then wonder why the professional world never takes them seriously. I have six tattoo's and you can't see one of them, even if I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Come on people! Pick up a GQ magazine every once in a while. It won't kill you!

:) But, I digress.......

4. NY4Curious

NY4Curious New Member

While I understand that fashion and style change like the seasons (My grandmother would regail my friends and me telling us about rolling her silk stocking down to the knees and shocking people by discarding most if not all of their undergarments as a flapper in the roaring twenties).
    However, to me the fun of "dressing up" is just that, dressing up, wearing things I don't wear on a daily basis. Over the calf black socks are certainly a part of the fun of "dressing up", but that's the excitement of being my age. How many young men today will be thrilled and feel truly grown up when they receive their first top coat?
    But then again, in today's economic climate how many parent(s) are able to afford a Target top coat (if Target sells them) let alone a Brooks Brothers top coat. Like the socks that style and fashion of family life and rites of passage hardly exist today. Especially in America.
    I will report several years ago in London my companion and I went to the theater on Christmas Eve to see "Oliver!". There were many families in the audience, every member of the family was formally dressed, even young men as young as ten or eleven were in tuxedos and the young women were in age appropriate evening dresses. I'm certain the young men were wearing over the calf stockings.

5. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Big Don...nice cock. How about "socking it to me?" :tongue:

6. tgw

tgw
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Completely agree!

7. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

Totally agree. Guys today don't know how to dress - don't know how to match colors and patterns and don't know what over the calf socks are. I have worn Gold Toe over the calf socks since college. I do not like leg showing when wearing a suit or dress pants, period. In Europe, however, men wear short socks with everything and even industry chiefs can be seen sitting with their white ankles shining in the light. Then again, I've seen British gentlemen wearing a navy blue suit and RED socks.

8. puslover

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree. When I suit up I go all out. I shine my shoes, where my over the calf black socks, and I even wear shirt stays for my final touch. My shirt stays attach at the bottom of my shirt (2 in back and 2 in front) and attach to my socks. They keep my shirt tucked no matter how many times i go from sitting to standing and back again. To me a shirt tail coming untucked looks just as sloppy as ankle socks.

9. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

A woman once told me that the first thing she looks at on a man is his shoes. If he takes care of his shoes, he takes care of himself. If his shoes look like shit, chances are high that his life is in the same condition. Interesting observation.

10. AbeFroman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's pretty much what I was taught growing up.

Nearly every young punk who comes through my office interviewing for jobs seems to think that a college degree, 2-3 ys of experience qualifies them to hold title and of Senior <insert IT related role> and a $100k salary. To a man, there aren't many women in the IT industry, nearly all have no clue how to dress. I'm not talking about striped shirts and patterned ties. I'm talking mismatched suits, wrinkled shirts, horrible tie knots and of course short socks.

Before the kid even opens his mouth, I know he's not getting the job and invariably, the rest of the team reports in that 2-3 ys of exp doesn't qualify him to be the Senior Whatever, which usually commands 6-8 or 7-10 ys of exp. And of course the kid isn't interested in a mid level roll. But IT unemployment in DC is still south of 3% and nobody worth a damn is actually looking to leave their decent gig.

11. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

Its a new Age..... You can also wear "white" in the winter. And you dont need to match your shoes to your purse. Who woulda thought ?

12. BigMeatNJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have them too...goes back to USMC keeping that shirt in tight and neat. I have been asked alot what they are and where to get them.

completely agree....and notice that she is right usually too. a mans shoes tell you a lot about him. superficial, but accurate usually.

#12 BigMeatNJ, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  13. puslover

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Another great observation AbeForman, I hate to see sloppy tie knots and ties that are worn far too loose. Its not hard to tie a full windsor, the best tie knot ever in my opinion, just looks like you take the time to care and looks far more professional.

14. msmooooth

msmooooth New Member

Gentlemen,

You have no idea how good this thread makes me feel.

I'm in the fortunate position that I can wear shorts and flip flops to my office but, when I meet with clients, I dress appropriately. And it's important to do so.

It's nice to see that other professionals feel the same. I've been so inundated with FAD T.V. commercials and younger people (I'm only 40) that seem to think it's alright to look like slobs.

It's refreshing to see others take pride in themselves when the situation calls for it.

Have a GREAT DAY guys!

15. D_Doe_Ray_Mi

D_Doe_Ray_Mi Account Disabled

I agree. I do like to dress up for appropriate occasions. However, I live in the mountains of CO now and everything and everyone is very casual and a lot, the "ski bum" stereotype are very sloppy. Yet it's great that there is mutual acceptance where I've gone to an event in an elegant tux and there will be other guests in jeans and boots and it's all okay. You know how they say that you can take the man off the beach but you can't take the sand out of his shoes? Well, I fall into that vein as a former Palm Beacher, my preference, weather permitting is no socks in any but the most formal attire. I say socks are for black tie and snowboard boots!

16. NY4Curious

NY4Curious New Member

It is also about point of view and how one projects one's self image. Not too long ago it was said the good thing about either a nun or monks habit or the blue jeans, blue jean jacket was that you were appropriately dressed for any situation from beach side to black tie. But a lot that also had to do with the amount of pride in yourself you project, not only pride in how you look, pride in what you do, pride in the excellence of your opinions and pride of where you are. I confess I think a lot of this "I won't be critical of others, for they are free to do as they wish"--"One should never present oneself as better than another person, we are all equal" has a lot to do with the "why bother" attitude so many people have today. Well we all are equal under the law and as an American I do not believe in the privilege of birth, but there are people better looking than I am, and I am smarter than many people, I have terrible athletic skills and almost no musical talent. These are not opinions but facts. I'm proud of both my looks and intelligence and what they have accomplished for me. I wish to present them in the best package possible (pun intended, I think). Wrapping matters, if it's a gag gift or how you dress to go to dinner.

17. jocks54

jocks54 Active Member

WOW! This thread really stikes a nerve with me. I only wear OTC socks. My dad and grand dad were Bankers. Grandad wore sock garters and sheer socks, Dad wore OTC and had some sheers for formal occasions.
    It is really refreshing to see younger guys chiming in favor of OTC.
    If one looks back Pres. Obama used to show some skin. NO more. Its so uappealing and un professional to show a naked shin. Its distracting.
    As a manager who does hire people I always check their attire. If one pays attention to detail their socks will show that. I have seen well dressed men in worn holey socks, even one in terry cloth slipper socks or just faded tired slouchy socks!!! No attention to detail.
    Don't look to the fashionistas at GQ. There take is the no sock look is in. Its distracting and unsanitary. Not good for your shoes or feet. Just read the mens fashion guides written by Allen Flusser. He is a the top authority in mens fashion.
    Guys, OTC socks are always appropriate with slacks. I have a cousin who works in Bermuda. They are mandatory with shorts. There are some new fun sexy sheers with diffrent colors that can be fun too.

18. outdoorsguy23

outdoorsguy23 Member

I am a young medical profressional and always wear at least calf high socks to work under dress pants. My real questions is, what are your socks supposed to match pants or shoes or shirt?

19. OscarM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I love my dress shoes and love my over-the-calf dress socks! Pretty much wear it every day to work. Sometimes I wear the socks even when I'm just wearing running shoes. Hah!

I never let my socks show so that was never a concern to me. It's a peeve of mine to see people wearing "short" pants where their socks are showing --- I never understood that kind of fashion. Same with people wearing white socks with dress shoes... wtf?

#19 OscarM, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  20. LGX

LGX Member

They turn me on a lot for some reason.... Add a kilt to that and I asplode!

Draft saved Draft deleted