Overbite correction

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by morsecode, Aug 17, 2008.

1. morsecode

morsecode New Member

OK, so I got an overbite, I don't think is that bad because I've surfed the net and read lots of people saying that is painful and that they can't swallow properly, I don't have that, but I just wanted to know if any of you guys can tell me how long on average one has to wear braces?, considering that I'm 21 and most likely finished growing. And if there is any alternative to the braces to avoid looking like a dork at 21.

2. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Any validity to those invasalign things they advertise on tv?

3. Xcuze

Gold Member

Im sure you can get invisible braces. Ive seen them advertised many times.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

Get Invisalign! They are clear braces. I know one of our members has them and you cannot see them when speaking .

As for how long you need to wear them. It depends on how bad your overbite is. I have known people to wear metal braces anywhere from 1-3 years. You need to see an orthodontist for more information on braces and which kind is best for you.

5. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Don't be fooled by rubbish on the internet. Just man up and get braces. I had a 9mm overbite and I have to wear mine for 2 and a half years if I don't get my jaw broken. Braces are fun and you will be so glad that you got them for yourself. Forever nice teeth and no overbite.

6. leonceswim

leonceswim Active Member

Albums:
    they created a small overbite on me...i had a cross bite at first, fixed it for the most part, braces for a total year and a half...

7. leonceswim

leonceswim Active Member

Albums:
    and of course it hurts! haha. but dont be a puss! :tongue: it only lasts a week! for every tightening!

8. Gl3nn

Gold Member

It depends how bad the overbite is. And if it has to do with the position of your teeth or the position of your jaws. If it can't be solved with braces, you'll need an operation.

In the operation they break your jaw and put it forward so your teeth will be perfect.
    Just make sure you have enough painkillers and ice in house then.
    But i'd go for braces first.

Braces aren't the coolest thing indeed. But they do give you nice teeth forever and you only have to wear them a couple of years. 21 is kinda late...

9. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wouldnt say they Hurt, more Ache.

I had the traditional brackets and wires, and when you go in for adjustments, your teeth will ache like hell that night and the next few days.
    Nothing Asprin or excederin can't fix. It's like a headache for your teeth.

I had braces for about 2 years and then they had to surgically re-align my bottom jaw and my top pallate. I underwent major surgery to get my teeth to lign up properly.
    Now, THAT was a bitch.

Now is kinda late, but Get them and be done with it. You'll have them off in no time and your teeth will last a lot longer.

10. morsecode

morsecode New Member

oh well, so apparently braces is the way to go, but I'm sure I won't be doing it anytime soon, maybe next year when I graduate and get a job and can pay for it, and for the lateness, well I lived in a shit country with shit income for my entire adolescence, so no money for making me feel pretty.

11. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I know 40 year olds with braces, it's never too late to fix your teeth.

Draft saved Draft deleted