Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
We never even thought about taking a shower in middle school. The teacher actively discouraged it and the one time a couple guys did shower, he got upset with how much water they got everywhere. There were only four stalls, all with curtains and they were used for changing, including by myself. I was still wearing briefs at that point and I was very afraid of being made fun of by the relentless teasers that are middle school boys.

Where I grew up, we were required to take two semesters of phys ed, usually one freshman year and one sophomore year. I knew the locker room was much, much more open than middle school. It didn't even have toilet stalls, let alone shower stalls. So I breathed a sigh of relief the summer before my freshman year when I got my computer-generated schedule and discovered I wouldn't have to face gym class until second semester.

Soon enough, though, the holiday break came, one year rolled into another and the semesters changed. I had gym second-to-last period of the day. We had an orientation period our first class, going over expectations, picking lockers etc. The teacher emphasized that he couldn't require showers, but they he did strongly encourage them and would be more than willing to give enough time after class to make sure everyone could shower.

I knew that showering was the right thing to do, so I packed a towel and some supplies the next time I had gym and prepared to face the showers. After class, I was surprised when only one other guy decided to hit the showers. He treated it mostly as a joke too, an excuse to make other guys uncomfortable by running around the locker room naked. I, meanwhile did the towel dance and headed to the showers wrapped up.

The way the locker rooms were arranged, the shower bays were along one side. There was a drying room with an entrance from the middle of the proper locker room, and then one bay to the left and one to the right. The way things were built, you couldn't actually see into the shower bays from the locker room. Each bay had seven shower heads: three on the wall opposite the door, two on each of the sidewalls and two on the front walls next to the entrances. For some reason, the other guy and I both used the same shower room and both used the showers next to the entrances. I think we actually wanted the most privacy if anyone came in.

The shower was normal, pretty quick. Afterwards, I left the shower bay and wrapped myself in my towel as I entered the drying area. And that's when the laughs started. At first I wasn't sure what happened, but then I looked down: I had a small erection under my towel. Pretty much the most embarrassing thing possible for a high school freshman.

There wasn't a lot of showering the rest of that year, for me or for anyone else. Sophomore year, though, I had gym earlier in the day and a lot more guys had become more comfortable with the showers because of sports and just the general passage of time. I still couldn't join them. I was too afraid I would get another erection and be labeled again. Even when a cute girl asked me why I didn't shower after class like the other guys, I couldn't force myself to overcome my fear. I only ever used the high school showers again when I was alone in the locker room.

And since high school, I've never used a communal shower. I've barely even used a locker room. However, I would like to work on overcoming this fear. I think the idea of a communal shower is completely natural and practical. They seem like a normal thing to do. I'd like to find a locker room with an open shower near me and start to work up the courage to use it with no fear. And no erections.

Sorry this was so long. I haven't really told that story in the 10+ years since it happened because I've been so embarrassed. Need to let it out to make things better.

Hey,
I understand completely. As a late bloomer i didn’t shower in junior high school after gym period. Where some guys had pubes by 7th grade...me? Nothing till I was almost 15, until late 9th grade. I’d just finish the day stinking and shower at home. I didn’t want to give the guys who pushed me around a opportunity to fuck with me in the shower. We had two of those poles with the multiple heads, and the gym coach wasn’t really paying attention, ever. As I got older and found more friends thru high school, participating in school sports, showering with guys became more comfortable, especially after seeing guys with less than me.

As for getting hard in the shower? Maybe turn up the cold a bit and remember, sex is mental as well as physical and you can turn off the arousal if you choose......That and shower quickly.

Fotographer001

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
There's a guy like that at my University gym. He's and older, obese guy who only uses the steam room and shower. At least the undergrads get a graphic view of their potential future.

I man told me he was in for an executive workout once. I asked what that meant, and he said.... "hot tub, sauna, steam room, shower, repeat"... is that a thing?

Reactions: Sherwood D. Likelym

Spike Baltar

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I man told me he was in for an executive workout once. I asked what that meant, and he said.... "hot tub, sauna, steam room, shower, repeat"... is that a thing?
Yes, its the workout of The Gym Cruiser. We get a ton of them at the gyms I go to. :D

You missed one point... the creepers at the gym... guys who never go to actually workout but are always in the shower / steam. Having said that I still shower naked.

There are a lot of guys like this at my Y. It explains why they are getting fatter and fatter despite being in the gym regularly.

Reactions: Sexromasex

Spike Baltar

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Likely. I suppose there are SOME guys that use the steam for humidity, and like to relax in the hot tub, but I'd say 90% that go just to use these facilities are there to at LEAST look at men, if not more.

Sherwood D. Likelym

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Likely. I suppose there are SOME guys that use the steam for humidity, and like to relax in the hot tub, but I'd say 90% that go just to use these facilities are there to at LEAST look at men, if not more.
I suspect some of us may be exhibitionists, also:neutral:

A

auticor

When I was 15 I went on a summer camp and our group got split in 2 to go kayaking. 6 of us had a good time but we had wet shorts when we got out of the kayaks at the end. We still had to walk back all the way and the other boys gathered in half a circle and started taking off their bottoms there and then. We were still by the river and a bit further was a campsite with a couple of people that could see us. I saw the other boys had brought dry underwear. I had forgotten mine, but I felt the urge to be part of the team. I felt excited when I pulled down my briefs and dried off my legs, penis and bum. An older guy was taking a good look at us and I didn’t mind as we were all naked together. The man was looking at me as I was the only one facing him. When I was young I was more concerned having my ass visible. Cock was fine.
After drying off I followed the others but had to put my wet briefs back on.
When I’m in gym showers now I usually would be ok to strip off and shower naked. In the gym at work I’m more careful, though will still do it when the right guys are around. No flashing, just some functional nudity, as people do talk about this stuff at work. I’ve heard them talk about others. When other guys at work strip off to shower I’m never able to not have a peek. Just love it when a handsome coworker reveals his private parts to me.

I was thinking of this thread tonight after my workout at my Y. I happened to finish my workout at the same time as a really good looking and incredibly fit young guy who I would guess is 20 years old. His locker happened to be beside mine. He got unchanged quickly and wrapped a towel tightly around himself. I stripped off as usual to head to the open shower naked (I never wrap a towel around myself). I noticed when I entered the shower room that he was in the 1 stall that's in the open shower with the curtain closed. I went into the steam room and he came in shortly after. We started chatting and I noticed him loosen his towel (I sit on mine naked). I got up to hit the shower to cool off in mid conversation without wrapping a towel around myself (I never do). When I came back to the steam room he continued to chat with me. When we finished in the steam room we both hit the showers together and continued our conversation. I expected him to head back to the stall and close the curtain, but he didn't this time. Instead he took the shower head across from mine, so we could continue talking. I was quite surprised by the sudden change in his shower behavior. Because he finished a minute before me, he put out his hand to shake hands with me while we were both naked. After exiting the shower, he seemed more relaxed drying off and walking back to his locker. I was right behind him heading to my locker because I finished showering a minute after him. He also seemed more relaxed getting changed at his locker as well. He told me that he had just started at the Y. The fact that he signed up for the plus locker room tells me that he intended to use the facilities because it comes at a premium price. The Y is the only gym left in the city that still has an open shower. He could have signed up at any other gym in the city that has all shower stalls, but he still chose the Y. I can't help but wonder if this young guy was just looking for some guidance which I provided by being naked the whole time I was with him. It was quite an about face. Normally in my experience, it takes guys a couple of months to loosen up as much as he did. I wonder if he was lacking a male role model in his life and truly didn't know what was appropriate in the men's locker room. With the number of single moms raising sons nowadays and absentee fathers, I wouldn't be surprised.

I ran into this guy last night in the locker room. We happened to finish at the same time, and our lockers were across from each other. Wow! What an amazing transformation in just a couple of weeks when I last saw him. We started chatting, and I as usual took off all my clothes and drank from my water bottle while we were talking. He then did the exact same without wrapping a towel around himself. He stripped completely and then walked naked to the open shower. This time he took the one shower head that looks out into the locker room and everyone can see from the locker room. I took the shower head beside his and we continued talking. He then told me he was hitting the steam room which I was going to do as well. In the steam room, he sat on his towel with his legs open and not covered in the slightest. We continued talking and then hit the showers again and took the exact same shower heads. He finished up a few minutes before me, and I watched him casually dry off and walk back to his locker. When I came out of the shower and went to my locker, he was partially dressed and seemed to be waiting for me. We continued our chat and then he had to go because his girlfriend was waiting. So cool seeing this young (and fucking hot) guy loosen up so much. I can't help but wonder if me setting an example for him got him to get over himself.

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I ran into this guy last night in the locker room. We happened to finish at the same time, and our lockers were across from each other. Wow! What an amazing transformation in just a couple of weeks when I last saw him. We started chatting, and I as usual took off all my clothes and drank from my water bottle while we were talking. He then did the exact same without wrapping a towel around himself. He stripped completely and then walked naked to the open shower. This time he took the one shower head that looks out into the locker room and everyone can see from the locker room. I took the shower head beside his and we continued talking. He then told me he was hitting the steam room which I was going to do as well. In the steam room, he sat on his towel with his legs open and not covered in the slightest. We continued talking and then hit the showers again and took the exact same shower heads. He finished up a few minutes before me, and I watched him casually dry off and walk back to his locker. When I came out of the shower and went to my locker, he was partially dressed and seemed to be waiting for me. We continued our chat and then he had to go because his girlfriend was waiting. So cool seeing this young (and fucking hot) guy loosen up so much. I can't help but wonder if me setting an example for him got him to get over himself.
I can't help but think that your non aggressive approach to this young man has helped him to understand that it is right and proper to be nude and hold a conversation with another nude male in the locker room and shower. I also think that you are right in your earlier statement the he my have needed to be shown from a male prospective the proper way to conduct himself in a locker room, as he may not have gotten that instruction at home or at school. He may also be looking at you as a positive male example in his life as to how to be a good and confident person. He is also starting to become a body positive person with his body and that of other male bodies. You have helped him to see that he has nothing to be afraid of or to fear in the locker room.

newguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
What gym is this at?

HairyMuscle

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Never really enjoyed open showers when I was younger. But now (40s) I love it, happy with my body and for it to be seen fully naked by anyone who cares to watch. My only ‘fear’ is showing bone if there is the appropriate visual stimulation ;-)

Sexromasex

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Locker room culture is different all over the world. In my experience in these different countries:

-Italy : my home country, and the most relaxed towards nudity in the locker room. In the locker room of an Italian gym, you find men totally naked, totally dressed or anything in between. You see men drying off naked, one next the other, a naked man talking with a friend, naked or not, and never ever shower with curtains, communal showers or cubicles

France: almost the same in Italy, but my experience is more limited

Belgium and specifically Brussels: quite a disaster here, you'll see men taking showers with their underwear on, then going back to the locker, doing a towel dance and change their underwear. Mostly skip showering, showers are often with closed doors. At one point, I was the only one naked with around 50 people in the room

Germany: as Italy more or less

Finland: more prudish than Italy

And in your country?

nodick2big69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
in high school after gym class it was mandatory to shower off and change clothes--I didn't mind it I got to see a lot of my friends naked and it was sweet

got caught admiring the view few times and couple called me a fag and left the shower but later did things when no one knew a my place or theirs--had a couple wanted head then like here fag suck my dick like that was supposed to offend me

justahornyguy174

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Locker room culture is different all over the world. In my experience in these different countries:

-Italy : my home country, and the most relaxed towards nudity in the locker room. In the locker room of an Italian gym, you find men totally naked, totally dressed or anything in between. You see men drying off naked, one next the other, a naked man talking with a friend, naked or not, and never ever shower with curtains, communal showers or cubicles

France: almost the same in Italy, but my experience is more limited

Belgium and specifically Brussels: quite a disaster here, you'll see men taking showers with their underwear on, then going back to the locker, doing a towel dance and change their underwear. Mostly skip showering, showers are often with closed doors. At one point, I was the only one naked with around 50 people in the room

Germany: as Italy more or less

Finland: more prudish than Italy

And in your country?
That's strange, i thought Belgium would be very open? I went to a rock festival there, they had showers, each as it's own little pod kind of thing with salon doors so you could see over the top. In between there was just long benches where you got changed, it was mixed. I couldn't believe how hot it was, stunning 20 something girls all naked around me as I got naked, had to wait a little for one of the showers to come free, I felt a semi coming on which I tried to stop but I had no chance stopping, fortunately one came free and I rushed in, another 15 seconds and I'd have been fully hard!
As for Finland, don't they have lots of nude saunas etc?