Overcoming gym shower fear

domonkasshu160

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just wanted to tell the members here that due to the many gym shower, towel dance, communal shower, and locker room threads I started stripping completely naked in the locker room at my gym two years ago. I still do it now with no qualms and am so glad that I did. I am only naked for about 10 seconds, so I agree with most posters here that the towel dance is a lot of effort to negate ten seconds of nudity. I was not shy before, I just did not know proper etiquette as I never had to be in a locker room setting before and everyone else in my gym does the towel dance or changes in the changing stalls. I have not had a chance to shower in a communal shower before because my gym has curtained stalls, but I plan to give it a try in the future. Thanks for all your anonymous support!

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I just wanted to tell the members here that due to the many gym shower, towel dance, communal shower, and locker room threads I started stripping completely naked in the locker room at my gym two years ago. I still do it now with no qualms and am so glad that I did. I am only naked for about 10 seconds, so I agree with most posters here that the towel dance is a lot of effort to negate ten seconds of nudity. I was not shy before, I just did not know proper etiquette as I never had to be in a locker room setting before and everyone else in my gym does the towel dance or changes in the changing stalls. I have not had a chance to shower in a communal shower before because my gym has curtained stalls, but I plan to give it a try in the future. Thanks for all your anonymous support!

It is liberating. As we move into the new year I hope others will resolve similarly.

Reactions: Gj816 and aldawg

glow

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The key is that in general men (even gay men) are not that interested about other people's bodies. I become interested if the guy seems cool and interesting in all senses, then I might check what he has between his legs and if he's hairy or not. I go to gym 3 times a week and each time there are large and small, smooth and hairy, cut and uncut. Some like to show off, others don't show at all and it's fine. I have never seen big hard ons at gym shower or sauna, might be a coincidence though because I think they occur. I have had a semi couple of times but no one has cared or commented about it.

domonkasshu160

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm the only one that is naked in the locker room when I change, so there is not eye candy to even look for. Everyone else does the towel dance or strips to underwear and only removes it after shutting the curtain in their shower stall. I still hope for another proud man like myself and use the chance to catch a glance at someone as my motivation to work out and stay active.

Reactions: orangeC

glow

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's probably related to culture then and different in each country? Last spring in Germany there were women and men naked together in locker room in a spa and it wasn't even a nude spa: people put on their swimming suits when they entered the pool area.

Bondi

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I felt like I was in bizarro world soaking in my gym’s whirlpool today. Most of the younger guys were nude, while most of the older guys wore swim suits. My theory is that many of the older guys were part of the New Year’s resolution crowd (I didn’t recognize many of them), unfamiliar with the club’s wet area, and chose to play it safe. Or maybe starting out, they’re less secure about their bodies. Either way, we’ll see if they stay committed long enough to get nekkid with us regular nude dudes.

p.s. I hate how crowded the gym gets in January!

I felt like I was in bizarro world soaking in my gym’s whirlpool today. Most of the younger guys were nude, while most of the older guys wore swim suits. My theory is that many of the older guys were part of the New Year’s resolution crowd (I didn’t recognize many of them), unfamiliar with the club’s wet area, and chose to play it safe. Or maybe starting out, they’re less secure about their bodies. Either way, we’ll see if they stay committed long enough to get nekkid with us regular nude dudes.

p.s. I hate how crowded the gym gets in January!

Same at my Y. This is what happened to me the other day:

I notice an uptick in new members at my gym because of the new year. I do find it interesting how they first behave when exposed to guys who are comfortable with nudity around other men. I noticed this yesterday at my Y when I got into the hot tub naked with another guy that was in there in his swimsuit (which tells me he's a new member because everyone uses it nude). He was fairly attractive and in his early 30s. He seemed a little uneasy with the fact that I got in the hot tub naked while he was in there. He also showered in his swimsuit in the open shower which tells me that he's new. He left pretty quickly because I was going between the hot tub, open shower and steam room completely naked. It just so happened that I was the only other guy in there at the time. so he probably didn't realize that my behavior is the norm not the exception at my Y. It will be interesting to see how he and other new members adapt. Some guys can't adapt, so they leave for good in pretty short order. Others do adapt and become regulars.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Same at my Y. This is what happened to me the other day:

I notice an uptick in new members at my gym because of the new year. I do find it interesting how they first behave when exposed to guys who are comfortable with nudity around other men. I noticed this yesterday at my Y when I got into the hot tub naked with another guy that was in there in his swimsuit (which tells me he's a new member because everyone uses it nude). He was fairly attractive and in his early 30s. He seemed a little uneasy with the fact that I got in the hot tub naked while he was in there. He also showered in his swimsuit in the open shower which tells me that he's new. He left pretty quickly because I was going between the hot tub, open shower and steam room completely naked. It just so happened that I was the only other guy in there at the time. so he probably didn't realize that my behavior is the norm not the exception at my Y. It will be interesting to see how he and other new members adapt. Some guys can't adapt, so they leave for good in pretty short order. Others do adapt and become regulars.

This is a critical time to train newbies in the the way of the locker room!

This is a critical time to train newbies in the the way of the locker room!

Absolutely. After awhile, they must start feeling ridiculous for being the only guy in the hot tub and open shower wearing clothing, so they either do as the other guys are doing by getting completely naked or disappear for good. There are plenty of other gyms in the same city that offer ultra privacy if that's what they want. My Y is the only gym left in the city that still has an open shower and nude hot tub. They must have noticed this when signing up. I think most of them are trying to get over themselves, but sometimes they just can't, or they do slowly in baby steps.

svrocks

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to be self-conscious in the locker room, but the more often I go the more I realise that there are men of all shapes and sizes. No, I don't have a perfectly sculpted body. Far from it actually. I'm very average. I only exercise enough to keep fairly healthy. I used to think it was not okay to show my naked self because I was not built like a Greek god.

I'm okay with being naked in the locker room now. There's still that part of me that's pretty self-conscious when some really muscular guys are around but as far as I know they don't seem to care so I figure neither should I. Besides, I'm only naked for a fraction of the time anyway, when I'm drying off and changing.

AdamFin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I used to be self-conscious in the locker room, but the more often I go the more I realise that there are men of all shapes and sizes. No, I don't have a perfectly sculpted body. Far from it actually. I'm very average. I only exercise enough to keep fairly healthy. I used to think it was not okay to show my naked self because I was not built like a Greek god.

I'm okay with being naked in the locker room now. There's still that part of me that's pretty self-conscious when some really muscular guys are around but as far as I know they don't seem to care so I figure neither should I. Besides, I'm only naked for a fraction of the time anyway, when I'm drying off and changing.

I regularly see nude Greek Gods and men who are literally nearly round. Nobody looks worse naked. A fat naked dude is a fat clothed dude... I don’t judge anybody. But nor do I lie for anybody. A naked man equals a man who is not lying about who he is physically. The pure honesty of being naked is liberating. And fuck the judgmental liars who disparage a dude for being who he is.

whitehorseboy1

Expert Member
Media
Charlotte (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
High school was my first experience with a communal shower, and I wasn't able to fully appreciate it then. I was still very insecure about my penis being so freakishly large. But once I started going to the gym my junior year of high school and showering with a range of full grown men, I started to realize how blessed and revered having a huge cock could make me. I took every chance I got to strut around the locker room in the buff, my magnificent meat slapping between my knees.

OnlyChild

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I entered gym when i was in my 20s already. Not in HS or UNi, because i was never athletic (i regret that i swear).

Anyway, ever since, never been shy of getting naked in front of guys. Its just my chest my dick my ass, thats all. Nothing to be embarrassed about. Im a grower too. Oh i had an experience i got hard, but its alright. My buddy just commented, "chill bro!! No need to get angry!" I just punched him, we laughed. Hahaha

Why am i not not embarrassed? I dont know. Its guys locker, so its known fact guys would get naked there - gay or straight. Actually, i like it im naked, its like i can be my full self, no pretensions. In japan, the onsen is very widely known. Guys of all ages, of all social status would go there. They would even use onsen to talk about business and negotiations as well. They say, in onsen, everyone is equal.

Nudity? Its alrigtt! Its part of life.

OnlyChild

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh! Would def use slippers around showers. I dont like the floors - so much unknown things there.

Oh, also had experience, some guy, prob 30s.. masturbating in front of shower. Hes not facing anyone, just the wall. So, just let him be. mind my own business. I just showered 3-4 heads away from him.

Thckck

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just came from the gym and showered there. Guys are still very shy. They make sure the shower curtain is closed shut, they make sure to go to a lonely corner in the locker room to change or change inside the shower. I on the other hand strip naked and get inside the shower. I out of respect to the others close the curtain but not to the degree that i make it a big deal to make sure its closed shut. haha but I guess those guys are still too shy.

Jujurice

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
give the guys time, if they adapt they are growing a new kind of self confidence which takes time just be the example not the reason for a towel dance, I recently switched gyms and i see some special stuff extreme towel dancing (hard to explain, think about getting dressed in a bathrobe length towel), shower changers, Toilet stall changers (some of these guys are 40+) & then there is me and the 60+ plus crowd with our dicks out.

Reactions: RL_Praha