Overcoming Insecurities & Initiating Contact

D_Hank_E_Hanabata

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Evening LPSG,

Tonight I would like to wrack a few brains and bring up a subject that most people would likely be interested to see discussed.

So there you are sitting at work/school, wondering why the hell it is that you are still single and/or you don't have a black book of potential interests, whether purely social or sexual in nature. I realize this doesn't apply to all people, but it is very likely that even the most charismatically gifted and "life of the party" individuals have even been here once. By the way, you people are bastards having been born with it. I'm not mad.

Since this site is primarily the exhibitionists outlet, I can venture to say that most of us have thought at one time "I have a nice sized package, shouldn't that be enough to grant me all of my desired partners?" I also happen to believe that this does indeed attribute to part of our confidence, and that sites like these DO indeed raise self-esteem (in my short time here I have noticed the overwhelming majority of posters are positive; however I can also see how it causes expectations to increase as well) and are quite therapeutic for some.

So the question remains: "What gives?!" Why the hell can't I just walk up to that absolutely gorgeous guy/gal that works at Quizno's and ask him/her out and have them respond favorably? I'm a rational guy, I realize that I will likely will not die if and when I just approach them. The fear of rejection is very prevalent in me and I suspect many others.

So, if you gurus have any tips, you curious ones have any questions or you optimists/cynics have other elaborations, please feel free to contribute. We're gonna figure this out and hopefully get some confidence rolling for the "not-so-blessed" in this department.

SeeDickRun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a friend who is perhaps the most forward guy I know. He's not physically attractive, although he has a decent package. He's gay, a little overweight, not particularly handsome, but not shy about anything. His favorite expression is "The shy guy gets none." He lives by that. He'll walk up to the most handsome stud in the room, (assuming this stud wants him), strike up a conversation, and invite the stud home with him. It's amazing that sometimes it works. Not always, but often enough that it continues to encourage him. The key is that he's not afraid of rejection.

He may be the extreme case. But, I've found personally that most guys are polite enough to return an opening, especially if they aren't surrounded by a group of friends, and if you aren't interrupting something that they're doing. Just look for an opening, take a deep breath, screw up your courage, tell yourself that rejection's not the end of the world, and give it a shot. Walk up to someone, introduce yourself, say something pleasant, (not something like, damn you've got a hot package), and see what happens.

It can't hurt, especially if you convince yourself that rejection by a stranger isn't rejection at all... it's just the other person being a little rude.

Good luck.

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes, You must present yourself to get action.

If someone turns you down they will never know what they missed.

Life is a lot like fishing for fish. Some get hooked and some simply swim away.

You need to take chances to achieve your goals.

D_9998

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've always said the confident average guy gets more women than the really hot shy guy. It's true, I used to have this problem too. Now the best thing I can say is just stop caring....especially what other people think. There is a billion women out there what's going to happen if one says no. They probably won't remember you for long either if they turn you down so go for it. I would rather be turned down than to look back on the one I didn't try and always wonder if I could have had her. Find one that fits your style and just go for it your only young once don't waste this time of your life being shy and insecure your not doing anyone a favour especially yourself.

pinkpineapples

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have this problem. I gathered up enough courage to ask a guy out at the gym, he was straight and married, of course. I've not been able to muster up such courage again. Partly because it was hard enough the first time, I was rejected, and I would like to be chased for once in my life. I hate being the chaser who always ends up falling for the straight guy.

I don't do the gay bar/club scene, its all sex and I want more than that. So just finding someone of likemindedness (word? maybe? ADDED to Webster) is difficult. Le Sigh.

luvmycock

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is something that I myself have dealt with. Honestly the best thing to do is to not give a fuck and just go for what you want. I know it sounds a tad trite but it is true. A closed mouth never gets fed, so the best thing to do is to strike up a convo. Sometimes it will work in your favor and sometimes it won't but all that matters is that you tried and gave it your best shot.

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Live like you were dying.

You'll realize how fear robs you of life experience and joy.

That's exactly what I try to do. Squeeze as much as I can out of every day.
Last year when I was in danger of dying, I had not one regret.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The reason you do not have a 'black book' is that you are not an opportunistic twat. Bad thing to judge yourself on.

Get into the habit of making small talk with clerks and strangers in queue and similar. It counts as social contact and can lead to more. And that includes the hot guys and gals without pressuring them, or you either. It's just 'social muscles' you learn to flex. My autistic son has to work consciously on it, and so do I do a lesser extent as I am a bit shy by nature and history. But it gets easier. So what if some people are more natural at it?

Even when I am feeling low, having exchanged a little smirk with a cashier at the grocery can feel like welcome medicament, to be recalled with gratitude...

Black books are for predators. Ugh.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A line or two of coke will take the edge off. Obviously not the best advice or the right way of doing things but it can help sometimes.

SR_CriaMiaRiver

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sometimes, its in your genetics. In some cases' such as myself. I suffer from strong signs of schizophrenia and depression, and selective mutism. Unless someone talks to me first. i will not initiate contact.