Overhyped books / movies / music?

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT gave me a headache.

Stephen King is overrated. His next novel in "kill all of the trees" campaign has 1,000 pages. You can wait a couple of weeks and pick them up at goodwill. He recently complained in his ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY column about bad books. I guess He doesn't have a mirror in his house.

Dan Brown's three books could be listed as one narrative, but there are so many "ifs', buts' and maybes' and scattered "clues" and "supposes" that there's no logic or reason to any of it.

THE ROLLING STONES are overrated.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Napoleon Dynamite. I heard it was the greatest movie out there and there was all this hype and everyone was wearing the vote for pedro shirts and quoting lines in the movie then I watched it. I thought my brain went to sleep. I felt like I was losing brain matter right there and then. I still want that 90 mins back of my life.

I fell asleep watching THE MATRIX on the big screen. As philosophy or "extended thinking", it had only a dime's worth of knowledge in a field filled with pots of cash. Keanu Reeves needs to play Buster Keaton.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I also couldn't stand Slumdog Millionaire. Extremely overhyped.

Gonna throw in The Dark Knight into the ring here, too. I've never seen a film so unexceptional get so much damn hype and praise. Granted, it was very entertaining, but seriously not Best Picture-worthy. For one, the movie was too long, and secondly the ending was completely rushed, which may or may not have had to do with Ledger's death, but the movie would've been much better if they hadn't tried to cram Two-Face's sub-plot into the film. I liked the movie, just not as much as everyone else.

The Usual Suspects is another. I loved it, but I didn't think it was mind-blowing.

Oh, agreed, the Rolling Stones are overrated.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I fell asleep watching THE MATRIX on the big screen. As philosophy or "extended thinking", it had only a dime's worth of knowledge in a field filled with pots of cash. Keanu Reeves needs to play Buster Keaton.
OMG!!!!!!!!
I fell asleep too!

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I fell asleep watching THE MATRIX on the big screen. As philosophy or "extended thinking", it had only a dime's worth of knowledge in a field filled with pots of cash. Keanu Reeves needs to quit acting.
Fixed that for you.

B_Dustydo

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Blair Witch Project - They could have condensed this monumental snore fest down to 15 mins and it would have still been the pits.

Twilight- You know your generation has failed utterly when Vampires sparkle.

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I read the Time Travelers Wife and couldn't bear to finish it, as it was pure CRAP! Ive actually read too many books to list that I didn't care enough to finish. Mostly Oprah's bookclub type books (We Were the Mulvaneys)

Movies..The English Patient was awful, Moulin Rouge was unbearable and I didnt care for the Lord of the Rings.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Most Anne Rice books.....especially Violin....that was terrible. Everyone should burn that copy for good. That was Anne Rice's self-indulgence at its very worst. When I mean, self-indulgence and endless description....you are in for a hell of a strugggle with this read.

Last edited:

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Don't even mention Twilight. How that movie ever brought popularity is beyond my imagination. That movie was just Dawson's Creek with vampires. A big ol' teen soap opera in the vain of 90201 and Melrose Place.

Media
Most Anne Rice books.....especially Violin....that was terrible. Everyone should burn that copy for good. That was Anne Rice's self-indulgence at its very worst. When I mean, self-indulgence and endless description....you are in for a hell of a strugggle with this read.
i would agree with that in a way. I thought it all went downhill with the many vampire bio novels i mean do we care about armand's life??

D_Butt_Abbott

Sexy Member
Media
There Will Be Blood. How did this movie earn so much critical praise? It was amateurish, badly acted and just plain boring. Didn't have a story to tell.

Another movie I couldn't stand was Superbad. That's exactly what it was. Sick, offensive, unfunny.

But let's cut to the good part. The #2 most overhyped movie of all time: Hulk (2003). So many product tie-ins. Hulk toothpaste, Hulk crackers, Hulk Oreos and hundreds of other products colored green to generate interest. Only one other movie surpassed it in hype, and I don't think anything has generated more hype than...

The #1 most overhyped movie of all time. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Inglourious Basterds or Kill Bill Vol. 1 or 2 comes to mind. How did Tarantino ever got recognized for his achievments is beyond my understanding. His film are all the same...blood, gore, endless nonsense, bogus acting, story(what story??!?),....bah...his film are same ol'-same 'ol and this guy gets credit from Hollywood guys for creating the most genius films since Titanic. Gee, I hope not.

And don't get me started on the new version of Fame. It's a 2009 Disneyized version of it.....living out all the elements that made the original a classic of its own.

Last edited:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Books: DaVinci Code and i'm sure we'll be able to say the same for Sarah Palin's new book when it's released.

Movies: Babel. *shivers*

Music: Nickelback. John Mayer. Amy Winehouse. Kanye West. And if I hear never hear that Beyonce video (you know which one i'm talking about) it'll be too soon. Makes me want to jab something sharp in my eye. Repeatedly.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There Will Be Blood. How did this movie earn so much critical praise? It was amateurish, badly acted and just plain boring. Didn't have a story to tell.

I'm with that. The movie was nothing like the critical acclaim it received.

But my worst film? Easy. It's another one that received critical praise that I considered awful: Beloved. I mean, I failed to see the point of filming Oprah Winfrey squatting down to take a piss in the bushes.

And books? Glad you asked.

That would be Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. God, what a pompous POS that was.