Overweight Women Cool? Overweight Men Taboo?

D_exal555

Just Browsing
Media
As a chubby but healthy guy (40 inch waist) I've always felt that everyone should be healthier, but also respected. Often overweight people are looked down upon simply because of vanity, suerficiality, and cruel judgementalism.

That being said, I think it's also true that the old idea that it's more acceptable for men to be overweight than women has long passed from our society.

1) Can you imagine Lifetime's new show "How to Look Good Naked" telling fat men to glorify their bodies? I can't.....

2) Why is it that department stores offer sizes for enormous women, but men my size must usually shop at a big and fat store?

Any thoughts would be appreicated

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Uh... since when did department stores carry sizes for "enormous women"? And what do you consider "enormous"? I'm a big girl, but I have to shop at Lane Bryant or Catherine's usually. WalMart does carry some things in my size, but very little... and most of what they have is ugly as fuck. But, WalMart also carry mens sizes in the plus range.

ThisSpace4Rent

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Department stores will generally just stock the sizes they think have a good chance of selling.

They're businesses, and they want your money, so chances are if they're not stocking your size it's because past experience has shown them they lose money when they do (or alternatively, that they make more money by stocking more varieties of more common sizes).

I sometimes buy shirts at the big and tall store because the sleeves fit better (and they have a better selection of socks). I dunno what the big deal is.

And lifetime is billed as "Television for women". I don't know of any men's shows that revolve around naked appearance, regardless of weight.

And I see 40 and 42 inch waists at the store all the time (I wear a 38). What stores are you going to that you're not finding them?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually, I don't think most clothing stores for women have a clue. You'd think they'd want to make more money, but really, if they wanted to do that they should carry more sizes for the "average" woman (sizes 12-18) rather than have all these size 0's and 2's! I guess most of their marketing is to anorexic 15 year old girls.

I figure that Lane Bryant is doing very, very well financially, though. And the smaller ends of the sizes they carry are not really "huge". They are more "average" (sizes 14 and 16). Avenue is another store that is similar to Lane Bryant, with a similar size range starting with "average" sizes...

ThisSpace4Rent

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ever notice with popular shoes that the only sizes left on the shelves after they've been picked over are the large and the small ones?

Because the other possibility is that they are stocking your average size (and lots of them) and they're just the ones most likely to sell out. Back when I was younger I had a retail job at a shoe store and that was always the case.

I never shop for women's clothes, so that's entirely conjecture on my part (ie: not saying you're wrong, just giving a possibility maybe you hadn't considered).

D_exal555

Just Browsing
Media
My experience is that Size 40 waists sell out quickly. Stores do not stock enough.

I think the Fashion Industry is run by superficial gay and straight men and women who won't make clothes for larger men because they can't stand the idea. Remember Karl Lagerfeld's comment that he didn't want large people to wear his clothes.

Macy's only sells pants up to a 40 waist, but women's clothes up to a size 24, which i believe would be the equivalent of about a 60 size waist on a man

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I thought the Bear Culture was all about men glorying in their overweight, hairy bodies. Or is that just too queer for the OP?

ThisSpace4Rent

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My experience is that Size 40 waists sell out quickly. Stores do not stock enough.

I think the Fashion Industry is run by superficial gay and straight men and women who won't make clothes for larger men because they can't stand the idea. Remember Karl Lagerfeld's comment that he didn't want large people to wear his clothes.

Macy's only sells pants up to a 40 waist, but women's clothes up to a size 24, which i believe would be the equivalent of about a 60 size waist on a man

Do you consistently fit the same size in pants? Because I just checked Macy's online website and they stock them well past a size 40 online at least.

Could you find the styles you like in the store, and then purchase them online? You wouldn't be able to try them on first is the downside (which would be important for dress clothes I imagine, not so much for jeans and the like).

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ever notice with popular shoes that the only sizes left on the shelves after they've been picked over are the large and the small ones?

Because the other possibility is that they are stocking your average size (and lots of them) and they're just the ones most likely to sell out. Back when I was younger I had a retail job at a shoe store and that was always the case.

I never shop for women's clothes, so that's entirely conjecture on my part (ie: not saying you're wrong, just giving a possibility maybe you hadn't considered).

Actually, I do consider that possibility, but there are many, many stores that don't even carry any sizes larger than a 12! And on some designer sites (like I could afford those anyway :rolleyes:), they only go up to about an 8! In stores with a variety of sizes, they often don't have my size because I wear about the same size as a whole bunch of other women out there, and my size is the first to sell out, or one of the first.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Uh... since when did department stores carry sizes for "enormous women"? And what do you consider "enormous"? I'm a big girl, but I have to shop at Lane Bryant or Catherine's usually. WalMart does carry some things in my size, but very little... and most of what they have is ugly as fuck. But, WalMart also carry mens sizes in the plus range.
Wal-Mart's clothes are poorly made and likely to fall apart after 2-3 washings.:mad: Try Target for more fashionable yet inexpensive plus sizes.

I dont know where you got the idea that its "cool" for women to be overweight...
Nor do I!

Overweight Women Cool? Overweight Men Taboo?
As a chubby but healthy guy (40 inch waist) I've always felt that everyone should be healthier, but also respected. Often overweight people are looked down upon simply because of vanity, suerficiality, and cruel judgementalism.

That being said, I think it's also true that the old idea that it's more acceptable for men to be overweight than women has long passed from our society.

1) Can you imagine Lifetime's new show "How to Look Good Naked" telling fat men to glorify their bodies? I can't..... That's because fat men are more acceptable than fat women :rolleyes: :duh:

2) Why is it that department stores offer sizes for enormous women, but men my size must usually shop at a big and fat store? Any thoughts would be appreicated.

I think perhaps what you see as enormous is a standard plus size (16-26). Having worked in retail management for many years I can tell you that display space is at a premium. We cannot possibly stock every size known to man! That's why the internet and catalogs have become so popular.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

1) Can you imagine Lifetime's new show "How to Look Good Naked" telling fat men to glorify their bodies? I can't.....

2) Why is it that department stores offer sizes for enormous women, but men my size must usually shop at a big and fat store?

Any thoughts would be appreicated

A people aren't looked down upon b/c they're fat...it's b/c when people look at them they see wha's in their near future..heart attacks, diabetes and it makes you feel bad for them. Just like smokers. yeah I'm one but getting over it.
B I can imagine How to Look Good Naked for men b/c it's tv and it's prob only a matter of months till that appears on tv.
DO some sit ups, lose some weight and be happy. millions of people do it everyday.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think in general women's weight is made much more a deal of than men's, which is why we see some of this "backlash" from TV shows on Lifetime to stores like Lane Bryant actually using models who fit into their clothing. I personally know men who are fat-- and I don't mean 10 or even 20 pounds overweight-- who don't really care about their weight and/or don't see themselves as heavy as they are. I think we tolerate more variety in mens' shapes and sizes than women's. This is changing and now men are under more scrutiny than ever, but still not as much as women.

As far as clothing, my husband was a 40 about a year ago and we never had trouble finding clothing for him in stores. I've seen 42s and 44s in stores regularly, and sometimes up to 50.

Clothing is marketed to those who will spend the most money on it, and from what I can tell, young, image conscious women buy the most clothing (and tend to be thinner) and men in general buy less and have fewer choices in fashion. I run into this with my son and husband both-- a store like Old Navy, for example, is 75% clothing for females and 25% for males. I think this is because men simply buy less. I would also think that men who are larger care even less about clothing than most men do, and that stocking a lot of larger sizes doesn't make money.

With all that said, it is nearly impossible to shop at most stores if you're a woman over a size 14 or 16. Last year I was a size 22, and I had the choice of shopping in miniscule plus size departments or a few specialty stores like Lane Bryant. I celebrated when I hit a size 16 because I could suddenly buy clothing at most stores. As for a comparison, I'd say a size 16 and a size 40 are about equivalent between men and women. Those are both sizes where a lot of stores stop stocking clothing.

I used to get really annoyed because I felt that clothing manufacturers thought that fat women all want to look ugly or don't care about their appearance. If you look around, though, it's kind of true. I know for myself going into a fitting room and trying on clothing was a nightmare because I had to look in a mirror and be reminded of how fat I was. I simply didn't want to deal with my appearance, and I think most women in larger sizes feel the same way-- so they buy less and want to spend less. There's also a feeling among some women who are plus-size that they are going to take off the weightso they only buy what they feel they need. Some of the more moderately priced stores like Old Navy, Wal-Mart, Target, and Kohl's carry extended and larger sizes because I imagine some market research has found that women in a size 18 are less likely to pay $80 for a pair of jeans than a woman who is a size 6. So, even though size 16 is average, I think most women at that size don't buy a lot of clothing which is why it's harder to find.

I wished it wasn't the case when I was in plus size clothing, but people who see themselves as fat (which most average women do) just don't feel good about themselves so they don't spend as much money on looking good because it feels futile. After all, fat equals ugly in our society. It sucks. But I think it's why it's hard to find clothing if you're a size 14-16 or up. I think it's similar for men except that men in general buy less clothing than women.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Great post, Snoozan.

ANd don't forget, it goes the other way too. I have to shop at teenage stores or cheap discount stores to find skirts and pants that fit me. Most stores don't carry designer clothes for women my size.

And holy crapola -- do you know how hard it is to find clothes to fit my 13 y/o boy? Almost NOWHERE do they stock his size. (29")

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am in that "size 14-16" category (in other words, "average"), and sometimes I have a hard time finding clothes to fit. Also, I'm short, so I wear a 14-16 petite. That makes it doubly hard to find.

Thing is, I really do like nice, flattering clothes. I used to be very slim, as a teenager, and I liked clothes then too, but the styles were different then (mid to late 70s and early 80s). I never really noticed if it was hard to find clothes in size 14-16 then because it didn't apply to me. However, even at 5'2" and 94 lbs. I wore a size 8. Most women that height and weight would probably be a size 0. I hadn't heard of size 0 back then (or now, they have size 00, for the ones that the size 0 is too big on! :eek:), but I was not the smallest size in the stores, even at 94 lbs.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Great post, Snoozan.

Thanks muchly, milady!

ANd don't forget, it goes the other way too. I have to shop at teenage stores or cheap discount stores to find skirts and pants that fit me. Most stores don't carry designer clothes for women my size.

Right, because in general women who spend the most money per piece of clothing aren't teenagers who tend to be smaller than adult women, so more expensive designers market towards the 4-6-8 range. If you're on either end of the spectrum, you're going to have more trouble finding clothing to fit you.

And holy crapola -- do you know how hard it is to find clothes to fit my 13 y/o boy? Almost NOWHERE do they stock his size. (29")

I can only imagine. My son is only 2 1/2 but finding pants for him is impossible. He is very tall and very skinny. In his waist he's 18 months, but his inseam is a 3T. Thank God for adjustable waists. I even have a friend who sews making him some pants that will actually fit him.

Another fit problem I have a lot is length. I am relatively tall, and though it's pretty easy to find tall pants for women, it's impossible to find tall skirts, so even though I love long skirts, they always are too short and look ridiculous. I'm also long waisted and have the worst time finding shirts that are long enough and have long enough sleeves. At least men get more than on or two inseam lengths.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ill have sex with Overweight Women ones I get it in there Ill forget how fat she is.
Haha! I am a size 16 and this reminds me of something my ex always said about the difference between me and smaller women; that the only noticeable difference was the heat, he couldn't go long because I was unusually hot. But, other than that, everything else was the same.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bummer! And they have all these "sturdy" sizes for little boys now. It's like there's almost nothing for slim kids. But in a year or two you should be OK... until he's 12 or 13... and then watch out.

The average female height is 5'4" -- so if you're an average weight but taller, I can see how it could be a problem because there is very little difference in the LENGTH of anything.

Have you ever tried shopping online for taller sizes? This website has some yummy looking clothes that might not look like highwater pants on you! I have no idea what the quality is like, but they have some cool sales going on.