Owen Wilson

Christiaan

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What's the story on this lad? The news is saying he tried to off himself. He's awfully cute. Seems like he's straight - or maybe that's just a beard and he's gay.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hard part about being Owen Wilson is he is Hollywood A List now. There is a lot of pressure when you have that title. You pretty much have no private life and when your ex-girlfriend (Kate Hudson) is also Hollywood A List, it's triple the issue. Paparazzi stalking you, fans constantly around everywhere you go, don't even try dating. When we lived in L.A., we saw stars all the time, but we never did the "CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH?" thing because my parents taught us they have a private life too. Let them pick up the gallon of milk and the box of Kotex in peace.

The poor guy is under the magnifying glass 24-7, he has to hear about his former gf dating someone new via the tabloids. If he did try to commit suicide, who couldn't understand why? I truly hope it was a mistake. I hope the guy wasn't addicted and using something that did this to him. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery to one of the players in the Hollywood game who, by all reports, is a genuinely nice guy.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think that his suicide attempt was based on some personal issues and didn't really have anything to do with his fame. He's been A-list for quite some time, so I don't think that there was any addded pressure that he'd have to deal with.

Maybe someone mistook him for being gay and it totally flipped his wig.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*Looks around*

Who? Me?:biggrin1:

Yep, you are the man!!

But for the OP, here's an article...

quote:

Yes, stars like Owen Wilson can hurt, too

Shouldn't Owen Wilson be immune to misery?

He's a movie star in the prime of his career. He dates beautiful women. He has bags of money. He's the epitome of the life so many people would give their left arm for.

So why -- assuming the reports coming from the Associated Press, the National Enquirer, and Celeb.TV.com are accurate -- would he want to kill himself?

Doesn't this guy, adored by the masses with a dream life, have way too much to live for?

I don't know. And neither do you. Only one person does.

On Sunday, Wilson apparently tried to commit suicide at his home in Santa Monica. The Associated Press reported Tuesday that Santa Monica Police logs indicate the call to Wilson's home was for a suicide attempt. He was listed in good condition at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles Monday; no updates were offered on Tuesday. His family and spokesman have declined to comment, citing Wilson's request for privacy.

All of this will prompt a giant, collective public head scratching over why someone with talent, money and fame would slash both wrists and take a belly full of pills (as reported by the National Enquirer on Monday).

All the analysis will be for naught. Because the only person who knows is Owen Wilson.

Which is important to keep in mind. In our everyday dream world, good looks, hot girlfriends, great movie roles and fat paychecks are the ingredients of happiness. But even if a person seems to have all that, no one knows what else is at work, bubbling under the surface. Success and happiness are ever-shifting, and personal, concepts.

Assuming it's true, only Owen Wilson knows the level of pain that pushed him to try taking his own life. Therefore, it's extremely difficult to pass judgment.

If anything, Wilson deserves our sympathy for feeling so barren that suicide becomes a real option.

This is different than scrutinizing a celebrity's public behavior, which is and always should be fair game. Public figures who put themselves in that position forfeit many of the same privacy protections the rest of us enjoy. It's called the price of fame.

But this was a private act by a man, we can only assume, was suffering intensely.

When Kurt Cobain killed himself, I took it extremely personally. I wrote a column for my college newspaper, calling Cobain selfish and acted as if he'd personally insulted me. As a fan, I would no longer have his new music. He had fame, money and talent that 99.9 percent of us could never even imagine.

How someone with so many gifts could blow them into the abyss with a shotgun was unfathomable to me.

Exactly. Because, quite simply, I didn't live in the guy's head. I didn't know, and I was wrong. Just like so many people will get it wrong while delving too deeply into what went wrong with Owen Wilson.

A few years back, an old high school girlfriend of mine e-mailed me out of the blue. She'd noticed I wrote for the paper and re-established contact through e-mail for a spell. She described a happy life, with a husband she loved and kids she adored. She was beautiful, warm, and seemingly had everything she wanted. I was happy that she'd found such a satisfying life.

Then, probably a month after we last e-mailed, she took a gun and ended her life.

I didn't get it. But that's just it -- what we see on the outside has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening in someone's brain and heart. And if we can be so shocked by people we know, why should we try to understand when it's someone we only know through movies, Web sites and tabloids?

It might even be surprising this doesn't happen more often. Perhaps never in pop culture history have celebrities been so scrutinized, and looked so miserable in the process. The wild and sometimes embarrassing life has always been a component of Hollywood. And sometimes -- as demonstrated by the recent conga line to rehab centers and courtrooms -- the process itself is too much for the participants.

Which may have nothing to do with Owen Wilson. He's hardly a tabloid target on par with the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, and even David Hasselhoff, a semi has-been whose public (and even private) bout with alcoholism is documented at every turn.

All of Wilson's gifts apparently weren't enough to make him want to keep living, if the reports are true. It's very strange. But then again, you'd have to be Owen Wilson to understand.

Tony Hicks is the Times' pop culture critic. Reach him at 925-952-2678 or thicks@bayareanewsgroup.com. Read his blog, "Insert Foot," on ContraCostaTimes.com

unquote

Reactions: josmett

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What's the story on this lad? The news is saying he tried to off himself. He's awfully cute. Seems like he's straight - or maybe that's just a beard and he's gay.

You'd be surprised at how many good looking, intelligent people commit suicide everyday. Obviously Owen Wilson is fighting serious, inner demons. While he is no Olivier, I like mosty of his stuff, and hope he is able get the help he needs to pull through this okay.

On a lighter, more sexual, note rumor has it he used to go by the name butterscotch cowboy because he was so fond of rimming womens bottoms. :wink: :tongue:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think that his suicide attempt was based on some personal issues and didn't really have anything to do with his fame. He's been A-list for quite some time, so I don't think that there was any addded pressure that he'd have to deal with.

Maybe someone mistook him for being gay and it totally flipped his wig.

You really think something as small as that could do it? Maybe I'm just secure in myself that if someone thinks that, I would laugh. I just don't get it I guess.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
According to the Hollywood rumor mill he was despondent over his breakup with Kate Hudson. Apparently he was head over heels and wanted to marry her and she just wanted to hang out and have fun. Broken hearts have led to many a funeral unfortunately. Then again since I don't know him personally; he may have been depressed about something completely different, it's all conjecture at this point.:confused:

a200611713

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Genuine depression is an illness. Sadly it is often found in creative people like actors and artists.

It would be no great suprise is Owen was diagnosed "depressed" or even "manic depressive"

There are treatments available but for most men suffering depression - admitting there is a problem is the first almost impossible step. Even someone who has so much to live for can feel that the only possible solution to depression would be to remove oneself from the planet!

It took a suicide attempt (long story) before I admitted I had a problem. I hope Owen's family help him as much as mine helped me.

I feel for the guy.

a200611713

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
By the way - Tom Cruise's (and the scientologist) stance on depression and associated illnesses does not help matters. Tom is setting him self up for a big dose of Karmic depression that he won't recognise as illness.

lacuna22

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Genuine depression is an illness. Sadly it is often found in creative people like actors and artists.

It would be no great suprise is Owen was diagnosed "depressed" or even "manic depressive"

There are treatments available but for most men suffering depression - admitting there is a problem is the first almost impossible step. Even someone who has so much to live for can feel that the only possible solution to depression would be to remove oneself from the planet!

It took a suicide attempt (long story) before I admitted I had a problem. I hope Owen's family help him as much as mine helped me.

I feel for the guy.

thank you for this post. i've suffered from dystimic depression since childhood, and it took the same for me to realize i couldn't 'control' what was happening to me. the response to the news about owen has been interesting - the minute i heard it, i felt pangs of recognition and empathy. it's surprising and encouraging that, mostly, the media has acknowledged the likely complexity of his situation and not reduced it to soundbites.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have long been a fan of Owen Wilson! I like men with imperfect or bumps on their noses. That was never an issue for me. I was even more intrigued and besotted when I found out his nickname is the Butterscotch Cowboy. :wink::cool: