Paid Health Benefits aren't guaranteed

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I don't understand the blanket ruling in this case at all:

Spherion's decision to deny benefits to Amschwand-Bellinger turned on an odd set of facts. Spherion, which employs about 300,000 people, switched insurers after Thomas Amschwand was diagnosed with a rare form of heart cancer. The new policy did not take effect until an employee worked one full day. Spherion never informed Amschwand of the requirement.
Amschwand asked repeatedly whether there was anything else he needed to do and was told no. He asked that the new policy be sent to him. Spherion never did so.
He died without returning to work. His widow said he easily could have worked a day if that was what it took to activate the new policy. Spherion could have waived the one-day-of-work provision, as it did for other employees but not for Amschwand.

That is the widow's side of the story but I assume she has some evidence of it. It looks like the company was intentionally ensuring that the policy would be voided.

Seems ridiculous to me...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Large companies denying, contesting or reneging on insurance coverage destabilize and ruin more American families than all the middle eastern terrorists combined.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Our contract house plays the same stunts.

Sometimes you go to the Doctor, or dentist, and Whoops...no coverage.

So you call the insurance company... Before they would tell you "The premiums have not been paid by your employer"

Now, it's "We cannot discuss the details with you"

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Insurance companies are the lowest form of scum-sucking horror known to man.

They will continue with such deadly shenanigans until expressly forbidden so by law or until universal health coverage is considered a right and not a luxury.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Our contract house plays the same stunts.

Sometimes you go to the Doctor, or dentist, and Whoops...no coverage.

So you call the insurance company... Before they would tell you "The premiums have not been paid by your employer"

Now, it's "We cannot discuss the details with you"

I got stuck with a $2000 hospital bill (most of which was bullshit) because my employer was late starting up my plan. I was in the day after my coverage was supposed to start, and they were three days late.

D

deleted15807

Large companies denying, contesting or reneging on insurance coverage destabilize and ruin more American families than all the middle eastern terrorists combined.

Ssssshhhh we can't let the masses know that. They might want socialized medicine then.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

QFT- this is the single greatest threat to Americans' financial futures. ( not to mention their actual futures)

The de-regulation frenzy of the republicans has resulted in the biggest scam of all time...

The idea is simple... EVERYONE will eventually get sick. Those who are not wealthy are the vast majority..,. and their holdings in old age, their pensions, homes, savings etc represent a LOT of money that would normally be passed to their heirs... making their heirs just a tad less poor, enabling families to accrue wealth over enough generations...

Well the rich want that money cause the palty savings of the middle class, taken in aggregatem is a huge sum of money.

Modern health care is designed to divest the aging of their life's saving by any means they can.
Take money form them their whole working life to "cover them" and then, at the end, either deny them coverage, or the costs exceed the coverage to make sure that you squeeze every last cent they have out of them by the time they kick the bucket...
Even better if their heirs are actually left with a huge debt to pay, with interest.

The folks in charge want to make money off of your healthcare... and they want every dime you have.

Folks... its a cash grab, and that's all it is. We need national health care, just like our congressmen and presidents get... guaranteed coverage of ALL costs.

That... or just cut to the chase and hand over all your life's savings to the CEO's of the insurance/medical/pharma industry.