Pain after orgasm

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by honeydew, Jul 28, 2007.

1. honeydew

honeydew New Member

Okay ladies. If any of you have an IUD in, does it cause pain after a strong orgasm? Lately, after oral and a very intense orgasm I will have some pain in the uterus. I am having a checkup soon but wanted to hear from other people who have IUD's

Honeydew

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

As long as it's in the right place it shouldn't but it's not rare for them to shift a little and if they're not in the right position they can cause pain. Do you check your strings every month and do you feel they're not in quite the same place as they were?

3. honeydew

honeydew New Member

SP,

Yes , they seem to be in the right place each week. My Gyn. stated I seem to have a really sensitive uterus. I let her know child birth did not hurt as bad as putting that IUD in. I was just beginning to wonder if anyone else had these issues.

4. Aitch

Aitch New Member

Yes, I do occasionally...similar to period pains. Getting my IUD replaced this week...oh joy.

5. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

When I had my first IUD I was totally unprepared for the pain, the doctor had told me it would be similar to a smear - yes if you're having a smear with a red hot poker. The only pain issue I have with my IUD is that the ovulation pains I've always had from got a little worse afterwards, most recent studies show that the Mirena coil is even more effective than the pill in preventing pregnancy (as long as you make sure to check your strings, a coil can fall out especially recently after insertion) and there are none of the worries about taking the pill. 70% of women who use the Mirena coil will stop having periods so that's a welcome benefit too.

6. Aitch

Aitch New Member

My first Mirena ejected itself within a couple of weeks. Had the joy of having another inserted. However, I think a couple of seconds of pain is worth it, the pros far outweigh the cons for me. My periods all but stopped (yipee!) as did the associated nightmare symptoms, indeed it was the re-emergence of the old PMS that alerted me to the fact that I need a new one after four years...
    Anyway, I've booked myself a day of torture for Thursday, getting my first wax done too. :eek:mfg:

7. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

You're a glutton for punishment aitch :)

But anyone who's considering a coil should seriously think of a Mirena, they're brilliant.

8. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hello, SP -- How often DO you have periods with a Mirena? And is the insertion REALLY that painful? I'd love to have no periods... but if it hurts worse than childbirth...

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

When you go for it they insert a sound to find out the depth of your uterus then they insert the coil through a fine tube, it hurts quite a lot but it's ove r very quickly and it's well worth it as it stays in place for several years in most cases. A coil can be ejected this happens most often in the few days after insertion but it's not likely to happen - in the case of women who got pregnant and insist they had a coil when pregnant this is what usually happened, their coil was ejected and they didn't realise it, so it makes sense to check your strings every month as you're advised to anyway. Childbirth lasts hours, a coil insertion lasts a few minutes so it isn't too bad.

Not all women stop having periods but the literature says about 70% do, and of the 30% whose periods don't stop they usually lighten considerably (in England a Mirena coil is prescribed for heavy periods as well as birth control). I decided last time my coil was changed to go for a mirena although my normal coil had never caused me problems I fancied the idea of possibly having no periods, I was told it was the norm that periods would tail off over 6 months or so but for me my first period after the mirena was about half the normal flow, the month after that it was just spotting and after that no more periods yay.

10. honeydew

honeydew New Member

The reason I recieved the Mirena was because of extremly heavy flow during my periods. I had to miss work a couple of times and that was enough of that. I had spotting for about two weeks after insertion(which can be normal) and after two periods(much lighter flow) I only have a slightly colored discharge once in awhile. If this had not worked an oblation or hysterectomy was next. The great thing is insurance paid for all except a fifty dollar co-pay since I medically needed it instead of just for birth control.:smile:
    Aitch, let me know how your procedure goes. that way I will have an idea for the next one I get in. Good luck.

11. Aitch

Aitch New Member

Re: Periods. Obviously everyone is different. I continued to have occasional periods for about 9 months but they were MUCH lighter (panty liner light, not even requiring a tampon or a pad) and then they more or less stopped altogether.
    Re: Insertion. I'd be lying if I said that insertion was painless (it's a stabbing type pain). It was however, over in seconds (for me, like I said, everyone is different).

Mirena is also recommended for ageing biddies like me who are heading for menopause because of the hormone content. And boy, do I ever know that mine is all out of hormones! :34: Hence the replacement on Tues. Fingers crossed, normal service will be resumed again very quickly!!!!

12. Aitch

Aitch New Member

So, off I trot to see the gynaecologist this morning expecting to have my existing coil removed & a new one fitted...

No such luck. New government guidelines mean that the gynaecologist is NOT ALLOWED to do the procedure, all he can do is refer me to a Family Planning Clinic in the next town. So, I now have to wait for another appointment there.
    Effing ridiculous! :soapbox:

It's poor Mr Aitch who I feel sorry for, bless 'im. He's already suffered 5 doses of my monthly madness and now has to suffer more. I wouldnt be surprised if he walks...:worried:

13. honeydew

honeydew New Member

What the H$!!? When did communism ugh, I mean the gov. do this? They can deliver babies, cut out a uterus but can't put in a coil? Wait til I go to have mine replaced. I am gonna raise h$!!!

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

In the Uk we can just go along to the family planning clinic with no appointment and they'll do it then and there.

15. Aitch

Aitch New Member

But I am in the UK! Had my coil inserted by my GP originally and expected the same to happen again but no, I got referred to the gynaecologist and now I have to wait for an appointment at the FPC. I'm not 'appy!

SP, there isn't an FPC in the town where I live...

16. Aitch

Aitch New Member

So today, me being an impatient sorta gal, I rang the FPC to see whether they'd received the referral letter from the gynaecologist only to be informed that rather than being shoved from pillar to post, I could have simply strolled in there & had it done.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mad:

17. Osiris

Gold Member

Ok stupid male butting in.

I seem to recall WAAAAAY back that IUDs were very dangerous, but can't recall why. Have they changed and if so how? I seem to recall they sort of dig into the uteran wall to do their job. They still sound pretty painful to use.

18. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

They're held in place because basically they're to big to exit the cervical os which (apart from when it's recently been opened to insert a coil) is tiny. The mirena isn't marketed as a coil it's marketed as 'an intrauterine system', and I believe that although it hasn't got licensing as such it's used as often to control heavy periods as it is for birth control. When the coil was first out there were a number of people who suffered uterine perforation, and this is still mentioned as one of the extremely rare complications, but this is only likely to happen during insertion and you have to weigh up the benefits against the extremely rare eventuality that it might go wrong, after all the pill, childbirth, depo provero all have their risks. When inserted correctly it is reckoned to be the most effective form of birth control there is, more so than the pill, has the welcome side effect of lightening or eliminating periods and I also just found out that a friend who's taking hrt has had one inserted because in women taking hrt there's an increased likelihood of uterine cancer which the Mirena can help to prevent. For me it was a great choice and I'd recommend it to anyone, and I'm not even getting commission for bigging it up :)

19. Aitch

Aitch New Member

Me three!

Osiris - if you google 'Mirena' you'll see that it's not a metal coil but a flexible plastic device that has a hormone impregnated sheath on it's shaft (guess you dont need to google it now!)...

20. Osiris

Gold Member

Thank you both. I know my wife has been seeking alternate birth control (4 kids is enough for now) and she had been mentioning them. i didn't want to be the caveman husband blindly going off about what I didn't know about and you just happened to have this thread.

Thanks Princess and Aitch. You have made me a more in the know husband. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted