painting loudspeakers ... yeah or nay?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Dunno if this should go here, or in Underwear, Clothing and Appearance Issues. Toss-up.

See, I got these speakers.
Mission 770s.
Old but good ... damn phyne, I say.
But I've painted a lot of my wooden furniture with black melanine paint and I'd like to do the same with the Missions.
They're not looking all that pristine these days.
But I'd also like a nice visual match with the painted furniture ... basically, everything else in the room that's wooden.
The question: Does painting speakers change their sound in any important way?
Anyone have experience here?
Anyone know any of the theory that might give an answer?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
P.S. don't wrap the speakers in underwear, the paint should be fine.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Depends how long we're talkin'... :mischievous:

But I do have a pair of of Klipsch already in black lacquer that I'd sell ya... :smile:

Klipsch? Hmmm. a/s/l?
Actually, what model and year, just for curiosity's sake?

And the Missions are a classic speaker, worthy of respect.
Here's a typical review from someone who picked up a used pair on eBay (really cheaply ... I hates the guy):

Summary:
They don't make them like they used to - and I must say its been a while since i've seen a time-delayed front baffle, a proper horn loaded tweeter, and a grey woodgrain finish! According to the 1987 Mission brochure these speakers were 'state of the art reference monitors', designed for the new generation of digital masters. They are a bit unusual. Apparently HiFi choice (or somesuch) pumped 400 watts into these and they took it (even though they are rated at 100 watts). And I can't recall a speaker before or since with a 'super elliptic horn loaded tweeter', which I must say gives it a very unique sonic character. The advanced (for its day) homopolymer bass driver is also a nice bit of unusual looking precision kit. Its also very responsive. I always fancied a pair of these speakers, and 20 odd years down the line they're sitting in my lounge courtesy of ebay. So, put on one of your CD's and be immediately impressed with the stereo image (which is just amazing), and the smooth, clean sound. Listen to the definition and ultra fast response of that drumbeat; then out of nowhere comes a bass note so deep that you've never heard it before - but its not just the depth, its the musicality and definition of the bass which is awesome. They really don't make them like this anymore - I was recently tempted by a pair of £1000 Linn floorstanders, not anymore.

Strengths:
Stereo image, detail, clarity, smoothness, punch and precision, and the bass. Ultra deep, controlled and tuneful.

Weaknesses:
20 years down the road they are a little fragile - I think I might be on borrowed time with the crossovers and tweeters. Also, the 1980's colour scheme and 'Freedom' graphics on the front are a bit of an anarchic touch - or - a fine example of retro hifi, depending on your perspective.

(Source)

All that said, if I had big bucks right now, I might look for something new.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
haha I read that same review to make sure you weren't about to deface something of substantial value...

My Klipsch kg4's are probably of about the same vintage as your Missions. They're from an era when Klipsch was a prestigious name... they later whored themselves out with mass-marketing and mediocre low-to-mid range products. You didn't walk into Best Buy and buy Klipsch in those days. They've been in their original boxes for a good 10+ years.... displaced long ago by B&W P6's, then B&W Nautilus 802's...

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rubi:

Looked at the photo.

If they were light oak or something like that I'd forbid them being painted.

But they're not.

So I think the black melanine will work just fine and shouldn't affect sound quality.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
.... displaced long ago by B&W P6's, then B&W Nautilus 802's...
Don't even blow in my ear.
I'll lissen to anything you say and follow you anywhere.

Leave 'em be. :cool:
Ah, wisdom from the Old Testament prophetess.:eek:
Nj, I'm a lazy man and may well follow your instructions.

Rubi:
Looked at the photo.
If they were light oak or something like that I'd forbid them being painted.
But they're not.
So I think the black melanine will work just fine and shouldn't affect sound quality.
This is becoming a lopsided poll.
Thanks, speedo.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rubi,
The body of a violin is a major component in projecting the violin's sound. Whereas, the cabinet for a speaker is not meant to serve the same purpose. The size of the inside chamber of the cabinet is important, as is all the baffles inside and the ports on the front. However, the cabinet material itself is usually made out of particle board so it is very heavily damped such that the actual walls of the cabinet have no appreciable resonances.

So painting the cabinet will not affect the sound quality in any detectable way.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Rubi,
The body of a violin is a major component in projecting the violin's sound. Whereas, the cabinet for a speaker is not meant to serve the same purpose. The size of the inside chamber of the cabinet is important, as is all the baffles inside and the ports on the front. However, the cabinet material itself is usually made out of particle board so it is very heavily damped such that the actual walls of the cabinet have no appreciable resonances.

So painting the cabinet will not affect the sound quality in any detectable way.

That is exactly what I suspected, heard from the very person I hoped to hear it from.
Thank you, JA.

You should add flames to the sides so they run better. It's a scientific fact that it works.

Yes. I heard that the Ritual Fire Dance burns red, and the Firebird flies incandescently.
If I had more time, Pendlum, I too could read the peer-reviewed tabloids.
:cool:
Tnx., bro.

:biggrin1: pffffffffffffffffffff............ (that's white noise emanating from my 802's.)

You're a resourceful man, Veep ... but how did you manage that?
Don't they have magnficent power-handling capacity?