painting loudspeakers ... yeah or nay?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
]*SNIP*[/SIZE] Ah, wisdom from the Old Testament prophetess.:eek: Nj, I'm a lazy man and may well follow your instructions. *SNIP*

I should have added that I understand the aesthetic need to have them match your decor. :cool: I just like the look of that particular woodtone. :smile::tongue:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
You're a resourceful man, Veep ... but how did you manage that?
Don't they have magnficent power-handling capacity?
I'm far too lazy to look up the spec, but they're definitely up there. Currently feeding them a modest 250 watts in a bi-wire config. Surprisingly efficient for a huge speaker, really.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I should have added that I understand the aesthetic need to have them match your decor. :cool: I just like the look of that particular woodtone. :smile::tongue:

As do I.
Which is why I never painted them when everything else got melamined.
So now I'm sorta betwixt and between.

I'm far too lazy to look up the spec, but they're definitely up there. Currently feeding them a modest 250 watts in a bi-wire config. Surprisingly efficient for a huge speaker, really.

Well, huge speakers often are efficient.
Klipschorns could run off a generator powered by mosqitoes running on a conveyor belt, if memory serves.

Actually, I must have misunderstood something you said earlier, VeeP.
The white noise you mentioned, I took to mean that the speakers could no longer deliver music.
But that's not what you meant at all.
(BTW, what do you have driving them? Make, model, RMS at specified resistance?)

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would say that adding mass to the outside of a speaker cabinet would be more likely to improve the sound, if anything. It is an insignificant amount of mass.

Painted wood does look awful and Mission uses real wood in their cabinetry. They're not junk.

I say don't paint them because then they will look like painted speakers and people will think, "Why'd you paint over that lovely Mission cabinetry?"

Resist the gay urge to make it all match and let them stand out for the lovely things they are.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Painted wood does look awful and Mission uses real wood in their cabinetry. They're not junk.

I say don't paint them because then they will look like painted speakers and people will think, "Why'd you paint over that lovely Mission cabinetry?"

Resist the gay urge to make it all match and let them stand out for the lovely things they are.

He could construct his own boxes to hold the speakers in, and have those be black.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Well, huge speakers often are efficient.
Klipschorns could run off a generator powered by mosqitoes running on a conveyor belt, if memory serves.
Did you know they're still making Klipschorns? 63 years and counting... :eek:

Actually, I must have misunderstood something you said earlier, VeeP.
The white noise you mentioned, I took to mean that the speakers could no longer deliver music.
But that's not what you meant at all.
Yeah, you couldn't hear me because I was blowing in your ear. :tongue:

(BTW, what do you have driving them? Make, model, RMS at specified resistance?)
Krell KAV-250a's; 250W into 8 ohms, although I believe they're doubling down to 500W into 4 ohms with the bi-wire config. I love an amp with big bull nuts. :smile:

He could construct his own boxes to hold the speakers in, and have those be black.

He could but then that would really effect the sound. I think a lot depends on if Rubi's an audiophile or not.

They look cool! I'd leave em, altho I'm sure they'd look fine black.

Actually - they look similar to (but bigger/better than) my Wharfedale Delta 30:2s (except mine are black, lol).

Last edited by a moderator:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I would say that adding mass to the outside of a speaker cabinet would be more likely to improve the sound, if anything. It is an insignificant amount of mass.

That's really the assumption I entered this discussion with.
But it's good to have so much confirmation.

I don't think wood painted with melamine black looks bad at all. Not like other paints, Jason.

(But you know, now I notice that the speaker cabinetry matches the still exposed arms of my Ikea chair, kiddie corner across the room. Looks just faaaaabulous.)

'Resist the gay urge ...'
Is that all it is?
Ah, shit.

Naw, too much work, Pendlum.
But if I do go the route of painting them in melamine black, they will look like they came in black, expressly built cabinets.

He could but then that would really effect the sound. I think a lot depends on if Rubi's an audiophile or not.

Oh, it would be a great mistake to switch boxes, and rubi knows that, Jason.

Did you know they're still making Klipschorns? 63 years and counting... :eek:

Yes, and they remain perfect for any auditorium-sized living room.:tongue:
(Never actually heard any, though I once heard a knock-off version ... and it was impressive, especially in the bass and midrange.)

Yeah, you couldn't hear me because I was blowing in your ear. :tongue:

So that's why, in this post-shower moment, I have water on the brain.
Tnx, chum.
:biggrin1:

Krell KAV-250a's; 250W into 8 ohms, although I believe they're doubling down to 500W into 4 ohms with the bi-wire config. I love an amp with big bull nuts. :smile:

You should be able to blast the walls out without any strain at all.
The only B & W speakers I ever heard were in a store selling used audiophile equipment.
They were massive, all black, and didn't look at all like the Nautilus.
Driven by a sleek-looking and very sleek-sounding Moon amplifier.
A totally natural sound. The speaker hardly intruded at all. It was amazing.

They look cool! I'd leave em, altho I'm sure they'd look fine black.

Actually - they look similar to (but bigger/better than) my Wharfedale Delta 30:2s (except mine are black, lol).

They're a little the worse for wear, joll.
But maybe, instead of going full-bore for a black finish, I'll just touch them up lightly with the best matching stain ... you know, the top corner of one (slightly abraded in all the moves I've made), and a spot or two on the other.

Actually, I'm astounded at the number and quality of the responses I've gotten.
Thanks to everyone here.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You could always try and put some gorgeous veneer on the sides, all you need is a hobby knife, 320 grit sandpaper, some titebond II glue and a couple of heavy bags of sand. There are some really gorgeous veneers out there for affordable prices plus, you'd have the most unique set of Missions in the world. Most speakers are covered in veneer anyway.

Actually, if you want a really cheapo Joll-style effect. You can drag a comb down them after you've painted em, to give them a crappy fake-grain effect. ;) Or not.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Actually, if you want a really cheapo Joll-style effect. You can drag a comb down them after you've painted em, to give them a crappy fake-grain effect. ;) Or not.
NOT :rolleyes: :tongue:

Rubi I have a pair of the Mission 770's in Canada. Wonderful sound and they blew away B&W speakers back in the day. I replaced the cones in 1999. I wish I had them at this house where I've have some kind of Sony Home "The.Ate.Her" system which just looks like shit.

Paint them if you want. The enclosures are particleboard with veneer so the sound will not be affected. If the veneer is damaged it's kind of hard to fix it so it's perfect.

You can always send them to us to be recovered with a nice veneer when your interior decorating sense matures and you are sick of black! :tongue:

I'll do it for free for you.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
You could always try and put some gorgeous veneer on the sides, all you need is a hobby knife, 320 grit sandpaper, some titebond II glue and a couple of heavy bags of sand. There are some really gorgeous veneers out there for affordable prices plus, you'd have the most unique set of Missions in the world. Most speakers are covered in veneer anyway.
All-Thumbs Rubi will think about this.

You're British, aren't you?:tongue:

Paint them if you want. The enclosures are particleboard with veneer so the sound will not be affected. If the veneer is damaged it's kind of hard to fix it so it's perfect.
I know, I know, vince. So I will think about it all.

I'll do it for free for you.
Thank you, vince. Be right over.
But what about my speakers?
:cool:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Blow in my ear.

All inclusive, one-stop service for my friends Rubi. Free means free.

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
Mi querido senor...the dilemna that you have before you--to paint or not to paint is the question you ask. How about staining the speakers so that they are a darker wood in lieu of paint? This would allow them to blend into your decor while not spoiling the wood. Would this just complicate the matter even more?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Mi querido senor...the dilemna that you have before you--to paint or not to paint is the question you ask. How about staining the speakers so that they are a darker wood in lieu of paint? This would allow them to blend into your decor while not spoiling the wood. Would this just complicate the matter even more?

No, rico ... a darker stain would be nice as well.
I think an actual black would be better.
They're 25 years old, rico ... almost as old as one sexy Latino I know.
So I'm not too worried about the wood.
But I do want any paint job I may or may not do, to look good.
Black melamine I think could give a look very similar to the black finish of many speakers you might buy new.
Do you know black malamine, rico? It can look good.
The rest of the apartment has Asian colors ... reds and greens, so is quite colorful.
Having a black subtheme running throughout the room can increase the coordination.
Howevuh, jason_hells [j/k] says it's fruity.:wink:
Whadda u think, rico?

D_Roland_D_Hay

Account Disabled
Media
No, rico ... a darker stain would be nice as well.
I think an actual black would be better.
They're 25 years old, rico ... almost as old as one sexy Latino I know.
So I'm not too worried about the wood.
But I do want any paint job I may or may not do, to look good.
Black melamine I think could give a look very similar to the black finish of many speakers you might buy new.
Do you know black malamine, rico? It can look good.
The rest of the apartment has Asian colors ... reds and greens, so is quite colorful.
Having a black subtheme running throughout the room can increase the coordination.
Howevuh, jason_hells [j/k] says it's fruity.:wink:
Whadda u think, rico?

I say go for the entire fruit bowl...make it all match.

although a dark stain would be sharp and not so fruity