painting loudspeakers ... yeah or nay?

You wanna watch? There is nothing like watching the good senor loose all of his dignity while squealing like a baby pig. :wink:

Nope, no need to watch that which I've seen before.

Though it was more of a few chuckles...

Riven650

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have a pair of early 1980s Mission 710s. I had to get the main driver cones overhauled a couple of years back as the rubber suspension was shot. It cost me £75 but it was worth it. They are VERY good loudspeakers. Mine have a darkish natural wood veneer, and brown speaker cloth. I don't think there's any lacquer or varnish on the wood. I think it's some kind of teak. I love them just the way they are. If mine were a bit scuffed I'd try rubbing a little teak oil into the surface in line with the grain with a clean cloth. I know dark wood has been out of fashion for a few years now, but I think it's coming back.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
You should be able to blast the walls out without any strain at all.
Actually, said walls have been painstakingly reinforced and insulated so as to strictly reflect the aforementioned blast and not "adulterate" the sound in any way. :wink:

The only B & W speakers I ever heard were in a store selling used audiophile equipment.
They were massive, all black, and didn't look at all like the Nautilus.
Driven by a sleek-looking and very sleek-sounding Moon amplifier.
A totally natural sound. The speaker hardly intruded at all. It was amazing.
May have been the "mini-fridge"-like Matrix 801. Not a particularly attractive speaker, but was the reference monitor for many studios back in the day.

Attachments

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I have a pair of early 1980s Mission 710s. I had to get the main driver cones overhauled a couple of years back as the rubber suspension was shot. It cost me £75 but it was worth it. They are VERY good loudspeakers.
My 770s are not of quite that vintage ... a bit newer, but like yours still sound pretty darn good, I think.
Mission really knew what they were doing back then.
(Not saying they don't now. I frankly don't know, Riven.)

The only B & W speakers I ever heard were in a store selling used audiophile equipment.
They were massive, all black, and didn't look at all like the Nautilus.

May have been the "mini-fridge"-like Matrix 801. Not a particularly attractive speaker, but was the reference monitor for many studios back in the day.
Yup, I'm pretty sure those are the same ones.
Have you heard them?
If so, how do they compare to your Nautilus?
(BTW, did you buy your 802s new? If so, where did you buy your Bentley?)

Last edited:

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Yup, I'm pretty sure those are the same ones.
Have you heard them?
Yes... amazing. :yup:

If so, how do they compare to your Nautilus?
TBH I can't discern much difference between the two. I'm partial to the aesthetics of the 802, of course... veritable works of art.

(BTW, did you buy your 802s new? If so, where did you buy your Bentley?)
New? Yes. Actually picked them and an HTM-1 center channel up from a chap in NYC who needed to meet his margin calls, so it was a "right place, right time" kind of thing. They hadn't even been out of the box yet, so I promptly sent a truck to fetch and air freight them to papa (not a particularly cheap proposition as 802's have a cast iron plinth and weigh 160 lbs. each!).

The Bentley? Bentley Beverly Hills, of course! :smile:

Last edited:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
New? Yes. Actually picked them and an HTM-1 center channel up from a chap in NYC who needed to meet his margin calls, so it was a "right place, right time" kind of thing.
Just read up on the HTM-1.
The B & W kingdom has everything.

They hadn't even been out of the box yet, so I promptly sent a truck to fetch and air freight them to papa (not a particularly cheap proposition as 802's have a cast iron plinth and weigh 160 lbs. each!).
They would be worth it.
You're obviously very serious about this stuff.

The Bentley? Bentley Beverly Hills, of course! :smile:
Y'know, VeeP, I like you ... you got style.:wink: