Palin 4th mistake on VP Role

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ledroit, Oct 22, 2008.

1. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    Unbelievable. Palin flunks again on a 3rd grade question. Says again VP is "in charge of the US Senate."

Since July 31 she still hasn't memorized the answer. Here's what she said to answer Brandon, the 3rd grader, about what a VP does.

"That's a great question, Brandon, and the VP has a really great job.... They're in charge of the US Senate. So if they want to, they can get in there with the Senators and make a lot of good policy changes...."

For some Palin now looks like a greater liability than Bush is to McCain's campaign, another "buckaneer" who would just make things up as she goes along. Does anybody think this will work well for McCain, or that he actually has her under control?

2. WellHung83

Gold Member

Albums:
    This woman reminds me of Umbridge from Harry Potter and the Order Of The Pheonix for some reason lol

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

That's funny... I've been yelling EXPELIAMUS everytime she appears on my TV screen and she never seems to go away. :biggrin1:

4. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

What's even more funny....is that Joe Biden, this week, referred to the people in his district as 'mostly rednecks' that are ready for a change, but not if that change includes a black President.

Hahahahaha.:biggrin1:

Even funnier, this same week he gave that ridiculous crisis speech indicated that Obama would have a low approval rating as he would be 'tested' within 6 months of taking office.

Hahahaha.:biggrin1:

Is he trying to throw the campaign? They better muzzle that blowhard.

5. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Fuckpig,

It's called honesty. You may not see that much in the Republican party. And since I haven't heard the exact words of Joe and I doubt you paraphrased verbatim...

I understand that in essence he is saying racism is still alive and well in America.

And secondly that whoever is the next president of America has a very tough job to do.

I see nothing wrong with that. And regardless, Obama is going to win. I've seen the turn outs at McCain 'rallies' and they are pitiful.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

Keith Olbermann blasted her on this last night, too; I think it was over the top.

Not that any one person is 'in charge' of the Senate, but the Constitution designates that the Vice President is the "President of the Senate". And that title comes with only one power, but what a power that one power is: If the deliberative body of 100 people deadlock on a decision, the President of the Senate gets to make that decision all by him/herself.

Furthermore, the Senate's own procedures allow the President of the Senate certain parliamentary, gavel-banging authority, such as the power to call a session to order, the power to determine whether a quorum is present, the power to rule on points of order. In practice, these powers are almost always designated to the President pro tempore or some other senator; however, the Vice President has the right to exercise them. Olbermann completely failed to mention these powers: they're not listed in the Constitution, but rather in the Standing Rules of the Senate.

Is that the same as being 'in charge'? No, but as an uncomplicated answer for an eight-year-old, is it out of bounds? I think an eight-year-old could handle a little more detail than Palin gave, but I'm willing to give her a pass on this one.

7. B_starinvestor

And where have you "seen" those? From your parents' basement?

I've been to two and they were both completely packed.

8. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    It was Jack Murtha, not Joe Biden who made the "redneck" remark.

9. mindseye

Gold Member

That doesn't say much: Monday night, there was an event described as a "rally" at the "Montgomery County Victory Center" here in town. Here's the promo for the event at mccain.com.

The "Montgomery County Victory Center", aka 302-A North Main Street, is a vacated storefront that still bears the paint job of the indy record store that used to be there.

This article covered the event -- they used the word 'crammed' instead of 'packed' -- but it took only fifty people to cram the space.

10. B_starinvestor

I'm glad that McCain/Palin are making time for small towns and communities. I've been to two in Ohio with over 5,000 at each. I'm sure there are big and small turnouts for both campaigns depending on location. That really must be an exhausting schedule for the candidates on each side.

11. B_starinvestor

You're right, IS. Damn, Murtha sounds like Biden on the radio. My mistake.

12. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I totally agree, blowhard.

How is your post relevant? You didn't even get the right guy. You're trying to take the focus away from Palin's embarassing ignorance with this nonsense post. It's all you seem to do lately.

I hardly ever post on the political threads anymore because of boring, desperate, predictable, scared people like you.

~yawns~

13. B_starinvestor

You are sorely missed. [yawn]

14. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    That is completely charitable in her favor Mindseye. I watch C-SPAN everyday and have NEVER seen the vice president there. The Vice President holds a tie breaking vote in the Senate but does not preside over the Senate. It is the freshman senators who are traditionally assigned the role of presiding over the Senate in order to learn Senate procedure.

She was talking about shaping legislation and that is NOT a role of the Vice president. The president of the Senate just means that you can cast a tie breaking vote.

A Quorum is always assumed to be in effect unless a quorum call is needed... any senator can issue a quorum call and they are only employed to delay a session.

15. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah because, ya know, "real" Americans live there. :rolleyes:

16. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    It's called "packing the house", star. It's what they have to do at this point.

When Kathleen Parker, George Will, and David Frum jump ship it's over. When even David Brooks says Sarah Palin "represents a fatal cancer to the Republican Party" it's a death knell.

17. houtx48

Gold Member

dick chaney thinks he is king of the world as vp, sarah could at least run the senate

18. sargon20

Gold Member

I loved that David Brooks article. Because what he said was so true:

But over the past few decades, the Republican Party has driven away people who live in cities, in highly educated regions and on the coasts. This expulsion has had many causes. But the big one is this: Republican political tacticians decided to mobilize their coalition with a form of social class warfare.

The Republicans have alienated whole professions. Lawyers now donate to the Democratic Party over the Republican Party at 4-to-1 rates. With doctors, it’s 2-to-1. With tech executives, it’s 5-to-1. With investment bankers, it’s 2-to-1. It took talent for Republicans to lose the banking community.

Conservatives are as rare in elite universities and the mainstream media as they were 30 years ago. The smartest young Americans are now educated in an overwhelmingly liberal environment.

...politically, the G.O.P. is squeezed at both ends. The party is losing the working class by sins of omission — because it has not developed policies to address economic anxiety. It has lost the educated class by sins of commission — by telling members of that class to go away.

The Class War Before Palin

How much longer can the Republicans win while alienating vasts swaths of the electorate? All signs point to starggering loses which boggles the mind given losing the House and the Senate in 2006. Welcome to 1964.

#18 sargon20, Oct 22, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  19. uncutguy37

uncutguy37 Active Member

Albums:
    Palin 4th mistake on VP Role

How many mistakes has Biden made? alot more than four, and if Palin had said some of the stupid things he did, she would have never heard then end of it, but since its Biden and part of of the "Obama Media" its ok, and no one says anything about him. I wonder what would happen if she had said...." its a about a three (3) letter word, JOBS " or if she had said " Obama is gonna be tested by our enemies" or "stand up Chuck" to a guy in a wheelchair..

Obama and Biden are not being held to the same standards as McCain and Palin, they are giving a free pass on everything from being friends with terrorist's and racist preachers, to telling handicapped men to stand up, why dont we hear about all that from the "Obama Media"

20. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you for an intellectually honest response to this.

Draft saved Draft deleted