Palin snubbed by Thatcher!!

S

superbot

I understand this deluded individual has been shamelessly angling for a meeting with our former Prime Minister.Would never happen of course,but wouldn't it be great to be a fly on the wall if it did!!?....IMAGINE!

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I understand this deluded individual has been shamelessly angling for a meeting with our former Prime Minister.Would never happen of course,but wouldn't it be great to be a fly on the wall if it did!!?....IMAGINE!

From today's Guardian blog post... the reportage of this story is almost better than the story itself. That Sarah Palin's handlers would attempt to arrange a meeting with Lady Thatcher for political advantage is hysterical enough, but to have Rush Limbaugh angry over apparently accurate reportage is priceless. For contrast, here is a link so you can see how the Los Angeles Times blogged the story.

There is a long tail to this news item and it starts with Palin camp efforts in 2010 to secure a meeting with Lady Thatcher. The Huffington Post ran this story almost exactly a year ago. I especially love how the true purpose of the meeting is described then by Palin sources: "to enhance her image... and prepare to challenge Mr Obama". Sarah Palin's own spin on the meeting, according to the 2010 reportage, suggested Thatcher's staff had initiated the idea of the meeting. Of course, now, Palin says the meeting is just so she can express her admiration for her heroine. It's all very sad commentary.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If the behind the scenes chatter is true, in 2008 McCain's staff discovered to their astonishment that Palin had no idea who Margaret Thatcher was when they were preparing Sarah for the campaign and the debates.

It's not a wonder that Baroness Thatcher's people want to protect her from Palin's opportunism. The poor woman is suffering from dementia, and could not possibly have any positive benefit from a meeting. (And by poor woman, I refer to Thatcher, of course. :wink:)

Sarah Palin: The Sound and the Fury | Politics | Vanity Fair
Early in the 2008 campaign, when John McCain’s aides discovered that Alaska-size gaps existed in Palin’s general knowledge (among those previously unreported: she had no idea who Margaret Thatcher was), they from time to time would give her some books to read in hopes of improving the candidate’s learning curve. On one such occasion, Palin accepted the books, set them aside, and for the next 25 minutes was held rapt by one of her three BlackBerrys.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If the behind the scenes chatter is true, in 2008 McCain's staff discovered to their astonishment that Palin had no idea who Margaret Thatcher was when they were preparing Sarah for the campaign and the debates.

It's not a wonder that Baroness Thatcher's people want to protect her from Palin's opportunism. The poor woman is suffering from dementia, and could not possibly have any positive benefit from a meeting. (And by poor woman, I refer to Thatcher, of course. :wink:)

On one such occasion, Palin accepted the books, set them aside, and for the next 25 minutes was held rapt by one of her three BlackBerrys
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It explains so much! I think her tanning bed fried her brain! Best laugh I've had all week. I have that copy of VF I have not had a chance to look at yet I'm going to go find it right now!

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Ah, thanks for posting that link, rawbone8. In the back of my mind, I thought that I had read that recently somewhere, but I couldn't remember where I had read it. I enjoyed your clarification of the 'poor woman' reference, too. :wink:

As a funny aside, I actually had someone challenge me in a post claiming Vanity Fair wasn't a newsworthy source -- can you believe that? With writers like Hitchens and Wolcott? An editor like Graydon Carter? 11 National Magazine awards? Of course, this same person accused me of learning whatever it was I was commenting on at a two year community college. It was such a vicious attack, it was actually funny because the writer was oblivious to the fact that he came off as a total asshole. I'm sure if you search "community college" or "Vanity Fair" in the Politics Forum you'd find the post.

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lady Thatcher is not in good health and has pretty much taken a back-seat in politics. That said I expect some sort of meeting could have been organised if Lady Thatcher wanted it - basically the discussion is worked out in advance between aides and there is the obligatory handshake shot. If even this were not possible - if Lady Thatcher's health is too poor - then a meeting with another Tory grandee of her generation could have been offered.

IMO Lady Thatcher has made a decision not to be seen to endorse Palin - a decision which I'm sure her UK fan club will feel is the right one.

(PS. If Palin didn't know who Thatcher was, did she know the US guy who for some reason or other was a little bit well known around the same time, Ronald Reagan?)

ColoradoGuy

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
{snip}
(PS. If Palin didn't know who Thatcher was, did she know the US guy who for some reason or other was a little bit well known around the same time, Ronald Reagan?)
{snip}

One wonders. You are probably familiar with the little ditties about what "average Americans" don't know. Here's a link to Brent Martin's The Daily Zeitgeist and his post about a disturbing National Geographic study: half of young Americans can't place New York on a map.

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
First there would be some rambling inane conversation and then Lady Thatcher would answer Sarah.