Pan's Labyrinth

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

*WOW*

takes alot for me to really praise a film as truly exceptional...i expect alot from movies, and only 5-6 a year to me are truly worthy.

this film came out in 2006, somehow i missed it...i thought it was just another of the Narnia, golden compass type of annoying film wave that was sweeping around, then i thought it was for kids then i just kind of forgot about it, and left it for a couple of years...

well, i finally saw it last night.

it really was rather stunning.

sad, beautiful, haunting...violent and cruel, but still can be sweet, war and fantasy...fear and hope

it is in spanish, with subtitles, and i highly highly recommend it.

other folks' thoughts?

seen it? want to see it?

2. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I almost started a thread a while back on this because i recently watched it as well.

It was touching, strange, well made and made me feel weird. I think of it often.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

indeed...it is on again this Monday morning at around 2:20 AM on one of the HBO's...i already have it set on Tivo...i need to really watch it again....it is wonderfully strange and weird...captivating in a way considering the combination of violent reality and innocent fantasy.

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

yeah i didnt realize it was considered horror. I was messed up by the guy beating that innocent man in the face with the gun. I've seen many real clips of people getting killed and that looked entirely too real.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

One of my all-time favorite movies.

The ending is sad, but necessary, Hollywood would never make a movie with an ending like that.

6. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just really couldn't get into the movie. It was touching, yet borderline sadistic. A bit too weird for my tastes. Maybe I need to watch it again.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

i don't really know what to consider it...Horror/Fantasy/Drama...it kind of defies description.

i think the graphic violence of it was done with such realism and the innocence and fantasy was so escapist and sort of beautiful that the contrast was so stark and wonderful...it really sort of showed how a child can compartmentalize to forget the horror of a situation and how they escape in to fantasy and imagination to shield themselves from horror.

it is a very poignant film

8. Flashy

Gold Member

well, true, no major studio, but some daring mroe independent studios would...

but this particular work is rather stagerring and unique.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

i can definitely see how some would feel that way....when i started watching it, i contemplated turning the channel a couple of times in the first 20 minutes...but then, i got pulled in to it after awhile and when it was done, i immediately wanted to see it again, and that is how i feel after i have seen a great film...i want to see it again several times, to see what i missed, and to really absorb the different parts of it.

10. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I was on the edge between liking Pan and disliking him. That part with her going into that secret room with where she couldnt eat anything from the table, was way too frustrating to watch.

As a mother of a daughter, i couldnt get the part where the mother so many times ignored the red flags of impending abuse from that man she married.

Also, i was bothered by the ending which technically was the beginning of the movie because the tragedy was never ending. It surprised me when Pan was asking for the baby so he could sacrifice it in order to get into the secret world.

This movie fucked with my head and left me feeling empty about humanity like Schindler's List.

11. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    I have only heard great things about this movie.
    I am convinced. If I can find somewhere to watch it, I'll do it tonight. :biggrin1:

12. Flashy

Gold Member

be warned, as i said, it is in Spanish with subtitles (if you are okay with that)

13. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

i never watch movies with subtitles but after a while you dont even notice them because the movie moves fast with such captivation.

I did like the movie because it stands out as one of the very few that have affected me.

14. Flashy

Gold Member

yes it definitely fucks with your head alot...as for the mother, don't forget it is taking place in the mid 1940s in Spain...i think the abusive nature may have been considered commonplace at that time...

the secret room part i sort of knew was going to happen, but it was rather well done and very spooky in a way

15. Flashy

Gold Member

yes, subtitles can be a bit tough at times, mostly because your eyes are drawn to the bottom of the screen and away from the action, but as you said once you are pulled in, you don't realize it, but once in a while i found myself caught looking at one of the beautiful visuals so i would miss a bit of a line once in awhile

that is why i would like to see it again soon.

16. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Another good Spanish movie is *Rec (but fast forward the beginning when they are in the firehouse, that part is boring) . It was remade poorly as Quarantine for an American audience.

17. BJs4You IL

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Excellent film

18. rob_

rob_ Active Member

Albums:
    What?! I may as well read a book! :mad:

I think I'll survive.

19. Flashy

Gold Member

just giving you a heads up...some folks immediately don't want to watch subtitles

20. morsecode

morsecode New Member

I find it interesting that most people think it has a sad ending, that the "other" world wasn't real, it is definitely up in the air and you can take from it what you will, but I remember thinking that there weren't any implausibilities during the transitions from and to both worlds, nothing really clashes, so the director wanted the audience to make up their minds.

I did find the Spanish annoying, but it is because I'm not accustomed to 1940's castilian.

Draft saved Draft deleted