Pan's Labyrinth

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I find it interesting that most people think it has a sad ending, that the "other" world wasn't real, it is definitely up in the air and you can take from it what you will, but I remember thinking that there weren't any implausibilities during the transitions from and to both worlds, nothing really clashes, so the director wanted the audience to make up their minds.

I did find the Spanish annoying, but it is because I'm not accustomed to 1940's castilian.

well, the realness of the other world is up for debate. i personally thought it clearly existed, but then i was not so sure....i guess that is the element of "fantasy" to it.

but the birthmark on her shoulder is real, the mandrake under the bed is real, and it makes the mom better (or, did the doctor do it with his medicines?)

the Labyrinth itself is definitely real...

but i think this it what makes the film so interesting.

Media
I always thought it was great movie. Sad, but a great movie.
The hardships and cruelty the little girl faced were the inspiration/escape for the fantasy world that she created for herself. Imagination has no bounds, this is what made her world seem real to me just as it surely seemed real to her.

IMO At it's core, this movie is a fairy tale told from the imagination of the girl who was trapped on so many levels. Not every fairy tale has a happy ending, in that, I was reminded of Grimm's fairy tales a bit.

The imagery was stunning, organic, scary and so very unusual.

Last edited:

Brensta

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I loved this movie when I saw it the first time and continue to appreciate it every time since. The ending was both sad and sweet.

I am very glad that the director was chosen to tackle The Hobbit next, it is obvious that his ability to work within the realm of fantasy in right up there with the masters.

One thing that REALLY struck me was the performance of the young girl in the lead, for her age she was incredible

drumstyck

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
saw it in theaters when it came out...only the indie film theater was showing it, but it was worth the drive.

two other Guillermo Del Toro movies i really enjoyed were Chronos & The Devil's Backbone...check 'em out.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
very true Oh yeah

I think that Del Toro left it up to us to decide if the magic/fantasy world is real or imaginary.

If we believe the girl is jsut acting out a fantasy to escape then we`re right; if we believe that she really is seeing a magical world then we`re right.

i think our first hint of this, is that we see the insects in the beginning that fly around...when they appear in her room, she asks them if they are fairies...

she has tons of books, all about fantasy and mystery and stories...

she shows the insect the picture...the insect, obligingly, morphs in to a fairy.

i think that shows us her retreat in to the fantasy to escape the reality...*OR* they could be real, if you believe in magic...(much like the fairies in Peter Pan....if you believe in fairies clap three times, or whatever it was)

Media
very true Oh yeah

I think that Del Toro left it up to us to decide if the magic/fantasy world is real or imaginary.

If we believe the girl is jsut acting out a fantasy to escape then we`re right; if we believe that she really is seeing a magical world then we`re right.

i think our first hint of this, is that we see the insects in the beginning that fly around...when they appear in her room, she asks them if they are fairies...

she has tons of books, all about fantasy and mystery and stories...

she shows the insect the picture...the insect, obligingly, morphs in to a fairy.

i think that shows us her retreat in to the fantasy to escape the reality...*OR* they could be real, if you believe in magic...(much like the fairies in Peter Pan....if you believe in fairies clap three times, or whatever it was)

I think it was the director's intent, this way the little girl never really dies no matter how you choose to view it. It is a loving gesture on his part.

TroMag

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Did anyone notice Pan's bulge?

In all seriousness, that was a great movie. Loved the ending. Much better than the typical crap that gets churned out of Hollywood.

Last edited:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It was one of those films where it left you disturbed at the end, silently walking out of the theater - a mixture of intense cruel violence and fairytale sweetness. I was sadly disappointed by the ending which I took to be a helpless acceptance of evil as a part of life.

The vision of the woman sticking her paring knife in the commander's mouth and cutting the side of his lip agape has never left me.

Last edited:

ruggero

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
it was on tv here a few nights ago and was worth a 2nd look.
Saw it originally on dvd the extras were fascinating, like why Pan's legs are so angular.
Very Well worth the look.
and as for subtitles, thank god for them. oTHERWISE EVERY BLOODY FILM WOULD BE DUBBED IN aMERICAN, IT COULD ALL END UP SOUNDING LIKE ANIME OR the original Japanese iRON cHEF!!!
bloody caps lock, sorry I wasn't "shouting!"

Mastur

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Awesome movie!
Going a little of track now, but the realness of the violence reminded me of another brilliant arthouse movie, the french 'Irreversible' with Monica Bellucci and Vincent Cassel. A very plain but clever script. The violence is however utterly sickening but masterfully done.

fixmix

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you liked Pans Labyrinth may I reccommend The Devil's Backbone. It's by Guillermo Del Toro and is truly amazing, I feel it is just as good as Pan but if you have never seen it I say give it a chance.

Actually I got to meet Guillermo Del Toro last year at a book signing and I have to say he was a lovely man, he took the time to talk to everyone and although he was only meant to be there for an hour or two he made sure he got to see everyone and was just a very nice man.

SO again wath The Devil's Backbone :)