Paper is Paper!

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Am I the only one having problems reading books online?
I really hate reading online. Ok, newspapers are one thing, but reading a whole book? You can find a book as a PDF file, but it`s quite expensive to download the whole book here.
And I miss the sound when you turn the page! :redface:

B_stanmarsh14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yes, often makes me wonder, with these devices like Kindle etal.

To give you an idea, I repair classic slot machines as a hobby, and one thing I often use, is the field service and repair guides, to help me with fault fixing.

One the FME sites I use, we have digital copies of these service guides, and whilst they are ok to make a quick reference to, I almost always print them off, as they are easier to use that way, and not put up with a tiny screen, that don't always propaly show up what you want to see, unlike a printed copy.

DasLeezard

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like taking a book with me to the kitchen, outside, or wherever, and it beats having to wait for the damn thing to boot up, and having to hope for a nearby power source.

Screw e-books. Give me the real thing.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As an ebook publisher, I feel your pain, Luka. If you get your book as a pdf file, it is quite easy to print it out on any PC and then use a hole punch on them and put the pages into a three ring binder. Or you can bring your pdf to a copy store such as Kinko's or OfficeMax and they will do it for you, including a spine.

You will also be glad to hear that my press is reformatting our entire product line to a print-on-demand distribution service called Smashwords. Then you will be able to order our works through many more distributors and will always have the option to purchase a paper copy @DarkRoastPress

Dark Roast Press

Magnus_Phallus

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I kind of like the physicallity of paper books too
but the convenience of an entire library in something
as small and light as an iphone™, hard to resist.

For reference books its just perfect.

For literary works the more sizable ipad™ seems better suited

for the record I dont get a dime from Apple corp. :tongue:

Print on demand, they have that at McGill great idea for textbooks.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If I fall asleep while reading a book I don't have to worry about breaking it when I roll over it in bed. I can also drop a book on a cement floor and, amazingly, it still works.

Nope. Paper is what I like. And I like the entire concept of a designed product with a dust jacket in the usual 7' x 9" (or close) size that, if I forget it on an airplane it won't ruin 15 minutes of my day.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
ebooks don't cope so well being accidentally dropped in the bath.

No I will always want my ink and paper books thanks.

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
no the e-book is just fine, the e-reader would be ruined yes but I can say the same thing for throwing real books in the bath too.

I'm getting an Ipad2 this summer I'll find out if I can read for long periods of time or not.

comics and articles are just fine.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I enjoy both. I read most of my books on my computer, but I still buy paperbacks and sometimes a hardback if I simply cannot wait for it. I've dropped several books in the bathtub, pages become crinkly but I can still read them after several dunkings! I wouldn't dare take my laptop near a tub of water, that's just asking to buy a new one.

posting4745

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
OH NO.... how could you buy those new-fangled horseless carriages? don't you miss riding in a horse drawn carriage. Cars are SOOOOO impersonal... and besides my horse has a name.... Reading the NYTimes on my iPad saves about 8 pounds of newsprint from hitting my lawn (not to mention saving about 60% a month over home delivery). One book and you're hooked. As far as a power source, I get at least 5-10 days on a charge.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The giant bathrooms in my old San Francisco apartment house had an unusually long old-fashioned tubs on claw legs. Four people could comfortably sit in them and socialize.

My lover and I kept whatever we were reading on a long low table along one side of the tub in our bathroom and would play hot tub most mornings (a little sex, a little reading, adjusting the water temperature with more hot water, a little more sex). All of our books eventually expanded because of accidents, if not just from the general humidity. I've still have many of those books and, just like a Festivus Miracle, after many years stored on tightly-packed book shelves, the water damage is negligible. And it's so nice to be able to go into my library and look along the shelves, knowing exactly where I can find something that is long out of print, retrieve it and read it. I can't imagine a library of e-books. Just not the same.

But if you need to be at the vanguard of the next technology, go ahead. I wont' stop you.

The other day some Canadians stumbled into my corner parilla gasping, "Cerveza, por favor. Cerveza!" The waitress politely brought them two Heineken. Even though one was originally from Ecuador, his language skills weren't exactly what one would expect. After engaging them in English and helping them order food to go along with their life-sustaining beers, they insisted upon exchanging e-mail and phone numbers with me. They were disappointed when I didn't pull out an iPhone and actually asked me, "Do you know what an iPhone is? We have iPhones. Have you ever seen one?" The poor guys. I politely told them that I did, indeed, know what an iPhone was. But even though I wander the planet with three different mobile phones that I recharge by buying phone call credit (saves a ton of money over being stuck with an iPhone plan), I was chagrinned that they did not understand how I could have a business card with a business domain name and a Macbook Pro (with the really big screen) and not have an iPhone! The horror of it all! LOL!

When I send e-mails I need a full-blown key board meant for real hands, not a faux toy key board. My e-mails are long and involved things. These guys were more ini the twitter-length range of communication. I doubt we'll ever become great friends, but they were amusing while they kept me company as they waited for the Eva Peron museum to open. They promised to send me an e-mail when they show up in Barcelona on a summer gay cruise. But I've a sneaking suspicion if they do try to reach me I'll somehow be previously engaged with some other activity. However, I wish them well.

No, give me books made of paper. I've already given up the NY Times as a paper entity and read it on line. That's enough of a sacrifice for me for now.

Last edited:

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I use both. My preference is for paper, but once I buy a book I find I cannot give it away. Thus, I have boxes and boxes of books to move every time I move. So I bought an e-reader. I love it. When I travel, I download 3 or 4 books and only have the one slim little package to slip into my purse.

With the e-reader, I can also adjust font size which for my aging eyes is a good thing. I have about 200 books on my reader right now. I have a leather case for it so I can hold it like a book and I've rolled over it in bed many times. Dropped it with no problem. Wouldn't use it in the bath tho.

There are still some books I buy in paper. That will always be my preference. But the convienence of my reader has mostly converted me.