Paragliding Police

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Video: Paragliding Police

A few buddies over in the Palm Bay, Florida police department have somehow convinced the police chief that putt-putting along at 45 mph in a noisy contraption a few hundred feet off the ground can be an indispensable crime fighting tool. Forget that the bad guys can hear you coming from as far away as Melbourne or Cape Canaveral, or that hanging/sitting suspended in the wide open is an inviting target for someone who ordinarily can't hit the broadside of a barn with a surface-to-air-missile. No, because for a patrolman bored of sitting behind a billboard waiting to hand out out revenue-enhancement speeding citations, powered paragliding is also (shhh) damn fun!

So far the flying officers have only managed to figure out the taking-off and landing part of the equation; how to utilize the paraglider emblazoned with the "Palm Bay Police Department" across the parachute's lower side is a question yet to be assessed. But one can conjecture it will be used largely for community public relations work like with local schools. For recess the teachers will haul the elementary children out of the classroom to the playground to see officer Muldoon drop out of the sky and give a well-practiced lecture: "Did I hear someone summon the Sky Patrol? Remember kids, always obey your teachers and parents, say please and thank you, and eat nutritiously so someday you can grow up to be... who?" Kids- "Officer Muldoon!!" That's right. :rolleyes:

Each paraglider costs about seven thousand bucks and was paid for by bad guy bounty (confiscated drug loot.)

Reallyonlyme

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sounds like fun to me!
I think the idea is to be a visible deterrent. They hope the bad guy doesn't think of running down a narrow street with lots of phone/power lines across is, and at least they didn't spend tax payers money on it, and it only wastes one cop.
Yesterday over here in the UK I saw two community police officers (who are wanna be cops, we call them plastic police) in a smart car.
For those of you lucky enough to not have been exposed to a smart car, they're a little 2 seater town car with a tiny 3 cylinder engine and no guts.
SmartCarPolice_1380983c.jpg

Basically you could outrun this thing just by using your starter motor. And even if you couldn't, the damn things are light as a feather and half plastic... Engage reverse gear - crunch - forward gear - drive away!
Okay, I guess I should salute them for being green when toddling round the villages, but come on, there is a limit, and there were two of them in it!

Last edited: