Paralyzed Man, Can Have Guns

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
James Cap, Paralyzed Man, Can Have Guns

SOMERVILLE, N.J. — A New Jersey judge says a quadriplegic blocked from buying a gun to go hunting has the right to bear arms even though he will have to use a wheelchair mount to use the firearm. Manville's police chief had rejected James Cap's application last year, citing safety concerns. The borough attorney says the safety issues could only be resolved by a judge.

A judge ruled Tuesday that the 46-year-old is eligible for a firearms ID, which is required to buy a gun. The judge addressed the safety issues by requiring Cap to have qualified people assist him with weapons. Cap was an avid hunter as a teenager. He was paralyzed 30 years ago after breaking his neck in a high school football game. He plans to mount the gun on his wheelchair and operate it with a breathing tube.

Okay, I have some questions:
What is he hunting that he can get to with a motorized wheelchair?
It can't be deer, duck, or turkey. He'd never be able to get to where the game is without them hearing and/or smelling him and scattering. :no:

I'm all for gun ownership, and people having hobbies. I make a pretty mean venison chili. I dunno, maybe it's more a quality of life question. Poor guy has been a quadriplegic for 30 years. If hunting with his family and friends makes him happy, then I think the judge was right to allow it. :yup:

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My first thought upon seeing the article, was that he would clearly have a Cap gun (his name being Cap, stay with me people).

Then as I read further, I noticed he would breathe through a tube to operate the thing, so it would clearly be...

...a blow gun!:biggrin1:

(yeah, I know, millions of out of work comedians, why am I adding to the list)

Back to topic, seeing as how Mr.Cap enjoys hunting and will be with a qualified assistant, it should be fairly safe and I can't see a problem with it (unless you're a deer, a duck or some other prey which he's setting his sights on).

For those who may be wondering, the good hearted judge who issued the ruling is Superior Court Judge John Pursel of Somerville, New Jersey. The police chief who rejected the application was Mark Peltack: Quadriplegic hunter gets gun permit - UPI.com

...and NJQT, my only reason for pursuing it further was that the names were not part of the Huffington/Star-Ledger article. I'm always interested in knowing all the players.

Are you kidding? The deer around here are dumb as bricks. They lounge about unphased by cars, people, or dogs. I can get within 20 feet of them easily and they just stare at me even when I have the dogs with me.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Northland, your humor and comments are always welcome in my threads.
:cool::biggrin1:

Are you kidding? The deer around here are dumb as bricks. They lounge about unphased by cars, people, or dogs. I can get within 20 feet of them easily and they just stare at me even when I have the dogs with me.
Lets be fair Jason, your dogs aren't exactly Mastiffs. :tongue: I'm sure they are capable of raising a ruckus but I don't see them taking down a 10 point buck. :biggrin1:

They could tear an elephant limb from limb, their bloody jaws feasting on pachyderm flesh!! They may be small but they're ferocious predators and woe betide the creature what crosses their path!