Paranormal Activity

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by tommiet, Oct 12, 2009.

1. tommiet

tommiet Member

What has anyone heard about this movie? Heard it was scarier than Blair Witch...even scarier than the Exorcist. People walking out of the theater in droves. What's the scoop???

2. laughatbig

laughatbig New Member

Albums:
    I saw it this friday and that was the best movie I have seen in a long time. I love the lead male actor he is freakin fine and runs around in boxer shorts through the entire movie. The movie was very well done in the fact that it is faux documentary, but is was seamless in detail.

3. sam_solo26

sam_solo26 New Member

Albums:
    I saw it on Sunday. The movie freaked a lot of people out, but it didn't really work it's magic on quite a few people, myself included. Even my mother, who is a definite "screamer" didn't make a peep the entire time. Sure I was tense for a good bit of the film, but by the end I kinda just shrugged my shoulders and thought that it was kinda fun and I'd probably never see it again.

It is definitely not scarier than Blair Witch or The Exorcist. Those films involved deeply personal and nerve-racking journeys for their characters, both physically and mentally. They posed cutting questions about faith, fear, and willpower. They drew upon the allure and ambiguity we generally feel about mythology. And they consistently preyed upon the audience's fears about how they would react in those situations. They also had clear goals to work toward. Will Regan be exorcised of the devil, and will Father Karras find his faith again? What happened to those 3 kids in the woods, and what led to their demise?

Paranormal Activity had few of these things. There was clearly mental struggle, but the characters rarely show physical signs of sleep deprivation, and they stay in the house for the entire film. Why? Because the ghost expert said to... In the film, there was a grand total of maybe 4-5 minutes spent on the mythology and mechanics of demons, and equally little time spent on developing character backstory. And probably the biggest single detraction of the film was a general absence of some goal. After a while, you start to question why these characters are just sitting around and filming their demonic guest. Why is Micah so intent on filming this by himself, and why does he think he can "beat" this demon? Why is Katie letting him? And where are the neighbors when all the shit finally hits the fan? The goal seems to have been ridding Katie of this demon, but the movie doesn't seem very concerned with that.

In the end, I'd liken Paranormal Activity to a roller coaster ride. It's intent is to thrill, and it does. Particularly during those static shots at night, when strange things happen while the characters are sleeping and extremely vulnerable. But The Exorcist and Blair Witch are true juggernauts. Those films wanted to probe, to explore, to shock, to shake both the characters and the audience to their very foundational cores. They plopped you down into an engrossing, terrifying world and didn't relent until the screen went black. Paranormal Activity was a cakewalk, a vacation next to the trip through Hell those movies put people through.

Btw, I thought Micah was a looker too; in a scruffy, charming way. I was kinda hoping for some sex during those setups in the bedroom, but ya can't have everything lol.

4. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Blair Witch and the Exorcist are scary? Hmm...that's new to me...

5. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    The Exorcist was a well made, creepy movie. Blair Witch was horrible, not scary, just dumb.

6. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Spot on!

7. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Exorcist is regarded as one of the best horror movies ever. It still is scary.

Blair Witch was a piece of shit. A shaky can borefest and at the end all you get is some jerkoff in the corner covering his eyes. That's all I remember.

I think this movie is mostly hype and will not be scary or good.

8. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    PA has been getting great reviews all over. The distributor bought it and was going to remake it as a studio movie but after a few screenings and the good buzz they decided to release it as is.

9. tommiet

tommiet Member

I was at the opening in Boston of the Exorcist...people walked out it was so scary. Gl3nn you probably didn't see the movie in a theater.

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

The Exorcist was definitely a fun flick. But I also liked Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein and the Mummy.

11. Flashy

Gold Member

just FYI, Regan is not possessed by the devil...but by Pazzuzu, an evil Mesopotamian Wind Demon. )that is the beginning you see in Iraq where they find the statude, and then it is later the statue that appears during the final exorcism scene)

i hate scary movies...i simply cannot watch that stuff...

but Exorcist, of the scary movies i have seen, is absolutely the most terrifying to me....her face, by the end, is so fucking terrifying, i really cannot even deal with it.

i do not watch many, but they never fail to scare the fuck out of me...so i do not watch. :redface:

12. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Haha, i DARE you to watch The Grudge on your own with the lights down low :tongue:

13. sam_solo26

sam_solo26 New Member

Albums:
    It's debatable really. There is that scene, but then Karras asks who is possessing Regan and she/it says, "I'm the Devil!" in that raspy, strained voice. Of course, then there are some theories that Regan is actually playing everyone (whether consciously or unconsciously), that she's orchestrating everything as a result of her parents' divorce and their lack of interest in her. Eh, it's all food for thought, and I think the film is better for it.

And that face still gives me the fucking chills. I watched it when I was like 9 or 10, and now I think I'll be scarred for life. :frown1:

14. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep... just shit myself, and I only watched the trailer.

Couldn't watch that alone! I need a boyfriend, bad, cos I really wanna see it. :)

15. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    Won't make it to NZ til Jan 2010, so I've got time. :)

16. Contour

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    *raises hand* :cool:. You can whimper in my armpit anytime.

Draft saved Draft deleted