Parental Threats.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SpoiledPrincess, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

NJ's thread made me think of this. What empty threats did your parents used to make when you were really naughty. My mother used to threaten

I'll send you to the Ragged School

If you don't stop crying I'll give you something to cry for

The baby Jesus is watching you - until I decided I didn't believe in the baby Jesus I imagined Jesus lived in the sideboard in our sitting room.

2. dong20

Gold Member

I don't know, for the most part I didn't listen. Though I do recall threats with being put up for adoption and foster homes once or twice.

My folks seldom bothered with threats - by then it was pointless, they had already taken action!

3. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

If you don't get straight "A"s on your next report card I'm sending you to the "special school" (a school for downs syndrome and special needs kids.)

If you sleep with some one out of wedlock everyone will know your a cheap slut and you'll go to hell.

4. Big en

Big en New Member

Albums:
    We were threatened with a switch, 'Don't make me get the switch'. In today's terms it may sound barbaric, but none of us ever went to jail or were brought home by the police, so it put the fear of God in us. Basically a switch is a thin branch of a tree, best when stripped of the leaves and green for extra pain. Ouch:biggrin1:

5. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Ouch indeed, was the switch ever used?

6. Principessa

Gold Member

hahahaha that's so cute

Well duh all girls hear that one don't they? :rolleyes::confused:

I know what a switch is, but how do you know? Are you originally from the southeast US? My nana once hit my cousin so hard with a weeping willow switch I cried! :redface: (She was high yellow and each time Nana hit her it left a horrible big red welp around her legs.)

7. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'd forgotten about the threat of being sold to the gypsies, my mum used that one too, it was rather ineffectual as I loved the idea of having a flouncy skirt and a tambourine with ribbons on which I'd jangle as I danced around the campfire surrounded by traditional romany caravans :)

8. Big en

Big en New Member

Albums:

Yes Girl. lived my early years SC and NC. You should have seen our lily white legs...and it would sting for hours...:eek:

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Since I was born:

You're being chucked out when you're 16
    "Just wait til you're 16" etc etc

I'll send you to the Children's Home

I'll send you to your nan's :)eek:)

Sold to the gypsies, that's funny!

Me: What's for tea
    Mother: Your favourite; Shit with sugar on :biggrin1:

"Don't bring sluts back here"

"What are you playin at?"

10. B_Jennuine73

B_Jennuine73 New Member

If my brother and I talked during church and my dad woke up to hear it, he would give us a horsebite.(grabbing lots of skin and pinch) Then he'd say "if you cry everyone will think you're a baby) Worked for me!

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    My aunts and uncles used to tell stories about their mom punishing them by kneeling on rice in a corner while praying the rosary. As a young child, I didn't understand the threat...my naive mind was envisioning cooked rice. It wasn't until sometime later that I realized the implication was raw rice grains.

Ahhh, Catholicism, how I've missed thee so...

12. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

I know about this , i was raised in the catholic religion too.:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

13. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

My mom used to tell me that she'd slap me into next week. :rolleyes: It was always ineffective, as I knew it to be physically impossible.

14. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I'll tan your ass

I'll blister your backside

If you don't knock it off, I'll kick you out

I'll call the cops & have them remove you(when I was 21, & refused to take a job my mom told someone else I would without asking me forehand. She got huffy because I exercised my dgnity/pride/self respect.)

15. Northland

Gold Member

For failure to complete assignments or chores in a timely manner; I was often told I would be exposed as an illegal and sent back to Najaf. What an illegal actually was, was beyond my comprehension when she first said this; but, it worked- at least for the next few weeks, then it was back to my usual sloth. Apart from that threat she never delivered any idle threats- she was a firm woman who would follow through on other punishments.

My grandfather on the other hand, who was as much like a father to me as possible; since my own father was absent most often, would use empty threats to cajole me into doing things which needed to be done. He would threaten to eat all my treats, to keep the blanket all to himself (we were not wealthy and there were for many years 4 in one bed- myself, my 2 brothers and our grandfather), he would tell me he would bring me to the police and leave me there until some orphanage came to claim me- and then I would be in forced labor every day. When I was 9 or 10 (in the 4th grade) he placed a horrific book in front of me which showed pictures of children in the streets, laying in alley ways and things of that terrible sort. These children looked cold and hungry and I had no desire to join their ranks. The book, was by a man named Jacob Riis and sent chills up and down my spine! It held a great amount of power over me for the next 2 years; after which I returned to my old troublesome ways. In all fairness, he never did follow through on those threats, and rarely placed a hand upon me in anger, although he did have a loud temper.

16. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    My parents didn't bother with threats. Dad would always start taking off his belt, and we immediately knew we were dead!!

Now that I'm grown, (more or less) and my parents screw up, I always hit them with the line: "You two just don't seem to realize just how hard it is to raise good parents these days!!"

17. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

My dad wouldn't let anyone smack me, and look how I turned out :)

18. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

My mom was a very religious woman , she punished me the catholic way.

19. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Yeah, GUILT.:biggrin:

20. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

And forcing me to pray the rosary many times .:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted