Paris Hilton Responds to McCain Ad

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
We all know that, and when someone comes along and achieves great success with genuine morality it does deserve praise. I know of a few musicians who have been in the music scene for years who have yet to do any hard drugs. A VERY rare commodity. Are they as popular as the bad boys & bad girls out there? Not at all, because the media always likes to follow those who aren't doing so good. They like you when you're on top, but obsess about you when you're on the way down.

:rolleyes:We both know what goes in society so I really don't know why you continue to state the obvious. My point was that type of celebrity and the unearned favor is not to be commended and we don't have to go along with something just because others do it.

You couldn't tell any rational thinking adult that Paris Hilton is a role model for people to follow. But her political parody ad was just for entertainment purposes only. Nothing to garner this much attention and scrutiny from any rational thinking person who knows better.
Well, now you make my point for me.
Truth be told, the only person who benefits from this is Paris Hilton because the more we talk about her, the more she won't go away.
Oh I doubt that...once someone is vilified in the media and destroyed by their own celebrity...they go away...hence the phrase 15 mins of fame.
You essentially give her more power than she deserves by continuing the debate. Politicians should know this and let this little comment fade away.
LOL. I give Paris no power. And my comments clearly state Paris deserves no props for her antics. But to borrow a phrase from Obama...Let Me Be Clear...no politician will be afraid to use that comparison of celebrity to reveal that it has no place being idolized in a Presidential Campaign. So this debate will not fade away as long as Paris puts out responses and Obama tries to point the finger at McCain. It is a comparison that is pulling the layers back on Obama.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Trinity...so you admire and respect oprah Winfrey for the work she has done
Yes, I do.

.........She supports Obama.......has she been hoodwinked and bamboozled by an "inadequate Black man" in an empty suit?
I don't agree with Oprah on her choice. Neither did Maya Angelo...Oprah's mentor. Maya Angelo endorsed Hillary Clinton. Maya Angelo had some nice things to say about Obama and of course never would cross Oprah but she supported Hillary Clinton for President over Barack Obama.

I believe Oprah tried to use her influence to do a good thing, but Obama was the wrong choice.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, I do.

I don't agree with Oprah on her choice. Neither did Maya Angelo...Oprah's mentor. Maya Angelo endorsed Hillary Clinton. Maya Angelo had some nice things to say about Obama and of course never would cross Oprah but she supported Hillary Clinton for President over Barack Obama.

I believe Oprah tried to use her influence to do a good thing, but Obama was the wrong choice.
And Maya Angelou has now endorsed Senator Obama because she believes a McCain Presidency would be untenable(Good try at avoiding the question)

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm an independent. But, this year, I hope, for our sake, that McCain doesn't win. This year's campaigns have turned into shit flinging matches.

And as to Paris Hilton, of course she isn't a good role model for young kids. But it's up to parents to raise their kids. Not Paris Hilton. Besides, the point of business is to make money, not be a role model.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
And Maya Angelou has now endorsed Senator Obama because she believes a McCain Presidency would be untenable
Indy, Sen. Hillary Clinton herself endorsing Obama did not move me to back him...not the incomparable Oprah settling for Obama nor the great Maya Angelou settling for Obama (if she did) will persuade me to see Obama as more than an empty suit full of empty rhetoric.

I still have the highest respect for all three strong women and their accomplishments...however I strongly disagree with their choice to settle for Barack Obama and to overlook and not address the issues within Democratic Party.

(Good try at avoiding the question)[/
quote]

I did not avoid the question. Those are your words. I choose not to attribute that to Obama. My answer was emphatically that I do not agree with Oprah's decision to support Obama. I don't have to adopt your language to answer the question.

Last edited:

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Trinity,
So, I take it you are ready for a McCaine presidency in which he will probably be able to appoint at least three very conservative supreme court justices who, in turn, will surely overturn Roe V. Wade and go on to define birth control as abortion. If you say you are a feminist and can accept that over your pique that OBAMA WON THE NOMINATION AND CLINTON DIDN'T, you need to grow up. That's what it comes down to.
Dave

Last edited:
D

deleted15807

The "empty suit" outsmarted the Clinton machine.

And that is the simple undeniable fact. The Clinton Machine which has been in place for over 20 years was outsmarted, outmaneuvered and outfoxed. Once Obama swept Iowa Clinton chief strategist, Mark Penn who never quit his day job, had no contingency plan. It was all downhill after that.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Trinity,
So, I take it you are ready for a McCaine presidency in which he will probably be able to appoint at least three very conservative supreme court justices who, in turn, will surely overturn Roe V. Wade and go on to define birth control as abortion. If you say you are a feminist and can accept that over your pique that OBAMA WON THE NOMINATION AND CLINTON DIDN'T, you need to grow up. That's what it comes down to.
Dave

If McCain wins it will be because Democrats chose to prop up an inexperienced candidate and the Democratic leadership got away from the principles of our Party and democracy.

Roe v. Wade may be jeopardized if a McCain Presidency appoints conservative justices...however there is no guarantee that once appointed the justices will vote to make abortion illegal and:
The president only has the power to *nominate* Supreme Court justices. All nominations must go through Congress. Alito was confirmed by a Democratic Congress.
Keeping abortion legal does not make me feel I have no other choice...that I must vote for Barack Obama.

And apparently you are unaware of Obama's views on the justices and the court...
Excerpt from article
New York Times
Obama in Senate: Star Power, Minor Role
March 9, 2008

...In the Senate, meanwhile, he was discovering the realities of being a senator — that not every bill is perfect (or perfectly unacceptable) and that most votes required balancing the good and bad. Mr. Obama wanted to vote to confirm John G. Roberts Jr. for the Supreme Court, for example — he thought the president deserved latitude when it came to appointments — but Mr. Rouse advised against it, pointing out that Mr. Obama would be reminded of the vote every time the court made a conservative ruling that he found objectionable.
Finally, on birth control as abortion:
HHS chief denies new rule to attack contraception

Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:59pm EDT

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A widely circulated draft U.S. regulation that would define many forms of contraception as abortion will not be proposed in that form, if at all, Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said on Thursday.

He said the draft, which was denounced by family planning groups, was circulated before he had seen it and would be rewritten.
"The Department is still contemplating if it will issue a regulation or not. If it does, it will be directly focused on the protection of practitioner conscience," Leavitt wrote in his blog...
I don't believe that birth control will be defined as abortion by any administration or court. But even if that were to be an issue...Hillary Clinton is the one championing the cause to battle it and make sure the HHS is held accountable and does not go through with its draft of the proposal. Obama is NOWHERE on this issue...Silent...Doing Nothing. I feel no need to vote for Obama:

Senators Clinton and Murray Call on HHS to Stop Plans to Obstruct Family Planning Services

Washington, DC - U.S. Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) and Patty Murray (D-WA) today called on the Secretary of Health and Human Services to stop misguided plans to put in place new obstacles for women accessing family planning services. This proposed rule change is a poorly-veiled attempt to roll-back women’s health care options before the current Administration leaves office.

D

deleted15807

Go Paris!!!

Saturday's editorial: Paris Hilton, reporting for duty

The results are in and the winner of this week’s great political tussle is…Paris Hilton?

Apparently so. A focus group survey conducted by HCD Research of New Jersey shows that Republicans, Democrats and Independents believe the ditzy celebrity boosted her image with her playful video response to an ad by John McCain’s Republican campaign.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If McCain wins it will be because Democrats chose to prop up an inexperienced candidate and the Democratic leadership got away from the principles of our Party and democracy.

Roe v. Wade may be jeopardized if a McCain Presidency appoints conservative justices...however there is no guarantee that once appointed the justices will vote to make abortion illegal and:
The president only has the power to *nominate* Supreme Court justices. All nominations must go through Congress. Alito was confirmed by a Democratic Congress.
Keeping abortion legal does not make me feel I have no other choice...that I must vote for Barack Obama.

And apparently you are unaware of Obama's views on the justices and the court...
Excerpt from article
New York Times
Obama in Senate: Star Power, Minor Role
March 9, 2008

...In the Senate, meanwhile, he was discovering the realities of being a senator — that not every bill is perfect (or perfectly unacceptable) and that most votes required balancing the good and bad. Mr. Obama wanted to vote to confirm John G. Roberts Jr. for the Supreme Court, for example — he thought the president deserved latitude when it came to appointments — but Mr. Rouse advised against it, pointing out that Mr. Obama would be reminded of the vote every time the court made a conservative ruling that he found objectionable.
Finally, on birth control as abortion:
HHS chief denies new rule to attack contraception

Thu Aug 7, 2008 6:59pm EDT

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A widely circulated draft U.S. regulation that would define many forms of contraception as abortion will not be proposed in that form, if at all, Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said on Thursday.

He said the draft, which was denounced by family planning groups, was circulated before he had seen it and would be rewritten.
"The Department is still contemplating if it will issue a regulation or not. If it does, it will be directly focused on the protection of practitioner conscience," Leavitt wrote in his blog...
I don't believe that birth control will be defined as abortion by any administration or court. But even if that were to be an issue...Hillary Clinton is the one championing the cause to battle it and make sure the HHS is held accountable and does not go through with its draft of the proposal. Obama is NOWHERE on this issue...Silent...Doing Nothing. I feel no need to vote for Obama:

Senators Clinton and Murray Call on HHS to Stop Plans to Obstruct Family Planning Services

Washington, DC - U.S. Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY) and Patty Murray (D-WA) today called on the Secretary of Health and Human Services to stop misguided plans to put in place new obstacles for women accessing family planning services. This proposed rule change is a poorly-veiled attempt to roll-back women’s health care options before the current Administration leaves office.
You live in a delusional world of your own making........though always fun to read

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Go Paris!!!

Saturday's editorial: Paris Hilton, reporting for duty

The results are in and the winner of this week’s great political tussle is…Paris Hilton?

Apparently so. A focus group survey conducted by HCD Research of New Jersey shows that Republicans, Democrats and Independents believe the ditzy celebrity boosted her image with her playful video response to an ad by John McCain’s Republican campaign.

Boosted her image...LoL she reinforces the Ad focusing on celebrity. The ditz is very successful in boosting her image as a ditz.:rolleyes: And?

You live in a delusional world of your own making........though always fun to read

Anytime you are faced with accurate information on Obama you crawl into your own land of delusion. Address the issues and stop name calling.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Boosted her image...LoL she reinforces the Ad focusing on celebrity. The ditz is very successful in boosting her image as a ditz.:rolleyes: And?

Anytime you are faced with accurate information on Obama you crawl into your own land of delusion. Address the issues and stop name calling.
Fact: Obama has been endorsed by Naral and Planned parenthood. The Naral endorsement came during the primary. And here's a youtube video from the former President of the Chicago Chapter of Now, someone with whom Senator Obama worked with closely. Facts are STUBBORN things

YouTube - Barack Obama: Fought for Choice in South Dakota

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

But that's the whole point. It boosted her image. Doesn't matter if someone thinks she's a ditz or not for the next person will think she's a genius. She's a master of taking any situation, negative or positive, and spin it so that she can get more airtime and admiration/hate from people who watch her. She doesn't care if someone thinks she's stupid. To these people, the time in the spotlight is far more important than what someone thinks of them personally.

Never underestimate the power of celebrity. More people on this earth pay attention to that more than they do the facts and all these people get a chance to vote in November too. All of the millions of R Kelly fans don't care if he had sex with an underaged girl. They like him for his music. So no matter what he does when he's not in the studio they don't let it bother them. There's a lot of Obama supporters out there who love his image, and comparing it to the likes of a well known celebrity (no matter how big, small, civil, crazy, smart or stupid) just glorifies him even more. Lord knows I would never compare my opponents to someone who gets more airtime on TV and the press than I did. I'd be more focused on making my opponent more like a commoner and not a showman. Then again, what do I know? I thought the Paris Hilton Ad was funny. Guess that makes me a ditz too. :biggrin1:

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Fact: Obama has been endorsed by Naral and Planned parenthood. The Naral endorsement came during the primary. And here's a youtube video from the former President of the Chicago Chapter of Now, someone with whom Senator Obama worked with closely. Facts are STUBBORN things
YouTube - Barack Obama: Fought for Choice in South Dakota

The issues addressed were raised by Dave NoCal. Roe v. Wade doesn't mean I have no other choice than to vote for Obama and the fact that Hillary Clinton is actually fighting the issue Dave raised on birth control and abortion while Obama is missing in action.

The issue wasn't endorsements...because McCain is Pro-Life. NOW has raised issue with Obama's voting record on choice and protection. Some Groups may have settled for Obama...but that doesn't mean every American voter feels the need to settle.