Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Paris Hilton out of jail

POSTED: 12:04 p.m. EDT, June 7, 2007
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/07/paris.hilton/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Paris Hilton was let out of jail Thursday morning, days after she began serving what was to have been a 45-day sentence for violating probation, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Hilton must wear a monitoring bracelet and remain at her home for another 40 days, said sheriff's department spokesman Steve Whitmore.
Medical considerations "played a part" in the decision to offer Hilton home confinement for the remainder of her sentence, Whitmore said. (Watch Whitmore detail Hilton's deal
)

He said privacy rules prohibited him from giving details about the medical issues, but celebrity Web site TMZ.com earlier quoted sources saying Hilton was refusing to eat much of the jail food served her.
Whitmore said that after "extensive consultation with medical personnel" it was decided to offer Hilton "reassignment" to home confinement, which she and her attorneys accepted. (Watch Hilton enter jail
)

Part of the deal was that her original sentence of 45 days, which had been reduced to 23 days if she showed good behavior behind bars, would be restored to the full length. Although she reported to the jail just before midnight Sunday and departed in the early hours of Thursday, she was given credit for five days, he said. (Blog: Is this a miscarriage of justice?)
Whitmore said the decision to send Hilton home was made by a panel of officials in the sheriff's department, although the judge who sentenced her was advised of the move.

Hilton was arrested on charges of drunken driving in September.
In January, she pleaded no contest to a charge of alcohol-related reckless driving. She was sentenced to three years' probation and had her license suspended.

In February, she was caught driving on a suspended license, which later was ruled a probation violation.

Hilton entered jail Sunday after attending the MTV Movie Awards, where she answered questions from the press and was the subject of host Sarah Silverman's jokes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm not surprised but I am disappointed. I believe this sets a very bad legal precedent.

According to Joy Behar on The View she is taking Valtrex. This could mean one of two things, either she is having a herpes flare up or she has shingles. If it is the latter I can kinda see why they let her out of jail. I think that they were totally wrong to do so as I'm sure there is an infirmary that can handle such illnesses adequately. I've had shingles they are extremely painful and are often complicated by stress. Frankly I'm surprised she didn't have a major anxiety attack.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Con: Please warden, I have sore throat, can I go home now?

Warden: Sure, have a nice day.

Is this setting a new precedent that one can only be sent to 'jail' - health permitting. What's wrong this scenario....

shanehall

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It appears the HILTONS are covered under the american ROYALTY umbrella just as the KENNEDYS are. I dont see a problem with it. It is just the way it is. Too bad, so sad I was not as fortunate to have been born into such a regal family bloodline. We just all have to suck it up and get over it. No big deal.

Shane

SoFla8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What precedent???

She's rich and famous!
She hired doctors to say she's sick (crying all night), and then hired the attorneys to explain the county's possible liability (nervous breakdown, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, etc..) to the Sherriff.

Priviliged, Entitled, and above the law: There's no precedent! She's just the first to make front page news for it.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can't say I'm happy with this decision, but I almost saw this coming.

I almost laughed when I saw the TV news about the prison sentence being reduced from 45 to 23 days retroactively, but after pressure has been put on the law enforcement agencies through the press coverage.

Still, I don't think this is a precedent in the classical sense. I'm no lawyer, but I can't imagine similar efforts will be taken for any average DUI or other minor offense inmate. However, this is another example of how sensitive and delicate an affair law enforcement has become, sensitive to bad press reactions and sensitive to the issues of so-called celebrities, whose influence is based on nothing but obnoxious omnipresence on the media. *END OF RANT*

I stay with my opinion. Give me 2 weeks in a secluded piece of countryside with that bitch, and she'll come out as a different person.

shanehall said:
It appears the HILTONS are covered under the american ROYALTY umbrella just as the KENNEDYS are. I dont see a problem with it. It is just the way it is. Too bad, so sad I was not as fortunate to have been born into such a regal family bloodline. We just all have to suck it up and get over it. No big deal.

Shane

Let me answer to this by forwarding you to an older post of mine.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This does seem to violate the general principle that justice should not only be done, but it should be seen to be done. It's going to be a challenge to spin this affair so that the second part is satisfied.

Of course I'm not qualified to weigh in, as I seem to be missing the hormone which makes normal people instinctively hate the rich and vacuous just, you know, because.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media

I stay with my opinion. Give me 2 weeks in a secluded piece of countryside with that bitch, and she'll come out as a different person.

Claire, you're great!:biggrin1:

Ugh, I knew something like this would happen. But what's this I see on the AOL welcome page? She may be going back to jail?!! I sure hope so!

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
At first I thought it said Paris Hilton sucks a President.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
It's confusing when people get all outraged at the thought of wealthy people getting special treatment, and still remain adamantly opposed to redistributing the wealth that produces the special treatment in the first place.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I can respect Paris for trying to show some maturity about this, considering she hasn't done much of that as it is. She is ready to accept the consequences of her bad behavior, as is appropriate for anyone -- celeb or not -- to do when they knowingly break the rules.

I'm more concerned for how she'll change her ways after the jail time. Two days or twenty-three or whatever, is she going to continue acting like a spoiled bitch or what? I'm skeptical, just like I would be of anyone privileged enough to have Mom or Dad or whomever clean up one's social, legal, etc. messes. The girl's 26. I would've thought by now she would be held liable for her own behavior, but that's me being a little too hopeful, I guess.

Whether or not it'll happen, I don't believe she should get off easy or be allowed to offer pithy excuses. No one needs a publicist to tell them not to drink and drive especially with a suspended license. That's just dumbness. I hope that when her butt's back in court, the judge is going to grant medical intervention for her herpes and keep her in the infirmary. Hell, she's still a lot better than off than most gals in the county jail, right? She's just gotta mind her itchy-gitchy-yaya-dadas for a minute.

submit452

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
They were right I think to give her the House arrest, but why not a fine say of 1 million dollars and possibly a public naked flogging. Yes she's getting special treatment, but most high profile prisoners do from rapists to troublemakers in jail. she should be punished for what she did, but I feel that she's getting special treatment not from the justice system but from the press. The LA sheriff's are in a bind because of what would happen to her if she got killed or beaten up in Jail. There would be a far worse out cry then than now. I feel that she should've gotten house arrest and a large fine to begin with. Drunk Driving is a terrible thing and crime because she could've killed someone but the paparazzi didn't stop her from driving drunk they should have but the police did. We must accept the fact that we live in a society dominated by class and money. It's not good but it is a reality and Celebrities are often given special treatment favorable in this instance and in the example of Winona Ryder sometimes biased and harsh.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They were right I think to give her the House arrest, but why not a fine say of 1 million dollars and possibly a public naked flogging. Yes she's getting special treatment, but most high profile prisoners do from rapists to troublemakers in jail. she should be punished for what she did, but I feel that she's getting special treatment not from the justice system but from the press. The LA sheriff's are in a bind because of what would happen to her if she got killed or beaten up in Jail. There would be a far worse out cry then than now. I feel that she should've gotten house arrest and a large fine to begin with. Drunk Driving is a terrible thing and crime because she could've killed someone but the paparazzi didn't stop her from driving drunk they should have but the police did. We must accept the fact that we live in a society dominated by class and money. It's not good but it is a reality and Celebrities are often given special treatment favorable in this instance and in the example of Winona Ryder sometimes biased and harsh.

Now that's an interesting idea. Have the paparazzi make citizens' arrests. That might work out for all involved.

People do not generally die in jail. You're thinking of prison. Ms. Hilton was sent to jail, not prison. Jail is where they send junkies and drunks, deadbeats who skip out on child support and rack up unpaid parking tickets. These are not very dangerous people for the most part.