Parker Spitzer

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hoss, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Parker Spitzer
    What's the general consensus abut this new program which debuts this evening with Pulitzer Prize winning columnist Kathleen Parker and resigned in disgrace former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer at CNN at 8 p.m. eastern time? Does this program have a chance past the initial curiosity seekers?

2. houtx48

Gold Member

Elliot is like sex on a stick. Don't know what Parker looks like.

3. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Parker is known as a Republican Apostate for her criticism of know-nothing Palinism, her views on climate change and her generally moderate-to-lefty views on many social issues. Fifteen years ago she'd have been a fire-breathing RW dragon lady; today, without a single shift in any position, she's labeled a RINO. Part of her getting this job makes me wonder if Peggy Noonan wasn't quite up to the challenge; they're actually quite similar.

Spitzer's a smart man who let hubris destroy his political career (though he's no John Edwards in that regard): Mr Clean wound up showing a little too much dirt under his fingernails for the New York electorate (unlike Vitter, who's done the same thing, but LA is not NY). I hope he's tempered his zealotry with some humility and pragmatism (maybe Bill Weld can give him some coaching).

The show's success will obviously depend on the sparks and controversies it spreads. That's what those shows are meant to do, and one of the reasons why I haven't watched TV regularly since the 2008 elections. If it shows how two pragmatic and informed moderates can find commonality, it would be a great public service but as dull as watching paint dry.

4. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    not really, we didnt have much of a say in the matter. i think more people would prefer spitzer over paterson (but thats not saying much)

honestly, do any other new yorkers give a shit about where spitzer put his cock? yeah hes a hypocrite... but i woulda fucked her too :)

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I really liked the program a great deal. I thought it was intelligent and entertaining; something that's been missing from CNN. As far as Mr. Spitzer I'm sorry he resigned he was a far better at governing than David Patterson.

6. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I agree with you both. Although I find the title of the show uninspired and vaguely disturbing.

7. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks!! I appreciate the added info about the 2, especially Parker a woman I'd had little previous knowledge of.

I've seen the Paterson difficulty stemming from a few places. He was thrust in a job he likely never expected, even when placed beside Spitzer on the ballot and he came in as Albany and NY state political battles were being waged, and as Mr.Nice (read pushover, which is what I believe Malcolm Smith, Silver (can't recall his 1st name:redface:) and several Democrats were clearly unprepared that he has a spine (at times)). Paterson, I think, was expected to behave the same way that Thomas DiNapoli (Hevesi replacement when Hevesi had to resign) was expected to. DiNapoli at least in the 1st year seemed to be essentially a puppet.

That aside, I think Spitzer would have helped NY had he been able to stay all 4 years.

Why is the title disturbing? It follows things like Hannity & Colmes and Kudlow & Cramer. Maybe placing and between the names would have helped, at least then we'd know there were 2 hosts, other than that the title seems fine, even if the show fails.

8. Empathizer

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Would you like it better as "Parker Swallow Zimm?"

9. LambHair McNeil

The CNN network prez that conceived this show, Jonathan Klein, was ousted about 2 weeks ago. His job was to conceptualize a show that can make inroads against Olbermann and O'Reilly - not an easy task. If ratings start out poorly and stay there, that will make it easier to axe the program...after all, the show's "protector" is gone and CNN can lay the blame for the turkey (in this negative scenario) at his long-gone feet and move on.

To what, only heaven knows, but move on...

10. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

Sorry, private joke. But there are peeps who'll read this who'll get it; it's a couple of letters off.

I'll explain when I see you in a couple of weeks. :wink:

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Oh color me blonde... I just got it.

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

:biggrin1:

13. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Me too I'm a little slow.

14. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

They've been hyping the show for weeks and it's been driving me a little crazy. :wink:

15. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm more confused than ever!!

16. got_lost

Gold Member

Well heavens above I got it straight away! :rolleyes:

No idea what show you're on about though! :cool:

:wall:

17. Empathizer

Verified Gold Member

Albums: