Parking Law Question

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Harry Bacque, Feb 9, 2011.

1. D_Harry Bacque

D_Harry Bacque New Member

I have a neighbor whose been pissing me off lately. He owns two cars and has them parked back to back on the corner. When he wants to leave and use one car, he pulls the other back to hog both spaces until he gets home. There was an article on Yahoo today about it being illegal in New York City (Where I live) to reserve a space by putting objects such as garbage cans as some people do. I don't see how what he's doing is much different.

I'm usually a pretty calm guy, but the streets in Queens are so bad with snow right now that what he's doing has me to the point where I want to put a rock in his window. Do you think I could get his car towed for this or is there no law about taking up too much space on a regular block with no predefined lines for spaces?

2. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

four flat tires ought to give him a hint. I don't know if that law or a local custom. BTW, what's snow?

3. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Well, that all depends on the type of residence you are at, I think; if you own, and he takes up your section of the space, then clearly he's trespassing, and parking illegally . Best suggestion? Don't touch his car physically, that'd be destruction of private property. Instead, learn to time his arrivals and departures, and if need be, get some of this on tape so you can "convince him" not to do this. After that, go swear out a complaint.

4. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Call the city and ask them. Also you can just let air out of his tires so he has a flat without doing permanent damage. You can also take out enough air so he can still ride on the tires he might not notice they are low, but it will fuck up the tires and ruin them.

5. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

If he is parking end to end as you say then one of his cars is parked illegally. To be parked legal (at least here in SC) your car has to be facing in the direction of the flow of traffic for which side of the street you are parked on.

6. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    This calls for a close pass with a set of keys

7. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I would never say set fire to the one that's left!

Bump it, or move it along. That's how they park in France or Spain - including horizontally over 3 parking lanes.

Just talk to him.

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    What a novel idea!!! Who woulda thunk it?

9. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

Avoid petty vandalism at all costs. Talk to the guy, if that gets you nowhere then contact a local police station and ask their advice.

10. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'd guess talking to him probably wouldn't go well. My gut tells me that a guy who goes through the trouble of saving the parking spots likes he does would get upset or be offended if you brought it up to him. Still, it's the next best option to ignoring it.

As for a law, I'm pretty sure there is a minimum distance you can park near a corner/intersection, and I think there are two distances depending on which side of street you are parked on (I believe it is for firetrucks to get through easier).

11. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Yeah, and then a warrant for your arrest for destruction of property

Geezie Laweezie, don't do this unless you value keeping your car.

Yeah, dig it, a guy who goes outta his way to go through this doesn't appeal to me as the reasoning type of fellow. Well, at least not after once. After he hears you but doesn't listen, then call the locals and get their input, and if ned be, get one over there and confront him. Better than you doing it and possibly getting jail time.

12. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    If it's street parking in an unzoned public area he can park where ever he wants. I am puzzled how he can actually hold 2 spaces. If he moves the 2nd car back or forward 2 feet, presuming there's a hydrant near there or other reason parking isn't legal (driveway), there is still a chance to bring in a motorcylce, even 2 in front & back which takes away his space. Try that a few times he'll get the idea & ffind a new place for hs 2nd car.

In places where there aren't any legal restrictions in front or back, as other cars pull in & out there will be created spaces. You see it all the tme, a driver leaves with a 3 foot space in back and the same in front. The next car in front leaves, a new car enters and pulls its rear bumper up to within an inch. Right there that extra space disappears.

Ask at the local p.d. if there's any violation

If it's a policeman's car or in his family or a politician then you haven't a chance.

Lastly don't vandalize in any way. People and cities have videocameras & may film it all which lands you in jail.

13. JF

JF
    Gold Member

... lives of those he kills / maims / injures when he loses control of his car and runs into a crowded bus.

Whether this suggestion was made in jest or as a serious proposal, even mentioning doing something like that shows crass stupidity at the very least. This is quite possibly the most stupid thing I've ever seen posted here.

But back to the OP - I'd suggest speaking to the guy himself, or failing that some local officials, to see if there is any amicable way this can be resolved.

14. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I love how you decide to pick on this instead of the people who said slash his tires of key his car. Just so you know letting the air out of a tire or two will not cause a car to go out of control. I once drove an hour of two on a tire with only 10 to 15 pounds of pressure (instead of 30-35) because of a slow leak and I didn't even know it, and I used a can of fix-a-flat and everything was fine.

Have a day.

15. JF

JF
    Gold Member

Neither of those covertly alter the handling of the vehicle - slashed tyres will be be abundantly obvious and keying the car does not affect performance or safety. Any form of vandalism is reprehensible, however your suggestion is potentially deadly. Since no one was stupid enough to suggest cutting his brakes, what else would any sane person 'pick on' ?

It very much depends on how you drive and the road conditions. Since the local streets are 'so bad with snow right now' unknowingly having partially-inflated tyres would hardly improve the already hazardous driving situation.

Your suggestion was, and continues to be, stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted