Partisan politics and corruption; business as usual

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Mar 13, 2007.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

This is no big surprise. There are serious problems in the Department of Justice. I'm not surprised, either, that the slimey Attorney General claims no knowledge of the political games played in this little debacle.

Gonzales: 'Mistakes were made' in U.S. attorneys' firings - CNN.com

It's sad and it's sickening. Am I the only one tired of these kinds of games?

2. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

Sorry. these games are part and parcel of politics at every level and have been since Washington was inagurated.

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Yes. So let's just excuse the behavior instead of decrying it.

That's the answer.

Next shall we expect you to support transferring priests who molest boys to other parishes rather than throwing them in jail?

What aren't you willing to excuse? Or accept?

4. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

That's the beauty of Democracy and the 2 party system. No matter what you do, the other guys are going to decry it as the worst travesty in history , the likes of which we've never seen!! Keeps the other guys in check. SO do elections.

I am willing to excuse a new administration firing US attorney's that aren't on board with the program. Happens all the time.
    Now, if it went beyond that , I'll have a different opnion. But I don't know that it has.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Hence my aversion to partisan politics. Many have accused me of being a supporter of the democrats. I hope you never make that mistake.
    If it is unethical, illegal, and immoral, why do you excuse it just because it happens all the time? Firing ALL the US Attorneys? You really must be kidding me if you think that's OK. It is unprecedented, and should not go without comment. Those involved in questionable firings should be fired themselves.

I agree with Lex's assessment. Priests molest youngsters. Happens all the time. I'm OK with it as long as it is not an extraordinary circumstance. No, JQ, I don't think so.

If we don't demand better in government, we won't get better in government. Those corrupt idiot assholes need to be told that it is not longer going to be tolerated.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Abu Gonzalez with egg on his face yet again. Not a good week for the Justice Department in light of the revelations about the FBI.

US Attorneys with a history of prosecuting corrupt Republicans get fired under questionable circumstances. Payback? Nah. Happens all the time.

7. RideRocket

Gold Member

Unfortunately the media gets involved in politics instead of being objective and reporting the news. Save the commentary for the editorials. When Clinton took office he fired ALL of the US Attorney's at the time - where was the scandal? The congressional investigation? The outcry? Where was Senator Chuck Schumer? Interesting that no mention of that tidbit of information didn't make it into mainstream news articles. Talk about "political motivation."

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    US Attorneys serve terms of 4 years and are re-appointed or let go at the end of that term. So, of course no scandal.

Also, Gonzalez has already apologized for the way the firings took place and has admitted mistakes were made. Attorneys General don't usually apologize for their actions unless there is a fuck up. For years he wasn't even aware of what his own chief of staff was planning behind the scenes.

9. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Yes, where? Are you posting this to excuse the current administration for corrupt practices, just because a previous administration engaged in the same corrupt practices? That's a dangerous and not-too-bright way to view our government.

It does not matter if they are republicrats or democans, we have to stop saying "they did it first" and start saying "this is just not acceptable." I don't know why that's such a difficult concept.

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Some find it hard to disagree with family members and friends. Not I.

11. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

It's a difficult concept because of human nature.

Politics makes otherwise rational people irrational.

The same people who decried the endless investigations and monsterization of Clinton are now doing the same thing to Bush.

It's not enough to say they disagree with their positions. No,no,no , <[Clinton/Bush] did everything for all kinds of nefarious reasons,worthy of a Bond villain.

12. Full_Phil

Full_Phil New Member

It boggles the mind to imagine how humans could be, and what they could accomplish, if the need for retaliation and desire for retribution did not exist.

13. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I absolutely do agree with that.
    Alright, let's dredge up some decades-old history. Clinton was impeached because he lied to the Whitewater Special Prosecutor (whose sole task was to investigate possibly improper land deals; he found nothing) when asked about his sex life. You are right, Clinton lied. He should have just said "None of your fucking business about my sex life. Ask what you will about Whitewater." What else did he do that was impeachable? And did it affect our national security?

Bush, on the other hand, has lied repeatedly to the Congress and the American people, about various issues, including, but not limited to, our involvement in Iraq and possible future involvement in Iran. The NSA. The FBI. His administration routinely "doctors and edits" OIG semi-annual reports to the Congress, before they are presented to the Congress. The OIGs don't have the balls to stand up to him, so their reports are useless. All of this DOES affect national security, but since no out-of-wedlock bumping uglies is involved, the House and Senate don't have the balls to call him on it.

But you are right, Clinton was a horrible monster. Now that he's gone, the stock market is ever so much better. And I promise I won't misunderestimate what a wonderful guy we have in the Oval Office now. So pardon me, I have to go put food on my family.

14. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

Uh, I think you outed yourself mr non-partisan. I knew you were a phoney liberal in disguise.

1. It was NOT Ken Starr's sole task to innvestigate improper land deals.
    2. Bush did not lie to Congress about Iraq. Toatl horseshit and you are one of the left wing liars who contiually pimp that outright lie.
    3, He did not" lie to congress " about the NSA program. that was classified information properly not disclosed.
    4. I have no idea wht you're referring to in doctoring OIG reports but it is most likely some tripe you read on some lefty blog.

15. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Just because someone has liberal views does not make them partisan.

You really need to open your eyes (or shut the fuck up). Or both.

16. B_JQblonde

B_JQblonde New Member

Yeah sure.

YOu liberals wouldn't vote for a Republican if they promised to eliminate the tolls on 95 .

17. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Yes, and you closeted, conservative (read: repressed) fags/drunks/addicts/adulterers would not come out of the closet if you got extra tax breaks and increased profit sharing to do so.

18. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Whenever I start to think that people can't really be this blind/stupid, someone like this comes along and reminds me that its not only possible, but pervasive in numbers massive enough to precipitate our present govermental cesspool.

Thanks, JQ, for bringing us all back down to reality.

You're not even close to being the only one sick of this. True, our political system has always suffered some degree of corruption or another, but in no administration in living history has it been so egregious and pervasive as with our current one. Much of the blame can be laid directly at the president's feet, results of his blatany cronyism.

I love Schumer's recent interview:
    Attorney General Gonzalez is a nice man, but he either doesn't accept or doesn't understand that he is no longer just the president's lawyer, but has a higher obligation to the rule of law and the Constitution even when the president should not want it to be so.

Basically, we have a guy in the AG seat who used to be governor Georgie's personal attorney and was rewarded with appointments to state offices and courts for his loyal performances. Like Pavlov's dog, could anyone really have expected him to behave in any other fashion now that he's been handed the biggest of rewards? Of course not...but we should have. His job is to defend the laws of this land, even if it meant securing them against transgression by his assclown of a boss. Instead, he's actively participated in a conspiracy to subvert not only our own constitution, but our participation in international law as well.

Resignation? No, this guy needs a conviction and prison sentence of his own.

19. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    True. Starr's investigation meandered all over the place for years and turned up nothing until the Lewinski non-issue landed in his lap by luck and the perfidy of Linda Tripp.

The rush to war over the imminent threat of Saddam's WMDs and his links with al Qaeda were just an honest mistake. It was a slam dunk case, see? Bush apologists keep on pimping that lie.

Lied? No, he just neglected to use proper legally established procedure and didn't say anything about it. I guess Bush and Gonzalez found the old ways "quaint" and just decided to ignore them.

20. madame_zora

Gold Member

Uh, that's brilliant, except that I have.:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted