Partner's mood swings - how do you deal?

BBCP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
While I don't have much experience with women (zero in relationships) I do have experience with being the partner with extreme mood swings. I was diagnosed with borderline-personality disorder about 10 years ago, and when I forget my medication or get really stressed I can be set off with the slightest thing, and the person who can do it the fastest is usually my partner (or my mother, which is why I don't answer the phone when she calls and I'm in a mood).

Over the years I've learned to tell when an episode is coming on, and I generally am able to warn people that it's not a good time to bother me. Let me sit alone in my office with my door closed and do whatever activity it is I've chosen to fill my time. If someone or thing ELSE sets me off, and I need to vent, I make sure that my partner, who is getting the brunt of my wrath, knows I'm just venting.

For my partner, the best thing they can do is actually follow my wishes. Also, though, they need to call me on my actions if I don't warn them. The result is usually the same. I'll look at how I feel and if it's really that uncontrollable side I'll tell them "You're right, I'll be in my room, don't bother me" or I'll tell them what's really wrong, if I really am just being obnoxious.

Short version, you need to communicate. It also wouldn't hurt to find a sympathetic (probably female) MD or gynecologist. Uterine issues affect all of the women in my family, and what you're describing fits very closely to what I've seen with my mother and 2 nieces. I also have a good friend who exhibits similar symptoms. All of them have had the same issue, severe endometriosis. Best of luck to you man!

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
My wife usually has a monthly PMS-related mood swing that lasts about 5 days when she can be testy and crabby for no reason. Sometimes she'll apologize or give me a head's up that that is what is going on, since I'm usually oblivious to the timing of each cycle and am caught off guard by the general unpleasantness. When I am aware it's that time, I'll give her leeway or otherwise give her a break, because I know it is not her real self. When I'm clued into what is going on, it makes it easier all around. Usually, as soon as her period starts, it all gets better almost instantaneously.

About every 3 months or so, she'll have a pretty bad PMS episode, and there's nothing really I can do other than weather through the misery and help the kids steer clear of behavior that's going to set her off. Often, she'll apologize afterwards, and I'll say, yeah, you're forgiven. Until the next time. But, the bad feelings from my end will linger on for a day or 2.

It's amazing how closely this and many of the other responses are to our situation. The way Manly describes herself hits very close to home as well.

These answers help me a lot because she continually blames me for her behavior during this time, and hearing that other people have the same behavior suggests it probably isn't me. I go out of my way to be careful during this time. Last night, she said, "Why don't you just try to change yourself? That's the best solution," to me. And then, "I'm thinking these things all month, but I'm only strong enough to say them during this time of the month." At that point I literally just told her she was being cruel and, unfortunately, in an emotional outburst I did what everyone here recommended I not do: I talked about her PMS.

There's something going on with her hormonally, obviously. Some information I didn't share is that she has pretty significant bleeding just before PMS as well as a heavy flow during her period. And yeah, she seems to have this cycle where a few months will pass where PMS isn't that bad, and then there's a couple of nightmare months (this is month two of that this time around).

So anyway, I brought it up. I told her that I didn't think she really wanted to say those things, and that the PMS-induced anger is leading her to say cruel things to me, the only person she feels secure enough with to be that way towards. While this was certainly a terrible idea on my part (because she remained cruel and vindictive, suggesting that I should just divorce her if I think that, for example), it did lead to something good. She suggested going to a doctor after this period is over, describing the whole thing together and having herself checked up. Despite the mean things she was saying and her anger, I was so relieved to hear her say that. And she meant it.

The advice a lot of you have given is very helpful. We made a stop yesterday and she actually got Calcium + Vit D pills--she'd been wanting to take them anyway, so we'll see if it makes a difference.

But some of you have suggested either birth control or other medication as a solution. At the very least, seeing a doctor. A good friend of mine advised me to make her an appointment with a doctor this week and take her, making it about her and taking care of her. I think that's good advice. And now that I know she actually wants to go, I certainly will do that. I just hope that she someday realizes I've been doing this specifically because I don't want a divorce over it (because, in a few months if this continues, that's where we'll be headed).

This morning she's been taking it out on the cat. Continually picking up our poor cat who hates to be picked up, getting scratched and then yelling at the cat for getting scratched. The thing is, while she realizes when she's having PMS issues, she for some reason doesn't own it. She blames the cat or she blames me for reacting to it. I'll be hiding at the office (on a Sunday before a holiday Monday) as a result today.

I guess the good thing is that I've really learned how to see one of her "traps" from a mile away by now. It's like her head cocks to one side and she goes, "What do you think of that?" Unfortunately I haven't found the answer that always prevents me from falling into her trap. For example, yesterday she asked me about retirement funds and whether I think she needs two, and I said, "I'm not sure, we should do some research." Turns out the "right" answer was "yes" because she had already made up her mind that she wanted two. How the fuck was I supposed to know that? I wasn't. It was a trap. I even saw it coming. I'm fairly smart, but I guess my answer should have been "what do you think?" And then just agreement that her idea was great. I'm trying that now. We'll see.

Well, I'm disappointed. I thought this thread would address partners of either sex who were moody - not just women.

Unfortunately, I have dealt with moody men. Constantly walking on eggshells around them, afraid that I might set them off and they'll go stomping off in a huff. I wish it were confined to one week a month!

I see no reason this isn't a similar situation that should be handled in a similar manner, LaFemme. I've personally had issues with anger (not that bad, but getting in moods where I'm just pissy) and recognized that it's my problem to deal with either on my own or with criticism. Just like a woman should own her PMS mood swings and get them handled one way or the other, men's mood swings are the same.

Some men (and women) have serious rage issues. I've got a friend with major, debilitating rage issues. He couldn't be with someone for a long time without getting enraged. Medication didn't work, but he discovered at some point that if he focused that aggressive energy into working out, it fixed him. Kind of funny, but you'd think, "Oh no, a guy with rage issues who is now uber-strong physically." But no, now he's uber-strong physically but basically free of rage issues. Fortunately he owned them and fixed it.

Solution isn't the same for everyone. If I find myself getting into a funk where I'm going to be irrationally angry, I go out of my way to control myself. I'll put myself in a time out away from someone I might hurt emotionally. I think a lot of us "normal" people experiencing such a mood swing will do that. Not everyone can, though.

I hate when people treat moodiness (PMS-related or not) as some kind of character flaw that the person has full control over. That person probably doesn't have control over it or it wouldn't be happening. That doesn't free him or her of responsibility to control it, but it does mean that there needs to be some kind of help from an outside source, be it medication, a counselor, a friend, a loved one, physical exercise, a hobby, whatever, to fix it.

One of the reasons I think men get away with it (and women get away with it during PMS) is precisely because people blame them for their own behavior and consider it a character flaw. But at least with women on PMS, we can point to hormones and say, "Hey, a doctor might be able to help." For moody men, that doesn't really happen. You meet and get involved with a moody man and a lot of people go, "I can't put up with his temper" rather than "a doctor might be able to help". It reminds me of "Anger Management", which seems to treat it like a personality disorder. Why couldn't it be hormones? Or depression? Turns out it often is!

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I feel you. I've had to deal with that. Of course, I dealt with it by issuing an ultimatum to them to treat me better or gtfo.

...tellingly, they always took the gtfo option... :s

Still, I think a delightful person like you is better of being spectacular on her own than being miserable with a miserable boyfriend.

Aw...*blush*, thank you! I don't know how delightful I am, but I am quite even tempered, even if passionate (if that makes sense). I prefer to talk things through as opposed to letting things build or getting defensive.

My most recent experience involved a man who was fine as long as I followed a very complicated set of unspoken rules. Should I breach the rules, I would be punished by silence, or withdrawal of affection. Sometimes the weirdest things would set him off, and sometimes it frightened me. I found myself walking on eggshells, until finally I just ended it. I love him dearly, but cannot function like that.

The second man is related to me. I have no choice but keep him in my life. Weird things set him off, too.

I'm thinking of adding Prozac to the water......

One of the reasons I think men get away with it (and women get away with it during PMS) is precisely because people blame them for their own behavior and consider it a character flaw. But at least with women on PMS, we can point to hormones and say, "Hey, a doctor might be able to help." For moody men, that doesn't really happen. You meet and get involved with a moody man and a lot of people go, "I can't put up with his temper" rather than "a doctor might be able to help". It reminds me of "Anger Management", which seems to treat it like a personality disorder. Why couldn't it be hormones? Or depression? Turns out it often is!

@Guy-jin
I agree with what you're saying. I am trying to help the man I'm related to get help with his moodiness. When he's in a good mood, he's wonderful - loving, kind, helpful. When he's not - he is angry, dark, defensive, resentful. All I can do is encourage him to seek help, whether it be a doctor, psychologist etc.

With the first man, I wanted more than anything for him to be aware that he needed help. I begged him to seek help. Even read a book that I thought might provide some self awareness. I can't tell you how many nights I cried myself to sleep, knowing that he could have a happier life (hopefully with me), if he just reached out a hand for help. But as time when on, he just started closing off to me, until I realized that I was afraid to talk about anything real anymore. He would never get help. There would be no happy ending. He would never take responsiblity for himself. And I do think it was depression that caused the moodiness.

Last edited:

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I h ave an EX who is bi-polar and we didn't know it at the time. Some days I never knew who would be waiting for me when I got home from work. The nice boyfriend, or Satan. Eventually it destroyed the relationship, though we remain friends today. My current partner is moody sometimes, and can be fairly unpleasant for no real reason. Most of the time it is stress related to his adult children continuing to act like adolescents. They tend to have a lot of drama swirling around them and try to drag him into it. When it isn't that and he's just being a bitch, I find ignoring him works really well.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I h ave an EX who is bi-polar and we didn't know it at the time. Some days I never knew who would be waiting for me when I got home from work. The nice boyfriend, or Satan. Eventually it destroyed the relationship, though we remain friends today. My current partner is moody sometimes, and can be fairly unpleasant for no real reason. Most of the time it is stress related to his adult children continuing to act like adolescents. They tend to have a lot of drama swirling around them and try to drag him into it. When it isn't that and he's just being a bitch, I find ignoring him works really well.

I feel for you on the bi-polar issue. Undiagnosed is a true nightmare for everyone who loves that person. Even diagnosed, until that person gets stabilized, it's a rocky road. At least the two of you are still friends - I think that's really great. You must be a good person! :smile:

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My most recent experience involved a man who was fine as long as I followed a very complicated set of unspoken rules. Should I breach the rules, I would be punished by silence, or withdrawal of affection.

See, I think you deserve better than that. As far as I'm concerned, as many rules as possible should be made explicit - especially if they're going to cause consternation on either partner's part. I mean, there's nothing wrong with asking someone to follow a complicated set of rules, but your partner should have the chance to give their explicit consent to those rules - and to withdraw consent if they find it's not working for them. Otherwise you end up feeling resentful and confused, right?

Of course, it's easy to say that when you're not in a confusing relationship...

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
My sister has an insane temper at times, and a near obsessive need to control others. It drives me batty sometimes, so I either zone out or run away when she flips out.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
See, I think you deserve better than that. As far as I'm concerned, as many rules as possible should be made explicit - especially if they're going to cause consternation on either partner's part. I mean, there's nothing wrong with asking someone to follow a complicated set of rules, but your partner should have the chance to give their explicit consent to those rules - and to withdraw consent if they find it's not working for them. Otherwise you end up feeling resentful and confused, right?

Of course, it's easy to say that when you're not in a confusing relationship...

You are right as usual, my darling friend! I'm so glad you're Canadian, too. I think we rep our country well! :hug:

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Running away does seem to be the easiest "solution". :smile:

Running away for a little bit does seem to give me the necessary distance so that I don't react so defensively/rebelliously to all the control/anger. I can usually tell if my stomach goes in knots when she starts a tirade that I had better make like an exorcism and get the hell outta there for a bit so I myself don't go overboard :wink::smile:

I understand it must be different in a marriage/partnership, however. Sometimes you can't really run away, I imagine.

Last edited:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
trips to the grocery store.
i've actually garbage disposal'd an entire head of lettuce just to get out of the house.

"ohno!! we so need salad fixin's for dinner.... i'll back *koff*inafewhours*koff*"

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I feel for you on the bi-polar issue. Undiagnosed is a true nightmare for everyone who loves that person. Even diagnosed, until that person gets stabilized, it's a rocky road. At least the two of you are still friends - I think that's really great. You must be a good person! :smile:

Thanks ! It was a difficult time and honestly, there were times when I just wanted to bash him in the head with something. Medication has helped, but there are times when I have to take a hard line with him and get in his face. He knows when that happens, he's out of line and he needs to step back and look at things he's said or done.

I think my current partner has a bit of a personality disorder, and it causes issues between us sometimes. Once in a while I have to remind him that the sun doesn't rise or set based on his self perceived glory. I think there is just a bit too much narcissism for me.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I am guessing, Guy, because you are logical and analytical that you are disturbed by the comment of her only being able to confront you when she is in this situation and that therefore, there are reasons for the behaviour beneath or behind the hormonal effects. Perhaps it is more like a drunk sounding off on the effects of alcohol and shouldn't be taken too seriously, though should be noted.

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
PMS is ruining my life. My SO goes literally insane for nearly one whole week of each month. I can only have so much sympathy as I get screamed at for literally anything and everything. I wake up to an onslaught of hugs and kisses and five minutes later it's like a re-enactment of the exorcist because I didn't hug back enough or i hugged back too much. I give her a ride to an appointment and get screamed at for being too early.

Anyone else experienced being with someone who has exceptional mood swings (during PMS or otherwise)? How do you handle it?

At ths point I'm considering a monthly fishing trip. No, I don't fish.
Welcome to married life or the life after.
You just haven't realized that during those moments she's always right and you're always wrong.
Going for a long fishing trip works well too but I've learned to take the direct route and sauce mine up with 4 or 5 shots of liquor.
C.

p.s. If all else fails sprinkle some holy water on her and run.

Last edited:

bobo9

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I weathered 20 some years of these behaviours from my wife thinking she was a certified nutcase but finally realized the patterns were cyclical.
I took it in the ear many, many times and bit back many times also.
Sheesh, during her threats of divorce I have even told her I wouldn't divorce her until she had a full psychological evaluation.:redface:
A while back she "went off" on me big time and yet I took it like a good husband 'tho I LOVE to fight!
A couple of days later she asks me "I was really cruel to you wasn't I?"
I said "Yes, you were".
Thankfully, that opened her eyes to what was happening and she ACTUALLY took to heart the suggestions I had been making over many months to try some herbals to counter the affects.
My saviour has been Evening Primrose Oil and Hormone Essentials for her and we can both tell when she runs out or stops taking them.
I can hardly tell when she's going to cycle anymore.
Fascinating thread! Thanks Guy-jin!

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Evening Primrose did help me. It is a wildflower where I live, so I just grew it. The seeds look like black mustard seed and are crunchy and delicious.

Soy products helped sometimes. Getting rid of PVC dishes that leach false estrogens helped (that's tupperware). At other times of the month, yams, a natural souce of progesterones, helped better.

Menopause helped the most. It's like I was born again out of a great nightmare!

I too have lived with bipolar partners. Most important for that is to keep a regular schedule, not to give in to the temptation of skimping on sleep and food during the manic phase, or in the down phase either. Ex's bipolar was unresponsive to any of the many meds he'd tried so he was forced to fall back on common sense...