Partner's mood swings - how do you deal?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PMS is ruining my life. My SO goes literally insane for nearly one whole week of each month. I can only have so much sympathy as I get screamed at for literally anything and everything. I wake up to an onslaught of hugs and kisses and five minutes later it's like a re-enactment of the exorcist because I didn't hug back enough or i hugged back too much. I give her a ride to an appointment and get screamed at for being too early.

Anyone else experienced being with someone who has exceptional mood swings (during PMS or otherwise)? How do you handle it?

At ths point I'm considering a monthly fishing trip. No, I don't fish.

You can try to reason with her and explain her behavior, but being the era of the error free female, she is unlikely to take responsibility... and will assume you are exaggerating some male stereotype.

Ask her permission to set up a video or audio recorder to capture her in these moments... then wait a week and play it back to her... in a moment of calm reason.

When the hormones are not raging, she is more likely to comprehend the effect of her behavior on you and on your relationship...
And perhaps she will be willing to see a doctor about the effects of her hormonal swings.

But most important is to come at it from the perspective of being concerned about the long term effect on your relationship. The exaggerated frustrations she experiences thru unreasonable expectations she places upon you are things she is internalizing as "true" experiences, and they have a shaping effect on her overall understanding of you and your behavior.

Over time these build resentment that will leach into her overall opinion of you, and sour even those times of the month she is not PMSing.

So make it about more than your feeling being hurt, but the health of your long term relationship...

Maybe start off by telling her that you are growing to be afraid of her emotional state, and that that leads to you avoiding her entirely.

Like a variation of the old saw... "behind every successful man there is a woman."
Behind every other successful man there is a woman he is staying late at the office to avoid.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Alternatively, you could just move out one week a month. Wait for the white smoke to come up.

Are there shelters for men in such circumstances?

Yes- its spelled M i s t r e s s...

of course, many nomadic cultures just used to shut a woman up in a hut for a week.... feminists think it was about patriarchal hangups over the "bleeding"...
More likely it was just to make village life more livable.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You can try to reason with her and explain her behavior, but being the era of the error free female, she is unlikely to take responsibility... and will assume you are exaggerating some male stereotype.

hey ladies!!! misogyny is so the cure for PMS!

in place of thank you cards and flowers Mr. Ayesho has requested donating the cash equivalent to several charities he holds dear...

The International Society of "You Silly Woman" Anachronist
The American Male Association of Penis Knows Best
The Heyday of Sexism Re-Enactment Players
Farmington Stove Chain Man-ufactures

Over time these build resentment that will leach into her overall opinion of you, and sour even those times of the month she is not PMSing.

PMS manageable with home spun CBT. knowing ya being bitchy, making an effort to not be bitchy

PMDD medical condition requiring medical intervention.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
The smart nomads told her that she had to stay in a hut, then all quietly slipped away.

But not to be too flippant, I do sympathise with Guy a lot. What should you do when you face the prospect of a quarter of your life being made miserable and then it impacting the rest as well? I know what my instinctive reaction would be, but than I am not Guy.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The smart nomads told her that she had to stay in a hut, then all quietly slipped away.

But not to be too flippant, I do sympathise with Guy a lot. What should you do when you face the prospect of a quarter of your life being made miserable and then it impacting the rest as well? I know what my instinctive reaction would be, but than I am not Guy.

dose her morning coffee with Thorazine?
:smile:

using the down time to shift all your valuables to a safe location.
:tongue1:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
you're life support for ya wondrous cock, Mr. Drifterwood. of course you're listed near to the top of any inventory list.

Last edited:

kjguy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
ha, damn my last girlfriend was crazy as hell! Besides being a woman, she was taking some kind of medication. All of her emotions were just so intense, I didn't know how to respond!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

hey ladies!!! misogyny is so the cure for PMS!

Not sure what you are suggesting is misogyny.... The Proven fact that some women experience drastic hormonally related mood swings during which they may behave in ways that can be abusive.

Or is it the suggestion that anytime a man suggests a woman might be responsible for behaving badly that he's, oh, say, accused of misogyny?

Yeah... way to prove my point for me, thanks.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not sure what you are suggesting is misogyny.... The Proven fact that some women experience drastic hormonally related mood swings during which they may behave in ways that can be abusive.

Or is it the suggestion that anytime a man suggests a woman might be responsible for behaving badly that he's, oh, say, accused of misogyny?

Yeah... way to prove my point for me, thanks. :wink::biggrin1:

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight

No, it's the suggestion that "Yeah, that's just how women are. If anyone says any different, or has a differing opinion, it's misogyny." That, IMO is an attitude that is ignorant at best, more honestly, rather misogynistic.

Your remark about living in the era of the error free female was beyond the pale, however. THAT was sexist and misogynistic.

What would you have said if one of us suggested we were living in the era of the asshole male? Or made a crack about men being dogs? You'd probably have been pissed off.

No one is denying the power of hormones and both PMS and PMDD. What most are saying is that there IS a solution other than just taking it. Finding the proper way to deal with the situation, and the OP to let his wife know that there's a problem here. That's all.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Your remark about living in the era of the error free female was beyond the pale, however. THAT was sexist and misogynistic.

I don't agree. Phil is a smart guy and he has every right post his generalised observations. Of course he is not correct with everyone, but I imagine that if he wished, he could post a whole series of examples.

Observing that societal morality produces certain behaviours is not the same as misogyny, in the same way perhaps that MR's observations about a single man with, in her view, entitlement issues and Helga's concerns on male on female violence is not misandrist.

I appreciate that the women members can get unwanted dumbass straight male harassment, but it would be a shame if this allowed a PC bunker mentality that precluded any discussion about certain types of behaviour. I don't see the world as sugar and spice vs. slugs and snails. Do you?

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I don't agree. Phil is a smart guy and he has every right post his generalised observations. Of course he is not correct with everyone, but I imagine that if he wished, he could post a whole series of examples.

Observing that societal morality produces certain behaviours is not the same as misogyny, in the same way perhaps that MR's observations about a single man with, in her view, entitlement issues and Helga's concerns on male on female violence is not misandrist.

I appreciate that the women members can get unwanted dumbass straight male harassment, but it would be a shame if this allowed a PC bunker mentality that precluded any discussion about certain types of behaviour. I don't see the world as sugar and spice vs. slugs and snails. Do you?

Yes.

However, MR didn't imply that ALL men were entitled pigs. Neither did Helga state that male on female violence is the only violence exists in the world.

My problem with What Phil said was about the "error free FEMALE," implying that a woman gets a free pass, even when she's wrong.

I was also offended by the remark about women being shunned while they were having their cycle, and understanding why it was a good thing.

It seems to imply a dirtiness, and something wrong about being a woman. It also suggests that if a woman is having hormonal issues such as PMS or PMDD, that there is something wrong with her on a level that's deeper than something getting tests and treatment for.

The real problem, and this isn't merely a men's issue, a woman's issue, or a relationship issue, is that MOST people nowadays have a viscious sense of entitlement and narcissism, and that if someone doesn't agree with them, then it's on. The other person's the one with the problem. Which we've all done, even on here.

Just an aside, it was said in another thread that half or more of the reports the mods get for trolling are not really trolling, they're simple instances of another poster disagreeing with them, and reporting it as trolling.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I have scrolling through this thread specifically to see if anyone mentioned Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. That's the first thing I thought of when I read your post, Guy-jin. Lol. Definitely something to ask the doctor about specifically, imo.

Was her hormone test done via blood or saliva? Lots and lots of doctors are saying that saliva tests are the way to go now. Blood tests show what's 'left over' of the hormones while saliva will show what you actively have running in your system. Most endocrinologists support blood tests as that's basically what their field does, but most of the doctors and nurses I know say go for the saliva test. Only problem is, most insurances won't cover a saliva test. I agree that any testing probably needs to be done while she's on her period anyway. Good luck!
I don't think it's "classic" PMDD though. The way it happens every few months as opposed to every month, for example. And the irregular cycle (for example, she started bleeding four days early this month and had very light, practically nonexistent PMS symptoms). Something more is going on. The hormone test was a blood test, and it was about two days after her period, so it really wasn't that meaningful.

Ask her permission to set up a video or audio recorder to capture her in these moments... then wait a week and play it back to her... in a moment of calm reason.

When the hormones are not raging, she is more likely to comprehend the effect of her behavior on you and on your relationship...
And perhaps she will be willing to see a doctor about the effects of her hormonal swings.

First off, the whole idea of "era of the error free female" and your suggestion that she is therefore "unlikely to take responsibility" certainly could be (and apparently is being) construed as misogyny, so I think you would be better off making your point without such generalizations if you don't want to be branded as such. I realize you probably didn't mean it that way, but it could certainly be taken that way.

Regardless, my SO is not from Western culture and doesn't follow that kind of social norm anyway. As I've described, she understands her behavior is out of line when not experiencing the extreme PMS and we have already gone to a doctor once and will be going again. Moreover, she very enthusiastically began trying a number of different herbal/holistic treatments that may well be working given that this month she had pretty much zero PMS symptoms.

But most important is to come at it from the perspective of being concerned about the long term effect on your relationship. The exaggerated frustrations she experiences thru unreasonable expectations she places upon you are things she is internalizing as "true" experiences, and they have a shaping effect on her overall understanding of you and your behavior.

So make it about more than your feeling being hurt, but the health of your long term relationship...

Maybe start off by telling her that you are growing to be afraid of her emotional state, and that that leads to you avoiding her entirely.

Like a variation of the old saw... "behind every successful man there is a woman."
Behind every other successful man there is a woman he is staying late at the office to avoid.
I took another approach that so far has worked beautifully. Rather than making it about me, I made it about her. Which makes sense, because it is about her. She's having problems, and it negatively affects us both, but I cannot fix them. She must fix them (and I'm more than happy to help).

When questioning a course of action with regards to relationships, I tend to take the compassionate route. Rarely has it steered me wrongly. In this case, I did a great deal of research (and some of that came from creating this thread, thanks to everyone who contributed) and encouraged her, when off PMS, to do the same. She did not realize that what she was going through was a bit off. She thought all women experience PMS this way. But after some research, it became clear that her case is extreme and she realized that she needed help much as I had.

Anyway, I do not blame a woman for having strong PMS. I would only blame someone if they were unwilling to do something about it. She has come around on that point thankfully, so I am actually proud of her for it.

They also used to have the old people walk into the woods on a cold winter's eve soon after they became unable to perform even the menial tasks assigned to the elderly. We don't live in that world anymore. :smile:

The question becomes whether or not it's worth trying to fix the problem as opposed to running away from it. I could go on, gushing about how sweet she usually is, how cute she is, how much fun she can be, how open she is, how great her cooking is and how awesome her tits are. I've been tempted to start a thread once or twice about her exceptional deep throating talents. But no, I'll just say that I made the decision that it is easily worth trying to fix this rather than running away from it.

ADDN: Phil, not trying to gang up on you. I swear when I started writing this that aninnymous' post wasn't there yet. But I do agree that the "error free female" part of your first post there was the red flag. I've seen you post enough to realize that sometimes you post things that appear to be generalizations when you don't mean them that way, so I give you the benefit of the doubt, but a bit of a caution is still advisable when posting such things (unless you really did mean it to apply to all women, in which case I vehemently disagree with that characterization).

Last edited:

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
However, MR didn't imply that ALL men were entitled pigs. Neither did Helga state that male on female violence is the only violence exists in the world.

I don't think that Phil implies that either. I think all three examples expose what the author feels are behaviours that can occur because of cultural norms. Helga that men (and women, my point) in some perhaps all cultures are tolerated to use violence against women and Phil that in the US (presumably) women's rights can come to have meant the right to do whatever they want.

Anyway, I am sure that Phil can speak for himself if he wishes to.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
IThey also used to have the old people walk into the woods on a cold winter's eve soon after they became unable to perform even the menial tasks assigned to the elderly. We don't live in that world anymore. :smile:

You haven't been to Wales recently have you? :eek:

The question becomes whether or not it's worth trying to fix the problem as opposed to running away from it. I could go on, gushing about how sweet she usually is, how cute she is, how much fun she can be, how open she is, how great her cooking is and how awesome her tits are. I've been tempted to start a thread once or twice about her exceptional deep throating talents. But no, I'll just say that I made the decision that it is easily worth trying to fix this rather than running away from it.

That is clearly the question, but I would say the decision is to stay or walk, rather than run. Run is more appropriate for a couple of my exes :smile:.