Pat Roberston

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has Pat Roberston and related organizations qualified for designation by the Departments of State and Treasury as terrorists? He called for the assasination of a democratically elected president of a friendly nation.

Or are these designations only for Muslim religious leaders?

jay

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No, these "designations" are for ANYONE sitting on an enormous oil reserve. Which Venezuela is. The 5th largest on the planet....but Iraq's was the second largest. AND we're handing over Iraq to the Sunni's...which also happen to be the controlling "party" in Saudi Arabia. Hum, connection? Maybe?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Beware of Christian suicide bombers!

They used to expect people Robertson's age to show some dementia and he's doing that very thing by sawing off the wrong end of the limb much like Oral Roberts did in his later years.

One thing I'd like to see done by the 'separation of church and state' crowd is to convince Congress that if a 'reverend' puts his foot (or mouth) into politics, he should lose his tax-exempt status.

As an aside, though, I'd like to point out that some of those outraged by Pat's unfortunate recommendation have said as much themselves about the current President of the U.S.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pecker, I agree wholeheartedly about the tax-exempt status thing, I think it's a perfect way to make this silliness stop.

There's no legitimate parallel between Pat Roberts calling for an assassination and some disgruntled dude on the street because of the following the man has. One guy might mutter something under his breath out of disgust, but if he did it in front of a microphone in the audience of millions of people, there's a good chance one or two loonies might take his advice. Personally, I'd rather see bush impeached than shot, it would be better for the country. No use turning that lame ass into a martyr.

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's just depressing that this is just another example of the hypocrisy that permeates politics so often. "If it serves MY side's aims, then it's ok. If the other side does it, it's evil and potentially threatens the Republic." No wonder 50% of the country doesn't give a damn most of the time.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
It just goes to show that Islam isn't the only faith whose fundamentalists are willing to twist and distort their religion beyond all recognition to support extremist agendas. As so often happens with those who wear their religion on their sleeves, there was nothing even remotely Christian about Robertson's remarks.

I also was struck by the irony of his saying that "we don't need another $200 billion war," when every day more and more Americans are deciding that we didn't need our current $200 billion war.

Steve

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes, the tax exempt status is crazy for these political religious groups. Of course that would never fly because they have the political clout to side step (buy) their "morality." It would apply to most of these groups because they (pretty much) all are political in their dogma.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Philly05
Hugo Chavez is not a legitimately elected president. Their form of elections is about as legitimate as Saddam receiving 100% of the vote in his last election and Iran's most recent.
Um, Chavez legitimately won a national election in which international (including US) observers were present.

Philly05

Experimental Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Good to see those on the left quick to validate a communist dictator's so called election but still accuse Bush of rigging the last two. And while I am not defending Pat Robertson's remarks, I would like to see the same outrage over the hundreds of sheikhs calling for the death of all westerners and the people who call for the death of Rumsfield and the President.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You think that if Venezuela weren't sitting on top of all that oil, we would give a shit? We ONLY care if there are natural resources involved. There are literally dozens of countries with equally or far worse situations, which we ignore.

Edit: And Chavez was as "legally" elected as half the despots, dictators and presidents on this planet.

He is busy negotiating with the Japenese to develop, build and expand the oil business in Venezuela. And IS NOT hiring American companies nor is he turning over all that oil to US and European oil companies.

Is it that hard to figure out why we are pissed off? The bush cartel, Haliburton and "friends" had their sights set on it.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by Philly05@Aug 24 2005, 08:22 PM
Good to see those on the left quick to validate a communist dictator's so called election
I assume you're referring to the 1998 and/or 2000 elections, both of which were clearly legitimate landslide victories for chavez - not the military coup and "interim government" which was shot down by popular protest in 2002. in fact, there's nothing apparently suspect about chavez' political career at all, since nobody could make the avenida baralt accusations stick.

but still accuse Bush of rigging the last two.
oh, I very much doubt bush himself had anything to do with those. that guy couldn't fix a flat tire, let alone a presidential election.

And while I am not defending Pat Robertson's remarks, I would like to see the same outrage over the hundreds of sheikhs calling for the death of all westerners
unlikely to be given much mainstream media coverage while the saudis and their satellites are such important partners with the government's pet industries.

and the people who call for the death of Rumsfield and the President.
[post=337665]Quoted post[/post]​
which people? osama bin laden? :eyes:

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Somehow it seems fundamentally wrong for a minister to call for another/others to violate one of God's laws.

Philly05: If you have knowledge of a person or persons planning to kill the President, good citizenship requires you to call the FBI. Otherwise.....

jay

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by Philly05@Aug 24 2005, 06:10 AM
Hugo Chavez is not a legitimately elected president. Their form of elections is about as legitimate as Saddam receiving 100% of the vote in his last election and Iran's most recent.
[post=337621]Quoted post[/post]​
Actually, Chávez has been legitimately elected, recalled, elected again. Several NGOs say it was fair. The U.S. tried to stage a coup once and it failed. Need I go on?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by jay_too@Aug 24 2005, 09:45 PM
Somehow it seems fundamentally wrong for a minister to call for another/others to violate one of God's laws.
[post=337682]Quoted post[/post]​

When someone on the left calls for harm or violence, its a sign of the end times. Conservatives can be expected to become apopletic and bloviate about social ills, lack of character, the evils of secularism, morality, yada yada yada.

When someone on the right calls for the same thing, yawn...its business as usual.

Let us all recall Pat Robertson placed fairly well as a Republican candidate for president. He's a major Republican fundraiser and donor and he and controls a media empire friendly to Republican causes.

Personally, I hope Robertson keeps flapping his trap so loudly and stupidly. Like Newt Gringrich and his equally voluminous mouth, he's an effective recruiting tool for the Democrats.

SG

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Does anyone know what definition/criteria that the Departments of State and Treasury use to determine if a person/organization is a terrorist? I am serious. It seems that this call to action is close.

Do I believe that the administration would make the declaration? Nah, but it would be an interesting speculation of the consequences. One possible is: "This the 700 Club. Coming to you today from one of the holiest prisons in America....outside metropolitan Lewisburg, PA. And now, our host and America's martyr, Pat Robertson!"

I have been considering writing the FCC to complain about the inappropriate use of air time by the Christian Broadcasting Network. My God, if they can get their tighty whities in a twist over 10 seconds of a bare boob, they should get all a-twitter over issuing a call for a contract over the airways.

jay

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
But they won't get upset because.....

You can do anything, even murder.....

If you do it in the name of God.....

With enough money involved.