Patrick Swayze dying?

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by klyn67, Mar 5, 2008.

1. klyn67

klyn67 New Member

Has anyone else been reading this on the net? That Patrick Swayze is dying of pancreatic cancer, and has only around 5 weeks to live? That is heartbreaking if it's true.......... :frown1:

2. B_Demention

B_Demention New Member

He does have pancreatic cancer but I don't know how he's doing. If he's on the way out then that is indeed really sad. I loved North and South, it was probably my favorite thing to watch when I'd stumble home drunk at 3am.

3. klyn67

klyn67 New Member

Ohhh, I know, SLANT, Patrick was so good in that.......... wow, this is just devastating!!!

4. JC8

JC8 Member

Albums:
    First Chris Farley, now Swayze?

5. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

It was reported by the National Inquirer or something that he was dying, but I just read on MSN that he is actually doing well and responding to treatment, and he is continuing to work.

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Here's the MSNBC/AP report.

7. MovingForward

MovingForward Member

Yes, My partner had cancer and had 6 months to live. Here we are almost 2 years later.

Technology today is amazing.

8. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is reported that he has pancreatic cancer, his publicist has not publicity said he had. Those of us who live and work in Hollywood know what rumors are like.. If it's true my prayers to him, if it's not, welcome the Hollywood and the rumor mill.

9. Principessa

Gold Member

It's true, Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. :frown1: I don't know about the 5 weeks though.

My maternal great aunt was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer right after Christmas 2006 and by March 2007 she was gone. I also had a paternal uncle who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October 1982 and he died in January 1983. It is a fast killer. :angryfire2:

Pancreatic cancer is a bitch of a disease and is nearly always fatal. The problem seems to be no one ever catches it in time. :frown1::confused: MovingForward's partner was a one in a million lucky case.

Swayze Battling Cancer

By Joal Ryan
    Wed, 5 Mar 2008 0208 PM PST
    Patrick Swayze is undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer but does not have just weeks to live, the actor's reps and doctor said Wednesday.

"Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment so far," Dr. George Fisher, Swayze's personal physician, said in a statement. "All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue."

Fisher's remarks were in rebuttal to the National Enquirer, which broke the news of Swayze's illness on its website and said the Dirty Dancing star had recently dropped 20 pounds and been given only five weeks to live.

"Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time," the actor's reps said, "which includes working on upcoming projects."

Speaking to E! News, Swayze's mother, dancer and choreographer Patsy Swayze, echoed the optimism of the star's doctor.

"I don't really want to talk about it, but I know he's sick," Patsy Swayze said. "But he has great doctors and a great prognosis, and that's all I can say."
    According to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, pancreatic cancer is the deadliest of the leading cancers. Fewer than 5 percent of patients live more than five years after diagnosis.

Swayze, 55, was recently cast as a gay cheerleading instructor in Fired Up, a big-screen comedy that began shooting last month.

As recently as Monday, Swayze was spotted running an errand at a Simi Valley, California, dance studio. An employee there told E! News the actor "looked good" and not at all as if he'd lost a lot of weight.

Producer Bobby Schwartz, who worked with Swayze last summer on the as yet unreleased indie drama Powder Blue, likewise vouched for the star's fitness on that set.

"When we were shooting, the guy looked very young, very healthy, very energetic," Schwartz told E! News.

He also filmed an A&E pilot in December called The Beast, in which he stars as an unconventional, undercover FBI agent. The network said Wednesday it was still considering the show for pickup next season.

Swayze is best known for a string of hits in the 1980s and 1990s that included Ghost, Point Break, Road House and the career-changer, Dirty Dancing, in which he played Catskills bad boy Johnny Castle.

—Additional reporting by Whitney English

(Originally published Mar. 5, 2008 at 2:04 p.m. PT.)

10. Jay1074

Jay1074 Active Member

Albums:
    This is sad news regardless. I can't say I'm a fan but I have enjoyed many movies he's starred in. I also loved the North & South miniseries. Patrick seems like a genuinely nice guy too. I wish him the best that he can hopefully pull through this, though I know the odds are against him. My maternal grandmother died of pancreatic cancer. It is a brutal disease.

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

This is so sad. I do wish him well.

12. mycatsnameis

mycatsnameis New Member

Wow! How suprising that he got cancer - he smoked 3 packs a day!

13. bimmli

bimmli Member

I used to think pancreatic cancer didn't respond to treatment and you only lived a few months to live once diagnosed. However, Steve Jobs, Apple Computers CEO had pancreatic cancer a few years ago and has been cancer free ever since. Each cancer is unique, some are more aggressive than others.

14. samhung

samhung Member

The benchmark survival rate for cancer patients is five years, followed by other landmarks noted mostly by clinical staging, various biomarkers and overall general health status.

Pancreatic cancer has a very, very low five year survival rate due to the complexity of its treatment and prognosis. In general, it is very difficult to treat and is one of the more quickly metastasizing types of solid cell tumors. It is not uncommon to see pancreatic cancer spread quickly the brain, lungs, liver and other organs. Once you have a prognosis of liver and pancreatic cancer, the survival rate is all but negligible at even a year post-diagnosis, dependent on staging and response to treatment.

I wish Patrick Swayze and his family all the best.

15. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have heard the same that all reports previously were greatly exagerated. And that he is presently working of several future projects.

I was curious if anyone here could see why chris farley was brought up in reference to the ills of Patrick(i.e. first Chris Farley now Patrick Swayze). First off Chris is dead and Patrick is only diagnosed with cancer. And I am pretty sure farley died of opiate (morphine) and cocaine intoxication and that was like 10 years ago.

16. SteveHd

Gold Member

That was quite insensitive. I'm anti-tobacco but I have limits.

------------

I've read of new treatments that have been developed within the last 5 or so years. Prior to that pancreatic cancer was a very dire diagnosis.

Very saddening.

17. visualalert

visualalert New Member

God, how incredibly dense. He doesn't have LUNG cancer which is what tobacco use is correlated with. (Thinking: "why are you bothering to explain this to someone who cannot possibly get it?")

Pancreatic cancer is a very big, very tough deal. Medical science has made huge strides in cancer treatment but this flavor is still a bitch. Best of luck to the guy.

18. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I read he had five weeks to live. Then on the radio the same night I heard the five weeks thing was sensationalism.

Whatever the case, I hope he's okay, he seems like a good person and has made some great films.

Everyone should eat healthily, with natural ingredients and stay away from chemicals and keep fit.

I think cancer is nature's way of controlling the overpopulation :confused:

19. hp6969

hp6969 New Member

I guess you went into the worm hole when Chris died and your ship can't get the internet in hyperspace. DUDE!! where have you been? It's been about...what, ten years or more since he died! Apples and oranges!! Chris OD'd, Patrick is sick with Cancer. Get a clue.

BTW, I had an Uncle that died nine months to the day that he was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, and it was pretty bad at the end. My thoughts are with him and his family.

20. hp6969

hp6969 New Member

I guess you went into the worm hole when Chris died and your ship can't get the internet in hyperspace. DUDE!! :eek: where have you been? It's been about...what, ten years or more since he died! Apples and oranges!! Chris OD'd, Patrick is sick with Cancer. Get a clue.

BTW, I had an Uncle that died nine months to the day that he was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, and it was pretty bad at the end. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted