Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 4 1/2 years ago ... a rare form, mind you, and evidently a bit more treatable than more common types.
But goes to show that it's hard to make assumptions merely on mention of the words, pancreatic cancer.
Jobs is said to be fine today.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's true, Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. :frown1: I don't know about the 5 weeks though.

My maternal great aunt was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer right after Christmas 2006 and by March 2007 she was gone. I also had a paternal uncle who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October 1982 and he died in January 1983. It is a fast killer. :angryfire2:

Pancreatic cancer is a bitch of a disease and is nearly always fatal. The problem seems to be no one ever catches it in time. :frown1::confused: MovingForward's partner was a one in a million lucky case.

Swayze Battling Cancer

By Joal Ryan
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 0208 PM PST
Patrick Swayze is undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer but does not have just weeks to live, the actor's reps and doctor said Wednesday.

"Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment so far," Dr. George Fisher, Swayze's personal physician, said in a statement. "All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue."

Fisher's remarks were in rebuttal to the National Enquirer, which broke the news of Swayze's illness on its website and said the Dirty Dancing star had recently dropped 20 pounds and been given only five weeks to live.

"Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time," the actor's reps said, "which includes working on upcoming projects."

Speaking to E! News, Swayze's mother, dancer and choreographer Patsy Swayze, echoed the optimism of the star's doctor.

"I don't really want to talk about it, but I know he's sick," Patsy Swayze said. "But he has great doctors and a great prognosis, and that's all I can say."
According to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, pancreatic cancer is the deadliest of the leading cancers. Fewer than 5 percent of patients live more than five years after diagnosis.

Swayze, 55, was recently cast as a gay cheerleading instructor in Fired Up, a big-screen comedy that began shooting last month.

As recently as Monday, Swayze was spotted running an errand at a Simi Valley, California, dance studio. An employee there told E! News the actor "looked good" and not at all as if he'd lost a lot of weight.

Producer Bobby Schwartz, who worked with Swayze last summer on the as yet unreleased indie drama Powder Blue, likewise vouched for the star's fitness on that set.

"When we were shooting, the guy looked very young, very healthy, very energetic," Schwartz told E! News.

He also filmed an A&E pilot in December called The Beast, in which he stars as an unconventional, undercover FBI agent. The network said Wednesday it was still considering the show for pickup next season.

Swayze is best known for a string of hits in the 1980s and 1990s that included Ghost, Point Break, Road House and the career-changer, Dirty Dancing, in which he played Catskills bad boy Johnny Castle.

—Additional reporting by Whitney English

(Originally published Mar. 5, 2008 at 2:04 p.m. PT.)

sorry about your aunt and uncle......my aunt was diagnosed with some sort of pancreatic disease (or maybe it was canceer....i'm not quite sure....bad memory) several years ago and ended up having to have a large chunk of her pancrious (ok spelling sux tonight) removed and she now has some pretty serious health conditions (none of which are fatal thank god) that greatly limit what she can do....any way i over heard my uncle (her husband) talking to my dad one day and he was saying that it really was amazing that she was still alive and that people with her condition (come to think of it he did mention cancer) were usually dead in less than 5 years if treatments were affective, and that the survival rate for most was only 4 or 5 % .

SlickWilly

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
am seeing more & more exposure about pancreatic cancer these days. Indeed, it does appear to be a real bitch.

The professor I most respected in college (b/c he pushed me to excel) was diagnosed with it last fall, & died before Thanksgiving.

My great aunt was also diagnosed with it last fall, & died earlier this week.

I'm not looking for sympathy... just saying that Pancreatic cancer is scary. Seems most people die from it within months after it's diagnosed. Others hold on longer, but they appear to be in the minority.