Paul Harvey

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
awww I'm sad to hear this, though he has been old as idk what for as long as I can remember...... RIP

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is a national institution for you. I remember when working for a radio station in upstate new york, he used to drive me nuts when we were carrying his show.

Every engineer has a built in alarm that goes off in his head if there is more than two seconds of dead air or so. You can't help but sit up and wonder if something just went wrong as you hear the speech compressors and the old GE INLINE start to automatically turning up the gain causing the hiss on the network feed to come up.

But then he would bark back to life and continue with his delivery and you knew everything was right with the world.

The worst was at the end of the broadcast when he would say:

"This is Paul Harvey...... <long pause, where you wonder if you lost the network feed>..... <3 mississippi, 4 mississippi> ... Good Day?" With that last "Good Day" uplifting at the end like a sardonic question, because he has just finished reading the wierdest story which he saved for last.

I remember him advertising Hastings Perfect Circle Piston Rings, and Bardahl. That used to puzzle me, wondering if the average listener would be taking his car into the shop and requesting a certain brand of piston rings.

Last edited:

CALAMBO

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
read in 2000 he signed a 100 million contract with ABC radio......thats the real story...i will miss his dailey show.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
"This is Paul Harvey...... <long pause, where you wonder if you lost the network feed>..... <3 mississippi, 4 mississippi> ... Good Day?" With that last "Good Day" uplifting at the end like a sardonic question, because he has just finished reading the wierdest story which he saved for last.

I knew someone in radio who put the final "Good Day" on a separate cart. He played the show on tape, and after "This is Paul Harvey ..." he would stop the tape, and wait ... and wait ... and WAIT ... and then play the separate cartridge with "Good Day!" on it.

Media
I am sorry to hear that Paul Harvey is gone. I grew up listening to him. He was a wonderful part of a gentler time. The world is less for the loss of him.

Good day, Paul, and thank you.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I remember him advertising Hastings Perfect Circle Piston Rings, and Bardahl. That used to puzzle me, wondering if the average listener would be taking his car into the shop and requesting a certain brand of piston rings.

Yup, you're starting to show your age. Don't know if you remember the "fine quality automotive engineering" of 1900 through the late 1960s, but it was common to have a car engine "overhauled" rather than rebuilt. An overhaul was basically a regular tuneup AFTER you or your mechanic had pulled the pistons and replaced the piston rings with those just a micro inch or so bigger, then slammed them back into the motor block. You could overhaul an engine at least twice before it appeared you were driving a diesel powered car without any exhaust cleaning mechanisms. You were good to go for maybe another 20 thousand miles or until you found some victim to buy your gently used 'Mericuhn automobile so you could "trade up."

Somewhere someplace they still market oil and fuel additives under the brand name of Bardahl "designed to make your engine run quieter" and temporarily reduce burning too much oil.

As for Paul Harvey, I believe there is a Paul Harvey Jr. who may carry on the AM radio tradition. I remember the son temporarily replacing his father when Paul Sr. had open heart surgery a couple of decades back.

If anyone is interested, I've got the title to a swell 1962 Chevy pickup that never needs an oil change. You just have to "top it off" with one or two quarts of 10/30 before you drive it anywhere. Make me an offer. :biggrin1:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That's sad news. He was simply wonderful.

for illumination purposes could u list 3 other things you would describe as "simply wonderful" cuz i gotta say i just don't get it.

I wasn't a regular listener but he was a cranky right wing charleton heston conservative that consistently edited the truth to fit his "news" which was nothing more than his judgemental opinions woven together with product endorsements that he whored out to old people. just because somebody attaches themselves like a parasite to popular culture for 100 yrs doens't make them good.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
for illumination purposes could u list 3 other things you would describe as "simply wonderful" cuz i gotta say i just don't get it.

I wasn't a regular listener but he was a cranky right wing charleton heston conservative that consistently edited the truth to fit his "news" which was nothing more than his judgemental opinions woven together with product endorsements that he whored out to old people. just because somebody attaches themselves like a parasite to popular culture for 100 yrs doens't make them good.

Wow, How do you feel about Andy Rooney ? But even you have to admit his delivery is more entertaining than most news:

YouTube - The Rest of the Story

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow, How do you feel about Andy Rooney ? But even you have to admit his delivery is more entertaining than most news:

YouTube - The Rest of the Story

ya rooney's pretty much past his expiration date too. and if you're talking about paul harvey's delivery, it was a hideous affectation. it was like listening to a continuous loop of that guy reporting on the hindenberg crash , or a great uncle who had survived a stroke and a metal plate in his head. I'd rather listen to a cat being strangled.

I just think it's bizarre how we attach this sentimental reverence to things and people just because they're familiar and banal, and for some reason we find their dull repetition comforting like thunking our heads against a wall after a heavy dose of thorazine. i'm not an ageist, i think conan obrien and jay leno are equally useless. but they endure because thier lame style is easy to shovel down the throats of semi conscious viewers, and the network can sell 2 min celebrex commercials.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, that is a voice I will truly miss. We used to listen to him when I was growing up on WWDB out of Philly.

Dragon Rider

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I grew up listening to Paul for as long as I can remember. I have had the occasion to have dinner with on a couple of different times. Wha a down to earth gentleman he was. My nephew was his broadcast engineer for the past few years and according to my brother, Paul has not been the same since the love of his passed last year. RIP Paul, you will be missed!