paying by check online

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by somethingwild00999, Sep 25, 2009.

1. somethingwild00999

somethingwild00999 New Member

Albums:
    this may be a stupid question, but i'm 19 and don't know crap about bills lol. anyway, i have my own checking account and everything, but the statements get mailed home and my parents check them.

i was considering buying something online that i'd rather my parents not see. if i pay by check, will they know what i bought?

thanks

2. SuperSizedBalls

SuperSizedBalls Active Member

Albums:
    Your privacy is more secure if you use a U.S. Postal Service Money Order to make such purchases. You may also want to arrange to have your 'private' purchases delivered to a safe but alternate address. Just my 2 cents worth.

3. Awsome09

Awsome09 New Member

yeah... if you purchase by electronic check, then the company name might show up on the statement. Always be cautious!

4. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

Stay away from paying with anything that can be tied to you. Money order is a good alternative as it isn't tied to your account on which there is your name and every transaction through which is recorded. Electronic purchase is especially bad if your statement gets checked by your parents as the banks will record everything done electronically too as a measure to fight fraud.

Good old cash is still a way to go if you don't want your purchase traced back to you but I assume it's not an option for what you plan to, ahem, purchase? :)

5. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Here's a question.........why are your parents reading your mail in the first place?

6. D_Rawkesbye Deadheade

I was wondering the same thing after some thinking.

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    You can get a pre-paid MasterCard, Visa or Amex at places like Target. Load them with cash and use them for untraceable online purchases.

One thought: if they're opening your bank statements, how do you know that they aren't going to open a parcel sent to your house?

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

They won't know what you bought, but the company that you bought it from might show up. Sometimes sex related sites change their names in transaction so that if someone sees it they won't know.

9. somethingwild00999

somethingwild00999 New Member

Albums:

They're spending a fortune on me for college, they just want to make sure I'm spending my money responsibly/not using it up too fast. and yeah i was gonna have the thing i bought delivered to my dorm, i just don't want the company name showing up on my statement.

guess i'll try a prepaid visa card or straight cash thanks for the help!!

10. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    Use PayPal. Very easy and convenient!

Draft saved Draft deleted