PC Help? HS Fan Spins, Case Fan Spins, HD Spins, *No Video*

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Okay so I resolved to finish building my PC today.

Its gone from DEAD to everything spinning and powering up except I get no video and also no POST beep errors.

Anyone know what the issue is?

The board has a 20 and a 4 pin connector (separate). I have it connected with 20 pins now. If I connect 20+4 then it goes dead/the fans spin half a revolution then stop.

I had heard that you need the 4 pin for PCI-E? The video card is PCI-E (there is no onboard).

The drive is unformatted...is that the issue?

I'd appreciate some help because I've been trying to build this for about six months! (on and off...mostly off).

I feel I am close...

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was hoping for something more technical... lol.

As far as I know all the connections are fine although obviously not if I have no video.

The cable works fine as does the monitor...I think either my PSU isn't up to it...which I doubt because its 500W power supply and a budget PCI-E card or theres another connection I'm missing.

More suggestions please :smile:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ITS WORKING!!!!

I plugged in the OTHER 4 pin plug. The one with no name. The other one says 4P on it so I thought that was the one to use.

Anyway I'm just formatting the hard drive now!!!!!!!!

Only thing is theres a delay of ten seconds or more between me pressing the power on button and display coming onscreen...

But ITS WORKING!!!

I must have spent 4 or 5 HUNDRED POUNDS on it.

And now I have a motherboard and PSU that are surplus. But IT WORKS!

Thank you jeebus

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pentium based motherboards have 2 power connections. One 20 or 24 pin ATX main power connector, and a 4 or 8 pin secondary power supply next to the CPU.
This connection is REQUIRED for the PC to boot.

Sounds like you need to go through your bios setup and clean up the settings in there.
Shut off un-necessary hardware that you aren't going to use, and set up your boot options. Its best to set it to "Load failsafe defaults, or Optimal settings". That will help to cut down on your POST time.

I'm assuming you used the correct standoffs in the case for the correct locations?
Heat sink compound on the CPU fan to CPU?

Likewise with the USB connectors - don't connect those wrong, as you can blow the controller and the board.

You can use a fresh unformatted drive. When you boot to your CD/DVD drive, with Windows setup, it will automatically detect the drive, and then ask you if you want to format it.

Remember to load OS, then Drivers, then Hardware software if needed, Service Packs and updates, THEN programs.
Make sure you correct all conflicts or unknown hardware in the system options before installing service patches.

If you choose to install XP Service Pack 3, make sure you get the network distributable, NOT the windows update version. Do this option right after all drivers have been installed for your hardware, and the OS is operating ok.

PM Me if you need more help.
C

Last edited:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks its working now, I'm just downloading the chipset drivers. Here's the spec FYI:

2GB RAM
Pentium D Dual Core Processeor (x2 2.40GHz)
Nvidia Geforce 7600 PCI-E GFX
Soundblaster PCI card

The mobo is a cheapo ConRoe 945PL-GLAN but it works. I did buy a more expensive SLI board but that wasn't starting either...maybe due to the 4 pin connector thing :tongue:

Well at least now I know for next time. Initially I was extremely scared of damaging the board since I was told they are very sensitive. But I treated the board like a no good whore and its working great so they're pretty robust. I dropped quite a few screws in there too. I've lost my grabber tool...

In total I spent £511.25 which is a lot but I did buy redundant parts...eg two PSUs and two mobos and two heatsinks (first one was too big for the case)

I think I'll go to bed now. Night!

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks its working now, I'm just downloading the chipset drivers. Here's the spec FYI:

2GB RAM
Pentium D Dual Core Processeor (x2 2.40GHz)
Nvidia Geforce 7600 PCI-E GFX
Soundblaster PCI card

The mobo is a cheapo ConRoe 945PL-GLAN but it works. I did buy a more expensive SLI board but that wasn't starting either...maybe due to the 4 pin connector thing :tongue:

Well at least now I know for next time. Initially I was extremely scared of damaging the board since I was told they are very sensitive. But I treated the board like a no good whore and its working great so they're pretty robust. I dropped quite a few screws in there too. I've lost my grabber tool...

In total I spent £511.25 which is a lot but I did buy redundant parts...eg two PSUs and two mobos and two heatsinks (first one was too big for the case)

I think I'll go to bed now. Night!

Way to go. You finally got it running.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I usually don't any trouble throwing a pc together but one time I was just baffeled why it wasn't powering on, it took a bit to figure out but I bent a pin installing the processor and was actually able to bend it straight and reinstall it. I like the pinless chips much better.