Pelosi has amnesia about waterboarding briefing

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002 - washingtonpost.com

So let's get this straight - Pelosi is among the legislators that are pushing for an independent commission to be established to probe the evolution of the interrogation policies.

But she was part of a 'secret briefing' in 2002 in which the tactics - including waterboarding - were addressed and explained.

Do excessive botox injections cause amnesia?

Haha, unbelievable. This woman is a complete fucking idiot.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
To know that twit is second in line to succeed Obama scares the living shit out of me.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
When does her fucking term end? The quintessential disgrace of our political system since McCarthy.
Can I ask exactly what has she done to be considered "disgraceful" except possibly try to implement policies with which you don't agree?

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
star: Give a context at least before you start your routine Pelosi-bashing.

This is from yesterday's Washington Post:

Pelosi denied these claims. "We were not -- I repeat -- were not told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation methods were used. What they did tell us is that they had . . . the Office of Legal Counsel opinions [and] that they could be used, but not that they would," she said.

She said some officials, such as Goss, who went on to become CIA director, argued the lawmakers should have known the waterboarding would be used because they were told it was a legal practice. But she said they had no way of knowing that for certain, and they were then forbidden from talking about what they had learned so they could not work to outlaw the practice.

She summed up the briefings this way: "This is what they're doing. That's all they do. They don't come in to consult. They come in to notify. They come in to notify. And you can't -- you can't change what they're doing unless you can act as a committee or as a class. You can't change what they're doing."

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
She is not an idiot she is a politician, and is covering her ass. You should know the game by now, they all do it, left and right. IMO the only ones out there who are true to their convictions are Libertarians and that is why they are categorized as nutjobs.

Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002 - washingtonpost.com

So let's get this straight - Pelosi is among the legislators that are pushing for an independent commission to be established to probe the evolution of the interrogation policies.

But she was part of a 'secret briefing' in 2002 in which the tactics - including waterboarding - were addressed and explained.

Do excessive botox injections cause amnesia?

Haha, unbelievable. This woman is a complete fucking idiot.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
VinylBoy, Trinity, star, etc:

Nancy Pelosi said that Goss and CIA officials met with select members of congress and TOLD them certain information which they were then not allowed to repeat in public (classified information) nor debate.

Congress was not allowed to form commitees to "oversee" CIA interrogations. Congress was not allowed to change policy. Congress was not allowed to even debate. Congress was not allowed to call CIA agents to Capitol Hill for questioning.

Goss showed up and TOLD them, notified them about certain things - which may or may not have included waterboarding - but who cares? It's irrelevent because Pelosi was not allowed to act nor discuss nor begin "impeachment" hearings (as I believe Trinity suggested be done on another thread) based on CLASSIFIED information.

Just because dems gained control of the senate and house in 2007 and 2008 doesn't mean that they could start debating and holding hearings on classified information. But this presidential change, and the decisions to declassify hitherto secret memos have brought an opportunity to now begin a formal debate.

If I am getting any of this wrong, somebody please set me straight.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
When does her fucking term end? The quintessential disgrace of our political system since McCarthy.
Oh, I don't like Pelosi either. But the above statement is over the top. Quintessential? She's a lightweight compared to some of the disgraceful politicians that have come down the pike since McCarthy.

Here, I'll name a few real quick for you- Nixon, John Mitchell, Strom Thurman, George Wallace, Spiro Agnew, Adam Clayton Powell, Wilbur Mills, Marion Berry, Alan Cranston, Barney Frank, Caspar Weinberger, J Edgar Hoover, Randy Cunningham, Eliot Spitzer, Tom DeLay, Bob Ney, Rumsfeld, Cheney.....

I could go on and on. But you get the picture, Nancy is in good company in the annals of recent dumb-ass and downright dangerous politicians since 1950. She isn't even in the Top-10.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Nancy Pelosi said that Goss and CIA officials met with select members of congress and TOLD them certain information which they were then not allowed to repeat in public (classified information) nor debate.

Congress was not allowed to form commitees to "oversee" CIA interrogations. Congress was not allowed to change policy. Congress was not allowed to even debate. Congress was not allowed to call CIA agents to Capitol Hill for questioning.

Goss showed up and TOLD them, notified them about certain things - which may or may not have included waterboarding - but who cares? It's irrelevent because Pelosi was not allowed to act nor discuss nor begin "impeachment" hearings (as I believe Trinity suggested be done on another thread) based on CLASSIFIED information.

Just because dems gained control of the senate and house in 2007 and 2008 doesn't mean that they could start debating and holding hearings on classified information. But this presidential change, and the decisions to declassify hitherto secret memos have brought an opportunity to now begin a formal debate.

If I am getting any of this wrong, somebody please set me straight.

According to meeting participants, Pelosi didn't even question the interrogation methods; including waterboarding. If she has such a problem with it now, where was her 'morality' and 'conviction' when she was getting the full rundown in a small meeting?

I would speculate that she, like 99% of the rest of the United States, was seething with anger at the malicious attacks of 9/11.

Now, some 7 1/2 years later, she's 'found Jesus,' and, along with the rest of the Democratic Party want to start prosecuting the very people that were out there defending us and putting their lives on the line.

Funny, people back here laying around, bloated, shoveling food into their mouths...and judging interrogation measures halfway around the world when they have NO GOD DAMN IDEA what was going on with those prisoners and the other reprehensible conditions surrounding these incidences.

If Obama, Pelosi, Reid, James Carver and the rest of the libs want to change torture guidelines - JUST CHANGE THEM. Stop digging up skeletons and stirring up the pot. Start looking forward and move on from Bush for chrissakes.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media

It's a crock of crap. Nothing legally gives the executive branch power to stop congressional investigations. She is trying to white wash. Both sides are rotten to the core, and have played a role in the destruction that is coming to this nation. Both sides gave away jobs in trade agreements, and both sides helped arm the Chinese. China is now making a great show of it's naval strength. They didn't even have an aircraft carrier until Bill Clinton had the USA sell them one. He said they'll use it for a cruise ship. Now tell me, how many on this board believe they are going to use it for a cruise ship? All the trade with China has given them over 1 trillion in reserves to fight an economic or military war. How stupid were the American people to buy made in China? Pretty Damned stupid!

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
Oh, I don't like Pelosi either. But the above statement is over the top. Quintessential? She's a lightweight compared to some of the disgraceful politicians that have come down the pike since McCarthy.

Here, I'll name a few real quick for you- Nixon, John Mitchell, Strom Thurman, George Wallace, Spiro Agnew, Adam Clayton Powell, Wilbur Mills, Marion Berry, Alan Cranston, Barney Frank, Caspar Weinberger, J Edgar Hoover, Randy Cunningham, Eliot Spitzer, Tom DeLay, Bob Ney, Rumsfeld, Cheney.....

I could go on and on. But you get the picture, Nancy is in good company in the annals of recent dumb-ass and downright dangerous politicians since 1950. She isn't even in the Top-10.

You forgot to add Ted Kennedy.

mikeyh9in

Cherished Member
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
BlackHoleInvester...
Where is your outrage and hate over Cheney and Bush? The creeps that came up with the idea that torture was not torture as long as you get a lawyer to agree with you.
The sad thing is that NONE of this torture stuff is new to the people who have been paying attention over the past 8 years. The liberals have been the only ones standing up and defending what America stands for... the f*cking republicans just sat back and gave cheney and bush all the power and authority they needed -- without question or objection.

The only good thing to come out of bush/cheney is the death of the republican party.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
starinvestor writes:

Funny, people back here laying around, bloated, shoveling food into their mouths...and judging interrogation measures halfway around the world when they have NO GOD DAMN IDEA what was going on with those prisoners and the other reprehensible conditions surrounding these incidences.

If Obama, Pelosi, Reid, James Carver and the rest of the libs want to change torture guidelines - JUST CHANGE THEM. Stop digging up skeletons and stirring up the pot. Start looking forward and move on from Bush for chrissakes.

----------------------

Star, if people "back here" are "laying around, bloated, shoveling food into their mouths...and judging interrogation measures halfway around the world" it's because we've not even been allowed to honestly debate this issue. Bush has NEVER been upfront about torture and "enhanced interrogation techniques" and what takes place at Guantanamo and Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's all fucking CLASSIFIED!

NOW, finally, we get a chance to open the whole Bush chapter up and debate the goddamn secret prisons WHICH WERE OPERATING IN THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S NAME.

Shouldn't the american people have a little input into who, what, where and why these decisions were made, why we scrapped the Geneva Convention? If waterboarding a suspect 83 times in a month is worth breaking international law?

The U.S. Supreme Court has been consistently ruling against Bush administration overreaches in the past few years.

--------------------

The U.S. Supreme Court case, "Hamdan v. Rumsfeld", 2006, in a 5-3 decision (chief justice John Roberts recused himself), held that:

* "Enemy combatants" are protected by the Geneva Conventions.

* The AUMF does not grant Bush the authority to create new tribunals without congressional mandate.

* Conspiracy is not a war crime under the Uniform Code of Military Justice

Impact of the ruling: The ruling's most substantial point is that all non-citizen prisoners are protected by the Geneva Conventions. This essentially renders illegal the Bush administration's program of indefinite detention, mild torture, and extraordinary rendition, calling on the administration to treat all detainees in a manner consistent with international human rights standards.

--------------------

I'm GLAD we have a new administration in place that is declassifying previously classified information.

Conservatives just love saying that this declassification is making us "unsafe", but how the hell can the american people begin an open honest debate WHEN WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE?

There's a good reason conservatives don't want these practices declassified. BECAUSE THEY'RE ILLEGAL. The U.S. Supreme Court would corroborate this.

I don't want Pelosi and Reid to "just change" policy. I want that policy opened up and discussed by the american people with as much information as we can get: on television, in newspaper editorials, in our living rooms.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
I don't want Pelosi and Reid to "just change" policy. I want that policy opened up and discussed by the american people with as much information as we can get: on television, in newspaper editorials, in our living rooms.

Pelosi should change her name to Haman because the gallows will be for the Democrats if Obama gets bullied by the left into attempting to criminalize differences in policy.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Pelosi should change her name to Haman because the gallows will be for the Democrats if Obama gets bullied by the left into attempting to criminalize differences in policy.
They weren't policy differences, they were CRIMES