Pelosi Helps Obama Get His Goove Back

D

deleted15807

All the Pelosi bashing but she's The One who worked the details........

Health Vote Caps a Journey Back From the Brink
The White House chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, once Ms. Pelosi’s right hand man on Capitol Hill, was pushing Mr. Obama to scale back his ambitions and pursue a pared-down bill.

Mr. Obama seemed open to the idea, though it was clearly not his first choice. Ms. Pelosi scoffed.

Kiddie care,” she called the scaled-down plan, derisively, in private.

CHANGE HAS COME

D

deleted15807

I won't be happy until we have single-payer healthcare. Let's expand Medicare to everyone and be done with it.

One step at a time. This was a huge win against incredible odds. If it had died it would have been another 15 or more years of the same.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
All the Pelosi bashing but she's The One who worked the details........
The bitch has the biggest cock on Capitol Hill - and I say that will all due affection and admiration.

I won't be happy until we have single-payer healthcare. Let's expand Medicare to everyone and be done with it.
I'm with TomCat. Maybe not Medicare necessarily, but a bonafide public option to provide real competition to the insurance industries. This bill does much too little, in my opinion.

Let's see what's to come with the upcoming reconciliation bills.
If we can only get 51 Senators to support the Public Option... :biggrin:
I really don't see that happening. You're joking, right? There are other problems besides, many of which would be solved with a serious public option. Biggies in my view: Doesn't do nearly enough to contain costs. Leaves way to much power (and profit) in the hands of Insurance and Pharma, I could go on, but I won't.

One step at a time. This was a huge win against incredible odds. If it had died it would have been another 15 or more years of the same.
Maybe . . . I still think it could have been a good campaign issue for the Dems at the mid-terms had they let the Repubs kill it. Now they have a bill that in the public perception is being forced through, and that the uninformed/misinformed electorate doesn't like. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out in November. I don't have high hopes right now. I don't have high hopes the bill will be substantially improved in time either. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

After healthcare vote, Democrats turn to damage control - AP/LA Times

Health care vote results: bill passes, Obama to sign it into law - CS Monitor

^ Links within.

Last edited:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

A 'win?'

Arm twisting

Manipulation by reconciliation

bribes

threats

forcing a bill to a public that clearly doesn't want it

That is a very liberal definition of 'win.'

And by liberal I mean ridiculous.

Hopefully indigent crackheads can get on some kind of prescription that can appease their requirement for a 'fix' and now I have the pleasur of paying for it.

Crackhead: 1
Starinvestor: 0

Crackhead: 1
Taxpayer: 0

Illegal immigrant: 1
Person who has paid over $1 million in federal taxes: 0

Democrats: 1
Majority of Americans: 0

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
A 'win?'

Illegal immigrant: 1
Person who has paid over $1 million in federal taxes: 0

Democrats: 1
Majority of Americans: 95%

Hey there, Starpooper, the day you have paid (cumulative) over $1 million in Federal Income Tax let me know. I've got some great investment property you should be looking at. It has a nice, serene view of the desert mountains surrounding the old atomic testing side in Nevada. Close to Vegas. Amenities. A great fixer upper for first time buyer. :smile:

D

deleted15807

The bitch has the biggest cock on Capitol Hill - and I say that will all due affection and admiration.

I'm with TomCat. Maybe not Medicare necessarily, but a bonafide public option to provide real competition to the insurance industries. This bill does much too little, in my opinion.

It's not a perfect bill and a lot more still needs to be done. But despite the incredible amount of disinformation and flat out lies(i.e. death panels), despite the screams in those summer long Town Hall Meetings, despite it all it was passed. If they had lost this one then the entire agenda would be vulnerable. The Republicans/FoxFauxFixed News through everything at it. Everything and they lost.

Fear Strikes Out

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey there, Starpooper, the day you have paid (cumulative) over $1 million in Federal Income Tax let me know. I've got some great investment property you should be looking at. It has a nice, serene view of the desert mountains surrounding the old atomic testing side in Nevada. Close to Vegas. Amenities. A great fixer upper for first time buyer. :smile:

Thanks.

I prefer performing real estate, with cap rates in the low teens - and they are plentiful right now.

I'm sure the double-wide you are trying to unload is perfectly beautiful, but unless it is pumping out some serious rent, I'm not interested.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, to be honest, all that's left is the original concrete pad of the old stick-built home that once sat upon it but it includes almost 500 acres. You could always fence it in and then lease out the grazing rights to cowboys who specialize in raising glow-in-the-dark beef. So, you're a street artist too? You "perform" real estate? That's a trick I'd like to see. Maybe you can post yourself on Youtube "performing" real estate:dance:

Last edited:

callmedafonz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
we could make healthcare more affordable if we just open it up across state lines. More competition, better prices, that simple.

lets cute back on malpractice lawsuits, this way a doctor doesnt have to pay $150k+ in malpractice insurance. there could have been several other options that would reach the same goal IMHO.

Sargon, the phama companies were for the healthcare plans...more insurance, more people using their meds

maxcok

Expert Member
Media

The greatest example of what is wrong with politics. The worst of the worst.
Really? Worse than Congressman Joe Wilson (R-SC) shouting "You lie!" at the President during his SOTU address? Worse than Randy Neugebauer (R-TX) shouting "Baby killer" at Bart Stupak during his heartfelt floor speech. Worse than that way-too-tan and rheumy lush, Minority Leader John Boner (R-OH), holding up his pocket copy of the Constitution for the Teabaggers, while quoting from the Declaration of Independence? Or calling reconciliation a "trick", and saying the passage of this bill "will ruin our country" and "bring on Armaggedon"? The same John Boner who said the loss of 3,000 U.S. troops and the maiming of 30,000 others was "a small price to pay" to keep us safe from an imaginary enemy that didn't attack us on 9/11? Really? Nancy Pelosi is the worst? Really??

Best Boner quote of all: "I love staff, there's nobody who treats staff better than I do."

Yeah, I'd like to forcefeed this blowhard my staff till he chokes. Then disinfect it.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
It's not a perfect bill and a lot more still needs to be done. But despite the incredible amount of disinformation and flat out lies(i.e. death panels), despite the screams in those summer long Town Hall Meetings, despite it all it was passed. If they had lost this one then the entire agenda would be vulnerable. The Republicans/FoxFauxFixed News through everything at it. Everything and they lost.
Well, they may have lost this battle, but they haven't lost the war. Like I said, it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. If anything, I expect the opposition to be even more vehement, more strident, dirtier and more determined.

Speaking of the 'agenda', I'd like to see meaningful financial oversight restored to the marketplace. I'd also like to see a New Deal/Manhattan Project approach to updating our tired infrastructure and developing new clean sources of energy. Threefold benefit - a) provide JOBS, JOBS, JOBS [the pipls would get that, support it, and like it best of all] - b) get us off our addiction to petroleum, and all the domestic and international conflicts that leads too - c) clean up the environment and curtail climate change. Major advances in civilization have occured with the perfection of new technologies and new energy sources. Cultures that don't take the lead are left in the dust. This, I believe, is the key to our future, and we better get going hard and fast.

But the problem, I believe, includes insurance companies, big pharma AND the current fee-for-service model of medical care.

Is Fee-for-Service What Ails America's Health Care System?
Yes of course, this is a big part of the problem, I didn't list them all. Also, Americans' expectations to have every possible test and procedure they want, even if there is no medically sound reason for it, is another of the biggest drivers of our high medical expenditures.

Still, my biggest problem with the bill is that it does not provide a public option to compete with Big Insurance and Big Pharma. Not only that, it mandates people to purchase insurance, providing a huge new market pool, the likes of which advertisers and corporations only dream of. It does nothing to restrict the cost of meds that I can see, in fact it extends the patents drug companies hold on prescription drugs, which means they can continue to charge whatever the hell they want. The projections are that medical costs and premiums will increase slightly over time, when they ought to be coming down. In many ways I think this bill was a gift to Big Insurance and Big Pharma. Wall Street is lovin it right now, and to me that is not a good sign.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you about this bill Sargon, I really do. But I have very mixed feelings right now, and some very serious reservations. As I also said, I sincerely hope I am wrong. The best thing I can see is, it does require and guarantee coverage for people with pre-existing conditions, and unlike most provisions of the bill, that kicks in rather quickly. This is a very good thing, to end on a positive note.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I want the same deal Congress gets... If it's good enough to provide it to wealthy Congressional leaders, then obviously it's good enough for all other citizens too.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A 'win?'

forcing a bill to a public that clearly doesn't want it
Yes, America won and you lost... AGAIN.

Next time, leave 'the public' out of your deluded rants, and just admit that YOU don't want reform that benefits anyone but yourself... granted, nobody will respect your bigotry then either, but at least you won't be labeled a coward too, for trying to pin your personal beliefs onto millions of others who are not even here to refute your patently false assertions.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
lets cute back on malpractice lawsuits, this way a doctor doesnt have to pay $150k+ in malpractice insurance.
I agree 110%... No more lawsuits when doctors make a mistake that destroys lives... Just revoke their medical license, and blacklist them from ever practicing medicine in this country again... One strike, you're out. Get a new career asshole.