Pelosi Helps Obama Get His Goove Back

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^ It's inevitable that they will, but I think they're waiting until after the midterms. If the Dems maintain their hold, like most election handicappers expect them to, watch the teabaggers go 'militia' on the country.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A 'win?'

Arm twisting

Manipulation by reconciliation

bribes

threats

forcing a bill to a public that clearly doesn't want it

That is a very liberal definition of 'win.'

And by liberal I mean ridiculous.

Hopefully indigent crackheads can get on some kind of prescription that can appease their requirement for a 'fix' and now I have the pleasur of paying for it.

Crackhead: 1
Starinvestor: 0

Crackhead: 1
Taxpayer: 0

Illegal immigrant: 1
Person who has paid over $1 million in federal taxes: 0

Democrats: 1
Majority of Americans: 0

Hey starinvestor, you were aware that a sizable chunk of Americans (approx 1 in 6, or roughly 17%) who oppose the bill oppose it because it doesn't go far enough, right? Or that when the bill is broken down and Americans are educated about what it actually does, then support goes up?

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Also, those same Senate rules are available to the GOP when they are in power. The Senate determines its rules at the start of each Congress. And interesting how you extol majority rules in one breath and then criticize the Democrats for using a procedural tool to "force" through a bill with a simple majority vote.

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey starinvestor, you were aware that a sizable chunk of Americans (approx 1 in 6, or roughly 17%) who oppose the bill oppose it because it doesn't go far enough, right? Or that when the bill is broken down and Americans are educated about what it actually does, then support goes up?

TomCat, that bill is such a maze I don't think the lawmakers know 1/2 of the thing; let alone an average citizen.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Americans by 9 percentage points have a favorable view of the health care overhaul that President Obama signed into law Tuesday, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, a notable turnaround from surveys before the vote that showed a plurality against it.
By 49%-40% those surveyed say it was "a good thing" rather than a bad one that Congress passed the bill. Half describe their reaction in positive terms, as "enthusiastic" or "pleased," while about four in 10 describe it in negative ways, as "disappointed" or "angry."
The largest single group, 48%, calls the bill "a good first step" that should be followed by more action on health care. An additional 4% also have a favorable view, saying the bill makes the most important changes needed in the nation's health care system.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Pelosi helped Obama get his GOOVE back alright. :rolleyes:

Americans by 9 percentage points have a favorable view of the health care overhaul that President Obama signed into law Tuesday, a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll finds, a notable turnaround from surveys before the vote that showed a plurality against it.
By 49%-40% those surveyed say it was "a good thing" rather than a bad one that Congress passed the bill. Half describe their reaction in positive terms, as "enthusiastic" or "pleased," while about four in 10 describe it in negative ways, as "disappointed" or "angry."
The largest single group, 48%, calls the bill "a good first step" that should be followed by more action on health care. An additional 4% also have a favorable view, saying the bill makes the most important changes needed in the nation's health care system.

This was a one day poll and Gallup admits:

Polls conducted entirely in one day, such as this one, are subject to additional error or bias not found in polls conducted over several days.
Gallup

Even Gallup admits that more Democrats supported it, more Republicans did not support it and Independents were evenly split.

Gallup's headline says:
By Slim Margin, Americans Support Healthcare Bill's Passage
Independents evenly split in their basic reactions, but more are "angry" than "enthusiastic"

While it also pleases most of his Democratic base nationwide, it is met with greater ambivalence among independents and with considerable antipathy among Republicans. Whether these groups' views on the issue harden or soften in the coming months could be crucial to how healthcare reform factors into this year's midterm elections.
Gallup

The Dems out in November for being stupid.

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^The Dems will remain in power, because losers like you don't have the numbers, the money or compelling candidates to beat them with.

I know reality hurts when it sets in, but I swear if you frig your clit a bit, it's a 'good hurt'.

TomCat, that bill is such a maze I don't think the lawmakers know 1/2 of the thing; let alone an average citizen.
Then that is YOUR failure as an adult to educate yourself... I know about it intimately, only because I have taken the time to inform myself and learn about the issue fully... Why didn't you? Because you chose not to. Don't come on here whining to everyone about how you're confused and ignorant. It's not the world's responsibility to dumb itself down to your elementary understanding of the issue. YOU are an adult. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY as a voter to INFORM YOURSELF.

Since you obviously don't know what you are talking about, then here's a suggestion... Go educate yourself about the issue. Then, when you've made it clear that you actually know the facts, people will respectfully listen to your ideas and concerns(and I'll eagerly defend your right to do so), because then, you'll actually know enough to be worth listening to. As it is now, you're just an embarrassment to yourself and a waste of this website's bandwidth.

Last edited:

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

I won't argue with that point, but they probably know a good deal more than the average citizen, especially when you consider that most folks wouldnt be able to name their Representative or Senators, or name their state capital, or briefly and accurately describe the three branches of government and how they interact with each other.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
The Dems out in November for being stupid.
If the Dems are out in November, which is a lifetime away in politics, it will be because they were brave enough to take a political risk on behalf of the American people.

If the Dems are out in November, it will be because the people are stupid. Stupid like you.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

If the Dems are out in November, it will be because the people are stupid. Stupid like you.

She ain't stupid, she's just obsessive (which doesn't help her intelligence but is a different thing).

Prediction time: Though I'm probably blowing smoke out my ass, I believe the Dems will suffer only very slight losses in November.
Not as much as often happens in midterm elections.

D

deleted15807

And in that same poll:

No one gets overwhelmingly positive ratings on the issue, but Obama fares the best: 46% say his work has been excellent or good; 31% call it poor. For congressional Democrats, 32% call their efforts on health care excellent or good; 33% poor.

Congressional Republicans, all of whom voted against the bill, are viewed more negatively. Although 26% of those surveyed rate the GOP's effort as excellent or good, 34% say it has been poor.
And I would say those 26% who view the GOP as favorable are the same 20-something percent that still approved of Bush when he left the office of President and the country in tatters. In other words who the fuck cares about them? Retardation is a fact of life.

If the Dems are out in November, which is a lifetime away in politics, it will be because they were brave enough to take a political risk on behalf of the American people.

Brave indeed. An entire year of flat out lies and propaganda.

.........it is also a victory for America’s soul. In the end, a vicious, unprincipled fear offensive failed to block reform. This time, fear struck out.

.........This is a many sided victory. For courage over fear . . . fact over fiction . . . hope over cynicism . . . policy over politics . . . and people over profit.

...........A few weeks ago Sarah Palin sarcastically asked an audience "How's that hopey changey thing goin' for ya?" At last the Democrats have answered her: "Just fine, how you doin' with fear and anger?"

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
She ain't stupid, she's just obsessive (which doesn't help her intelligence but is a different thing).
I submit he/she/it is both - and also confused.

Prediction time: Though I'm probably blowing smoke out my ass, I believe the Dems will suffer only very slight losses in November.
Not as much as often happens in midterm elections.
Well, with history as a guide, the Dems will certainly lose seats in the House. I think the losses will be more significant than slight (avg. for first mid-terms is 6), though it is highly unlikely it could flip.

With more key senators retiring, the Senate super majority is up for grabs and could go either way.
I doubt it, but I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the Dems hold 60 seats after the dust settles.

Ultimately, it depends on how the electorate views the economy in November and other unforseen and unknowable events. In the meantime, we're both blowing smoke out of our asses. Educated smoke, but smoke nonetheless.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
With more key senators retiring, the Senate super majority is up for grabs and could go either way.

snip

I doubt it, but I'll be very pleasantly surprised if the Dems hold 60 seats after the dust settles.

how will the democrats "hold" 60 seats, when they only have 57 at the moment? Or are you suggesting that they will gain 3 seats in the 2010 election and "hold" 60 after that happens?

Last edited:

B_talltpaguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
^That would be quite the accomplishment given the history of things and the huge anti-incumbent sentiment out there on all sides of the political spectrum, especially since on top of that, it's their turn to have more seats up for grabs.

My wild guess is we wind up with a 53-55 Senate members caucusing with the Dems after the elections this fall.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
how will the democrats "hold" 60 seats, when they only have 57 at the moment? Or are you suggesting that they will gain 3 seats in the 2010 election and "hold" 60 after that happens?
I am not 'suggesting' anything. I am saying that if the latter scenario comes to pass, I will be very much surprised. As I said.

Enough with your stupid semantic games. Are you retarded, or just looking for trouble?

(cont) . . . .

. . . so just admit it, you came in to the thread spoiling for a fight with me, knew it exactly, ignored all else, and came right after me for no reason.
Who is "spoiling for a fight", little man? For your answer, go here .

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not 'suggesting' anything. I am saying that if the latter scenario comes to pass, I will be very much surprised. As I said.

Enough with your stupid semantic games. Are you retarded, or just looking for trouble?

Who is "spoiling for a fight", little man? For your answer, go here .

you offered a very ambiguous and questionable statement...with perfect civility, i asked you for a clarification.

nowhere did i insult you, yet you feel compelled to insult twice in a completely uncalled for manner. I would suggest you try and behave with some level of maturity.

I asked you to expand on these statements

i asked you how the democrats would "hold" 60 seats...i asked if that meant you did not know that they only had 57 now (thusly they would "hold"), or if you were suggesting that they would gain 3 seats in the upcoming election (they would "hold" 60 after winning the election)

it is a perfectly legitimate question to ask, about what your political prediction was.

so which was it?

If you cannot handle a civil post, even from an enemy, asking for clarification, and you hate me to such a degree that even a neutral post causes you such anger, i would say you have a serious problem.